Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spalling bricks

The top layer of bricks on the wall surrounding our flats, built in
2003, has started to spall due to the freezing weather last winter and
probably the wrong bricks used by the builder.
The builder and NHBC have both denied any responsibility and it is
down to us to solve the problem as economically as possible. Court
action would probably be expensive and futile.
We could of course have all the top layer removed and replaced by the
correct type of brick, but does anyone have a cheaper solution?
The wall is about 300 metres long.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chudford wrote:
The top layer of bricks on the wall surrounding our flats, built in
2003, has started to spall due to the freezing weather last winter and
probably the wrong bricks used by the builder.
The builder and NHBC have both denied any responsibility and it is
down to us to solve the problem as economically as possible. Court
action would probably be expensive and futile.
We could of course have all the top layer removed and replaced by the
correct type of brick, but does anyone have a cheaper solution?
The wall is about 300 metres long.

NHBC wont give a **** because it's not structural.

I would doubt there is any other option than replacing the wrong bricks with
the correct ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chudford" wrote in message
The top layer of bricks on the wall surrounding our flats, built in
2003, has started to spall due to the freezing weather last winter and
probably the wrong bricks used by the builder.
The builder and NHBC have both denied any responsibility and it is
down to us to solve the problem as economically as possible. Court
action would probably be expensive and futile.
We could of course have all the top layer removed and replaced by the
correct type of brick, but does anyone have a cheaper solution?
The wall is about 300 metres long.

A clear masonry sealer or a masonry paint would prevent further damage from
the same cause, as would fitting capping stones. Sealer / paint won't hide
the damage, but an overhanging capping stone might make it less obvious.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chudford wrote:
The top layer of bricks on the wall surrounding our flats, built in
2003, has started to spall due to the freezing weather last winter and
probably the wrong bricks used by the builder.
The builder and NHBC have both denied any responsibility and it is
down to us to solve the problem as economically as possible. Court
action would probably be expensive and futile.
We could of course have all the top layer removed and replaced by the
correct type of brick, but does anyone have a cheaper solution?
The wall is about 300 metres long.

This is the one case one of those coatings that soak into the bricks and
seal them actually work.

I had a bit of a problem where water was splashing onto some render and
freezing. I applied the stuff, repainted, and its fine now. No probs
last winter at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chudford" wrote in message
The top layer of bricks on the wall surrounding our flats, built in
2003, has started to spall due to the freezing weather last winter

and
probably the wrong bricks used by the builder.
The builder and NHBC have both denied any responsibility and it is
down to us to solve the problem as economically as possible. Court
action would probably be expensive and futile.
We could of course have all the top layer removed and replaced by

the
correct type of brick, but does anyone have a cheaper solution?
The wall is about 300 metres long.

When we had a similar problem on the top of the walls of an
industrical unit, we installed a capping of folder zinc sheet and
totally solved the problem - contractor made a very neat and tidy job
of it.

AWEM