Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spalling bricks

chudford wrote:
The top layer of bricks on the wall surrounding our flats, built in
2003, has started to spall due to the freezing weather last winter and
probably the wrong bricks used by the builder.
The builder and NHBC have both denied any responsibility and it is
down to us to solve the problem as economically as possible. Court
action would probably be expensive and futile.
We could of course have all the top layer removed and replaced by the
correct type of brick, but does anyone have a cheaper solution?
The wall is about 300 metres long.

This is the one case one of those coatings that soak into the bricks and
seal them actually work.

I had a bit of a problem where water was splashing onto some render and
freezing. I applied the stuff, repainted, and its fine now. No probs
last winter at all.