Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connecting DVD Player

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
YUV is known as components. I dunno why it appeared on domestic
equipment as it was originally a way of recording high quality
pictures to professional videotape. And really offers no advantage in
theory over RGB via a SCART.

Component will also often be the only connection available that will
support progressive scan on a fair bit of kit - so is handy for
projector use.

I know that - but there's no reason RGB couldn't support progressive scan.

--
*Welcome to **** Creek - sorry, we're out of paddles*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:
Front of our panny CRT has L, R, composite and S-VHS sockets. Designed
for camera use.

Most sets have. For game consoles as well.

Funny but my new tv has hdmi, scart, vga, component, composite, ethernet,
usb but no svideo (not even on a scart).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
YUV is known as components. I dunno why it appeared on domestic
equipment as it was originally a way of recording high quality
pictures to professional videotape. And really offers no advantage in
theory over RGB via a SCART.

Component will also often be the only connection available that will
support progressive scan on a fair bit of kit - so is handy for
projector use.

I know that - but there's no reason RGB couldn't support progressive scan.

I suppose its the same problem as using non standard refresh rates on
SCART etc. It could be done, but you would risk damaging kit that was
not expecting it. Perhaps they assume that component connections are new
enough that the designers ought to be aware the the possibility of a non
standard signal there.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
YUV is known as components. I dunno why it appeared on domestic
equipment as it was originally a way of recording high quality
pictures to professional videotape. And really offers no advantage in
theory over RGB via a SCART.

Component will also often be the only connection available that will
support progressive scan on a fair bit of kit - so is handy for
projector use.

I know that - but there's no reason RGB couldn't support progressive scan.

I suppose its the same problem as using non standard refresh rates on
SCART etc. It could be done, but you would risk damaging kit that was
not expecting it. Perhaps they assume that component connections are new
enough that the designers ought to be aware the the possibility of a non
standard signal there.

They're only really 'new' in the UK. But still doesn't explain their
choice. After all computer analogue monitors are RGB fed.

--
*Gaffer tape - The Force, light and dark sides - holds the universe together*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

Not via a scart though... (and I have seen a few of those killed with
improper refresh rates)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
They're only really 'new' in the UK. But still doesn't explain their
choice. After all computer analogue monitors are RGB fed.

Not via a scart though... (and I have seen a few of those killed with
improper refresh rates)

I doubt the SCART itself was worried about refresh rates. ;-)

But I was just curious about the principle behind using a component signal
for this use.

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Connecting PVC to EMT MiamiCuse Home Repair 8 February 10th 09 07:49 PM
HDMI Portable DVD Player, DIVX Portable DVD Player, Audio VideoPortable DVD Players [email protected] Electronics 0 February 26th 08 03:51 AM
Connecting PVC to pex jack Home Repair 0 December 21st 04 03:27 PM
Connecting my TS kens Woodworking 5 March 12th 04 12:55 AM
Need help connecting 9 TV's to 1 DVD player MBell72398 Electronics Repair 2 September 22nd 03 05:07 PM