Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ikea sinks

Are Ikea sinks compatible with standard waste fittings? I seem to remember
that their wastes are bottle traps and I'd prefer to go for a "traditional"
bend. Knowing that Ikea tend to be a bit non standard with some dimensions
(like needing 620 mm worktops for the base units) I thought I'd better try
to find out first because it'll be a 160 mile round trip to go back for the
fittings if I need them.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Clarke writes:

Are Ikea sinks compatible with standard waste fittings?

No.

I seem to remember
that their wastes are bottle traps and I'd prefer to go for a "traditional"
bend. Knowing that Ikea tend to be a bit non standard with some dimensions
(like needing 620 mm worktops for the base units) I thought I'd better try
to find out first because it'll be a 160 mile round trip to go back for the
fittings if I need them.

I used the Ikea waste fittings to couple up to the sink, but sawed
off after that and connected to standard UK trap with washing machine
inlets, etc. Spent a while rummaging through waste fittings in a local
plumber, to find bits which were a near enough match to saw up and
solvent weld to the Ikea bits (which don't solvent weld very well).

Also meant I could position the u-trap at the back of the cupboard,
for minimum interferance with the storage space.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My Ikea Varde sink unit came with a not-too-well-thought-out
arrangement with a flexi-hose to match 40mm waste.

Flexi-hose waste is a recipe for trouble. I'd suggest chuck it away.
But, AFAIK, the sink waste mountings are standard modern to take
strainer-basket waste fittings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wondered if it was a misstype and you had left the 'T' out of the
subject ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
I wondered if it was a misstype and you had left the 'T' out of the
subject ;-)

I had this image of a blue and yellow cuboid gradually submerging into
the North Sea.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 11, 9:09*am, Mike Clarke wrote:
Are Ikea sinks compatible with standard waste fittings? I seem to remember
that their wastes are bottle traps and I'd prefer to go for a "traditional"
bend. Knowing that Ikea tend to be a bit non standard with some dimensions
(like needing 620 mm worktops for the base units) I thought I'd better try
to find out first because it'll be a 160 mile round trip to go back for the
fittings if I need them.

--
Mike Clarke

I got the following good advice from this forum when fitting my son's
kitchen:

" I got a standard basket waste by 'Pyramis' from the local Magnet
Trade
counter for less than a fiver. Take care to get one with a
rectangular
overflow fitting if using an Ikea sink with such overflow.

No doubt Ikea will use the returned item for its original purpose
which
would appear to be that of collecting semen samples from elephants
"
This waste worked well.

Need black leather cleaner for an Ikea chair (for fancy leather £200 chair), but Ikea don't deliver! spencer[_2_] UK diy 6 November 23rd 08 10:25 PM
two sinks? yawnmoth Home Repair 12 August 9th 08 01:51 AM
Copper Sinks Are Hot! [email protected] Home Ownership 0 April 26th 08 04:27 PM
Copper Sinks Are Hot! [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 26th 08 04:26 PM
Pedestal sinks Harlan Messinger Home Repair 6 June 23rd 07 08:42 PM