Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Range cooker - gap between units

Just had a dual-fuel range cooker installed, electric ovens/grill and
gas hob. It's 900mm wide but the gap between the units is at least
950mm. The top of the hob is above the height of the worktops, which
is granite and therefore non-combustible anyway.
I asked the kitchen fitter why the gap was so big and he told me that
his gas-safe person told him he needed at least a 25mm gap on either
side, so that's what he worked to. Anyone know if this is true? I
can't find anything in the installation manual except something
suggesting the opening should be at least 910mm to permit the cooker
to be moved in and out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wibbled:

Just had a dual-fuel range cooker installed, electric ovens/grill and
gas hob. It's 900mm wide but the gap between the units is at least
950mm. The top of the hob is above the height of the worktops, which
is granite and therefore non-combustible anyway.
I asked the kitchen fitter why the gap was so big and he told me that
his gas-safe person told him he needed at least a 25mm gap on either
side, so that's what he worked to. Anyone know if this is true? I
can't find anything in the installation manual except something
suggesting the opening should be at least 910mm to permit the cooker
to be moved in and out.

I'm planning on a RangeMaster 900 gas and specifically checked these
details, 3 times.

AFAICS 910mm clearance was my understanding on both the bottom and wall
units, for normal units that are 410mm or greater above the worktop.
There's a larger clearance (75mm gap either side) if positioning between
dresser style cupboards that run from the worktop to the ceiling. Just read
the manual again.

I don't know if there is something overriding in the Gas Regs, but it would
be unusual IME for a manufacturer's instructions to try to be looser than
the Gas Regs - but more common to be tighter, in which case manufacturer
wins.

In the end I have settled on a 25mm gap either side just to give me a bit of
slack, but that was purely personal...

See if one of the regular GasSafe folk wishes to comment...

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
Just had a dual-fuel range cooker installed, electric ovens/grill and
gas hob. It's 900mm wide but the gap between the units is at least
950mm. The top of the hob is above the height of the worktops, which
is granite and therefore non-combustible anyway.
I asked the kitchen fitter why the gap was so big and he told me that
his gas-safe person told him he needed at least a 25mm gap on either
side, so that's what he worked to. Anyone know if this is true? I
can't find anything in the installation manual except something
suggesting the opening should be at least 910mm to permit the cooker
to be moved in and out.

Clearance around a cooking appliance shall be in accordance with the
manufacturer's instructions.

If these are not available then there are general guidance dimensions which
should be followed.

problem with two gas ovens in range cooker news[_3_] UK diy 2 January 26th 08 05:08 PM
Gap between Electric Cooker & Kitchen Units Merryterry UK diy 11 September 21st 07 01:02 AM
Range type cooker boiler Gibbo UK diy 6 October 25th 05 08:20 PM
Cannon cooker range [email protected] UK diy 1 August 28th 04 01:56 AM
Range cooker recommendations? [email protected] UK diy 8 July 18th 03 04:50 PM