Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earlex wdp1200p broken, twice

Hello,

I bought an Earlex wd1200p vacuum because it had the integral socket
so that I could use it for dust extraction with power tools (green
Bosch ones, if that makes any difference).

Earlier this year the vacuum failed. Earlex told me the pcb had failed
and sent me a new vacuum cleaner because they did not have the
parts in stock to repair mine.

I'm afraid to say that this vacuum has failed too. First it stopped
working when the switch was in position one (vacuum on continuously)
and now it has failed completely and will not work in switch positions
one or two.

I only use it for DIY, so it is not getting heavy or daily use. I am
concerned that I have had two failures within six months. If they send
a replacement will it break just as quickly? Are they all this
unreliable or have I been unlucky?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I bought an Earlex wd1200p vacuum because it had the integral socket
so that I could use it for dust extraction with power tools (green
Bosch ones, if that makes any difference).

Earlier this year the vacuum failed. Earlex told me the pcb had failed
and sent me a new vacuum cleaner because they did not have the
parts in stock to repair mine.

I'm afraid to say that this vacuum has failed too. First it stopped
working when the switch was in position one (vacuum on continuously)
and now it has failed completely and will not work in switch positions
one or two.

I only use it for DIY, so it is not getting heavy or daily use. I am
concerned that I have had two failures within six months. If they send
a replacement will it break just as quickly? Are they all this
unreliable or have I been unlucky?

dunno, i have one of the cheapo ones aldi sell every now and then, 30 quid
if that, it takes upto a 1200 watt power tool, and i have always kept the
tools i use on it below that, and it's been fine for about 4 years.

i gather none of your 'bosch green' tool are over the rating of the hoover's
power take off socket?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I bought an Earlex wd1200p vacuum because it had the integral socket
so that I could use it for dust extraction with power tools (green
Bosch ones, if that makes any difference).

I've got the one without the socket (Wickes badge) and its had 3+ years of
utter abuse & misuse. Still going strong.

Maybe the electronics aren't up to the job?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 20:01:56 +0100, Stephen wrote:

I am concerned that I have had two failures within six months. If they
send a replacement will it break just as quickly?

Are the bust ones getting returned? Think of the stock of spares you
are building up if not. B-)

Are they all this unreliable or have I been unlucky?

Mines fine, apart from the castors breaking free in the feet where
it's been dropped a couple of times. That includes using the power
feed through for the table saw which if not over the rating is pretty
close to it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 23:20:40 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Are the bust ones getting returned? Think of the stock of spares you
are building up if not. B-)

There's a 12 month guarantee. I only bought it in January, so that's
two broken in 6 months! They have been returned to the manufacturer
for complimentary repair but I don't know what will happen once the
guarantee runs out. I don't want to be paying for spares every few
months. I thought a branded one might be more reliable than the
generic one at Toolstation.

Thanks,
Stephen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 20:11:53 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

Maybe the electronics aren't up to the job?

I don't know. The switch has two positions: always on (like a
conventional vacuum) and controlled by power tool. Last time the tool
control failed and I was told it was the PCB that had failed.

When it broke this time, the always on position did not work but the
tool control did, for a day or two, but then it broke completely. It
seems strange the always-on should fail first this time.

Thinking out loud, do motors generate spikes as they spin down? Are
the spikes when I switch off my sander destroying the control
electronics?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 20:47:29 +0100, "gazz" wrote:

i gather none of your 'bosch green' tool are over the rating of the hoover's
power take off socket?

I must look more closely at Aldi. The problem is that they sell
something good one week and if you miss it, you have to wait a year
for it to be restocked.

I have only used it with a plane once or twice but mainly use it with
a 1/3 sheet sander. I don't think these are particularly current
thirsty tools.

I have tried to use it with a delta sander. The first vacuum worked
with it but this one would only work intermittently. I wondered if it
was the opposite: was the power draw too low for the vacuum to detect
it? OTOH it might just have been the start of the fault developing.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 17:27:44 +0100, Stephen wrote:

Thinking out loud, do motors generate spikes as they spin down? Are
the spikes when I switch off my sander destroying the control
electronics?

I think you have two different faults one with the control
electronics and one with the actual switch, though it could be faulty
switch in both cases.

There hasn't been a clamour of "mines terrible" and most people in
here and not known for being backward in coming forward. So perhaps
you have just been unlucky or Earlex have a duff batch of switches...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Jul 2009 18:40:44 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

There hasn't been a clamour of "mines terrible" and most people in
here and not known for being backward in coming forward. So perhaps
you have just been unlucky or Earlex have a duff batch of switches...

Quite the contrary, it was people here praising them that made me rush
out and buy one. Like you said, hopefully I have just been unlucky.

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

There hasn't been a clamour of "mines terrible" and most people in
here and not known for being backward in coming forward. So perhaps
you have just been unlucky or Earlex have a duff batch of switches...

Quite the contrary, it was people here praising them that made me rush
out and buy one. Like you said, hopefully I have just been unlucky.

Thanks,
Stephen.

I took one back after a few weeks. The switch on the replacement became
unreliable after about6 months (I fixed it)

In praise of Earlex rrh UK diy 15 November 22nd 08 10:21 PM
Earlex HVLP Sprayer [email protected] Woodworking 5 March 8th 08 03:08 PM
Earlex HVLP spreyer [email protected] UK diy 3 March 6th 08 08:51 PM
Earlex Spray Stations SJ UK diy 10 March 1st 04 11:20 PM