Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Air cleaner material for small B & S engine

My elderly cultivator (1967!) needs a new air filter for its engine.
It's a B &S single cylinder, 6000 series, ~3hp, side valve engine with
a Vacu-jet carburettor.

Probably anything will do but what's a simple solution.

Thanks for any assistance

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
My elderly cultivator (1967!) needs a new air filter for its engine.
It's a B &S single cylinder, 6000 series, ~3hp, side valve engine with
a Vacu-jet carburettor.

Probably anything will do but what's a simple solution.

Thanks for any assistance

Rob

Nylon scouring pads or s/steel pad + oil?
PeterK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 07:44:23 -0700, robgraham wrote:

My elderly cultivator (1967!) needs a new air filter for its engine.
It's a B &S single cylinder, 6000 series, ~3hp, side valve engine with
a Vacu-jet carburettor.

Probably anything will do but what's a simple solution.

Hmm, car-washing sponge would probably work - seems about the same
density as the filters I've seen in slightly larger B+S engines.

(I was wrestling with the brother-in-law's 8HP B&S-engined cultivator at
the weekend - that one's probably mid-70s and worn out enough that using
it was an 'interesting' experience :-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 July, 16:33, "PeterK" wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

My elderly cultivator (1967!) needs a new air filter for its engine.
It's a B &S single cylinder, 6000 series, ~3hp, side valve engine with
a Vacu-jet carburettor.

Probably anything will do but what's a simple solution.

Thanks for any assistance

Rob

Nylon scouring pads or s/steel pad + oil?
PeterK

Forgotten about that option. Thanks

Interesting variation on the s/s pad was using bits of it to block a
flowing leak in a car radiator until the Radseal type stuff kicked
in. Lasted for some years and went on to the next owner.
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 July, 16:33, "PeterK" wrote:

Nylon scouring pads or s/steel pad + oil?

Isn't there a risk of s/steel swarf going down the inlet? I know it
can find its way into food if the pads are used in the kitchen. I'd
stick to foam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
robgraham writes:
My elderly cultivator (1967!) needs a new air filter for its engine.
It's a B &S single cylinder, 6000 series, ~3hp, side valve engine with
a Vacu-jet carburettor.

Probably anything will do but what's a simple solution.

My 1966 B&S petrol mower used a piece of foam sponge, which you
wetted with clean engine oil and wrung out (so it wasn't dripping
any oil). Once a year (in theory, about once in 3 years in practice),
I washed the old oil out with petrol which carried all the dirt away,
wrung and left to dry, and the rewetted with new clean engine oil.

--
Andrew Gabriel