DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Air cleaner material for small B & S engine (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/281476-air-cleaner-material-small-b-s-engine.html)

robgraham July 1st 09 03:44 PM

Air cleaner material for small B & S engine

My elderly cultivator (1967!) needs a new air filter for its engine.
It's a B &S single cylinder, 6000 series, ~3hp, side valve engine with
a Vacu-jet carburettor.

Probably anything will do but what's a simple solution.

Thanks for any assistance

Rob

PeterK[_3_] July 1st 09 04:33 PM

"robgraham" wrote in message
My elderly cultivator (1967!) needs a new air filter for its engine.
It's a B &S single cylinder, 6000 series, ~3hp, side valve engine with
a Vacu-jet carburettor.

Probably anything will do but what's a simple solution.

Thanks for any assistance

Rob

Nylon scouring pads or s/steel pad + oil?
PeterK

Jules[_2_] July 1st 09 04:50 PM

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 07:44:23 -0700, robgraham wrote:

My elderly cultivator (1967!) needs a new air filter for its engine.
It's a B &S single cylinder, 6000 series, ~3hp, side valve engine with
a Vacu-jet carburettor.

Probably anything will do but what's a simple solution.

Hmm, car-washing sponge would probably work - seems about the same
density as the filters I've seen in slightly larger B+S engines.

(I was wrestling with the brother-in-law's 8HP B&S-engined cultivator at
the weekend - that one's probably mid-70s and worn out enough that using
it was an 'interesting' experience :-)

cheers

Jules

Rob G[_3_] July 1st 09 05:38 PM

On 1 July, 16:33, "PeterK" wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

My elderly cultivator (1967!) needs a new air filter for its engine.
It's a B &S single cylinder, 6000 series, ~3hp, side valve engine with
a Vacu-jet carburettor.

Probably anything will do but what's a simple solution.

Thanks for any assistance

Rob

Nylon scouring pads or s/steel pad + oil?
PeterK

Forgotten about that option. Thanks

Interesting variation on the s/s pad was using bits of it to block a
flowing leak in a car radiator until the Radseal type stuff kicked
in. Lasted for some years and went on to the next owner.
Rob

[email protected] July 1st 09 07:53 PM

On 1 July, 16:33, "PeterK" wrote:

Nylon scouring pads or s/steel pad + oil?

Isn't there a risk of s/steel swarf going down the inlet? I know it
can find its way into food if the pads are used in the kitchen. I'd
stick to foam.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] July 1st 09 09:20 PM

wrote:
On 1 July, 16:33, "PeterK" wrote:

Nylon scouring pads or s/steel pad + oil?

Isn't there a risk of s/steel swarf going down the inlet? I know it
can find its way into food if the pads are used in the kitchen. I'd
stick to foam.

It wont do much harm if it does.

Get smashed to pieces in no time.

Andrew Gabriel July 3rd 09 03:20 PM

Air cleaner material for small B & S engine

In article ,
robgraham writes:
My elderly cultivator (1967!) needs a new air filter for its engine.
It's a B &S single cylinder, 6000 series, ~3hp, side valve engine with
a Vacu-jet carburettor.

Probably anything will do but what's a simple solution.

My 1966 B&S petrol mower used a piece of foam sponge, which you
wetted with clean engine oil and wrung out (so it wasn't dripping
any oil). Once a year (in theory, about once in 3 years in practice),
I washed the old oil out with petrol which carried all the dirt away,
wrung and left to dry, and the rewetted with new clean engine oil.

--
Andrew Gabriel