Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Black decorators caulk - does it exist?

There's large gaps behind the black granite upstands where the walls
aren't straight.
Ideal solution is to reskim the wall to level it off, but this isn't
going to happen. We've decided best compromise is to use some black
filler, but I'm not sure if black caulk exists and I'm a little wary
of using silicone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 05:58:33 -0700 (PDT), Kevin wrote:
There's large gaps behind the black granite upstands where the walls
aren't straight.
Ideal solution is to reskim the wall to level it off, but this isn't
going to happen. We've decided best compromise is to use some black
filler, but I'm not sure if black caulk exists and I'm a little wary
of using silicone.

Can't you combine this with the laser toner thread and make your own?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dunno - you'll have to ask a black decorator! g

Seriously though, the white stuff can be painted any colour you like, once
it has set.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 30, 1:58*pm, Kevin wrote:
There's large gaps behind the black granite upstands where the walls
aren't straight.
Ideal solution is to reskim the wall to level it off, but this isn't
going to happen. *We've decided best compromise is to use some black
filler, but I'm not sure if black caulk exists and I'm a little wary
of using silicone.

My mother's kitchen has black upstands and they have some from of
black sealer around them. Dunno whether it's caulk or silicone -
possibly the latter as ISTR it looks shinier than caulk.

Why are you wary of silicone? Could you perhaps paint the caulk black?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Kevin writes
There's large gaps behind the black granite upstands where the walls
aren't straight.
Ideal solution is to reskim the wall to level it off, but this isn't
going to happen. We've decided best compromise is to use some black
filler, but I'm not sure if black caulk exists and I'm a little wary
of using silicone.

You can certainly get black acrylic sealants which will probably be
tougher and less slimy than silicone, and paintable if that was what you
were worried about.

See:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p85374
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:58:41 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Dunno - you'll have to ask a black decorator! g

Seriously though, the white stuff can be painted any colour you like, once
it has set.

Just a heads-up, but this side of the Pond they sell both paintable and
non-paintable stuff (I have no idea why). UK might be different of
course, but it might be worth checking the fine print for what it says
about paintability.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Kevin" wrote in message
There's large gaps behind the black granite upstands where the walls
aren't straight.
Ideal solution is to reskim the wall to level it off, but this isn't
going to happen. We've decided best compromise is to use some black
filler, but I'm not sure if black caulk exists and I'm a little wary
of using silicone.

You could splash water about the kitchen with gay abandon like my Missus
does - the stuff would be black soon enough - with mould.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 30 June, 13:58, Kevin wrote:
There's large gaps behind the black granite upstands where the walls
aren't straight.
Ideal solution is to reskim the wall to level it off, but this isn't
going to happen. We've decided best compromise is to use some black
filler, but I'm not sure if black caulk exists and I'm a little wary
of using silicone.

following on from Fred's link - this:-

Stixall M.S Polymer 290ml Black (fromToolsatan)

dries shiny - it may just be the ticket?

cheers
jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 30, 3:12*pm, mike wrote:
On Jun 30, 1:58*pm, Kevin wrote:

There's large gaps behind the black granite upstands where the walls
aren't straight.
Ideal solution is to reskim the wall to level it off, but this isn't
going to happen. *We've decided best compromise is to use some black
filler, but I'm not sure if black caulk exists and I'm a little wary
of using silicone.

My mother's kitchen has black upstands and they have some from of
black sealer around them. *Dunno whether it's caulk or silicone -
possibly the latter as ISTR it looks shinier than caulk.

Why are you wary of silicone? *Could you perhaps paint the caulk black?

Because I can't paint over silicone and that'll cause problems with
the inevitable smudges etc. where I've put too much on.
Also because you don't seem to be able to get own-brand black silicone
and this effectively makes it 3 - 4 times the price of the white/
natural stuff.

On the other hand, if it's all I can get then I'll have to go with it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember pete saying
something like:

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 05:58:33 -0700 (PDT), Kevin wrote:
There's large gaps behind the black granite upstands where the walls
aren't straight.
Ideal solution is to reskim the wall to level it off, but this isn't
going to happen. We've decided best compromise is to use some black
filler, but I'm not sure if black caulk exists and I'm a little wary
of using silicone.

Can't you combine this with the laser toner thread and make your own?

Mmm... sticky prints.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:
On Jun 30, 3:12 pm, mike wrote:
On Jun 30, 1:58 pm, Kevin wrote:

[...]

You can get *acrylic* FRAME sealer., as opposed to decorators caulk, in
a wide variety of colours. As far as I can tell, its pretty much the
same stuff. Decorators caulk, by definition, is used under decoration..;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Kevin wrote:
On Jun 30, 3:12 pm, mike wrote:
On Jun 30, 1:58 pm, Kevin wrote:

[...]

It is possible to paint over silicone. At least some silicone, for example:

http://www.absealants.co.uk/product_11-2-5_Soudal-Silirub-PDA.htm

--
Rod

onset.