Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default re-filling laser toner cartidges

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:14:35 +0100, A.Lee wrote:

I also got a coating of toner powder over the table when I did it, which
was a pain to clean.

Toner is worse than soot for making a mess that is hard to clean up.
Even the tiddly amounts that leak out when changing a cartridge can
be messy. Let alone the stuff floating about as you drill a hole into
a cartridge and pour in fresh toner.

I normally buy new branded (not refurbished(*)) and shop about on the
'net for the best price. It's easy to get new branded cartridges £20
below the "high street" price.

(*) I'm wary of cheap and/or poor quality toner and my HP printer has
the photoconductive drum as part of the cartridge as well. Now if
some one can recomend a consitently reliable quality refurb I might
be tempted.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

be messy. Let alone the stuff floating about as you drill a hole into
a cartridge

Don't drill it, melt it.

Some toner suppliers supply a widget with the bottle of toner which you
heat up and apply to thte spot indicated by the destructions to create a
hole. You then fill the cart and bung it up with the supplied plug.

As this is uk.diy, of course, you'll come up with your own.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
(*) I'm wary of cheap and/or poor quality toner and my HP printer has
the photoconductive drum as part of the cartridge as well. Now if
some one can recomend a consitently reliable quality refurb I might
be tempted.

I'll back any on my web site with a 30 day no quibble money back guarantee
of satisfaction. There are three different companies I buy from, as the
availability of empty cartridges affects the availability of recycled
cartridges, but they all guarantee they have remanufactured the cartridge,
(i.e. stripped, rebuilt, replaced parts as necessary, refilled with good
quality toner and inspected to the manufacturer's original specs) rather
than just refilled them with a generic toner.

http://www.inktecshop.co.uk/acatalog/hp_laser.html

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 29, 7:27*pm, "nightjar" cpb@insert my surname here.me.uk
wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message

ll.co.uk...

(*) I'm wary of cheap and/or poor quality toner and my HP printer has
the photoconductive drum as part of the cartridge as well. Now if
some one can recomend a consitently reliable quality refurb I might
be tempted.

I'll back any on my web site with a 30 day no quibble money back guarantee
of satisfaction. There are three different companies I buy from, as the
availability of empty cartridges affects the availability of recycled
cartridges, but they all guarantee they have remanufactured the cartridge,
(i.e. stripped, rebuilt, replaced parts as necessary, refilled with good
quality toner and inspected to the manufacturer's original specs) rather
than just refilled them with a generic toner.

http://www.inktecshop.co.uk/acatalog/hp_laser.html

Interesting site, unfortunately the HP cartridges I use are cheaper at
John Lewis.

A larger font would be useful on the T&C page.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Don't drill it, melt it.

Some toner suppliers supply a widget with the bottle of toner which you
heat up and apply to thte spot indicated by the destructions to create a
hole. You then fill the cart and bung it up with the supplied plug.

Funnily enough did this very thing with a kit from
http://www.refilltoner.com to fill a HP Laserjet 6MP cartridge. The
heating tool is just a soldering iron with a round part on the end -
took a few secs to melt the hole and 30 secs to fill with new toner. So
far it's working perfectly and I'll be ordering more toner as I have a
few old cartridges here.

E.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 05:12:44 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

http://www.inktecshop.co.uk/acatalog/hp_laser.html

Interesting site, unfortunately the HP cartridges I use are cheaper at
John Lewis.

Prompted me to wander off and have a look. The recycled black is only
£8.16 cheaper than OEM and the colours only £6.36. Not worth the risk
in my view.

Also looked for laser photo paper but ended up at the "bounce page".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Toner is worse than soot for making a mess that is hard to clean up.
Even the tiddly amounts that leak out when changing a cartridge can
be messy. Let alone the stuff floating about as you drill a hole into
a cartridge and pour in fresh toner.

The one on my ultra cheap Samsung has a removable plug once you've removed
the end cover - held on by self tapping screws.

--
*Nostalgia isn't what is used to be.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:17:44 +0100 (BST), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 05:12:44 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

http://www.inktecshop.co.uk/acatalog/hp_laser.html

Interesting site, unfortunately the HP cartridges I use are cheaper at
John Lewis.

Prompted me to wander off and have a look. The recycled black is only
£8.16 cheaper than OEM and the colours only £6.36. Not worth the risk
in my view.

Also looked for laser photo paper but ended up at the "bounce page".

I had to refill cartridges on my HP5PN and 2 others of the same model a
number of times. Worked well and about ¼ of the price of new.

The tool for melting the hole had to be heated up - no problem - then tape
put over the hole.

Got mine from the place below - very helpful and good service [1].

http://www.refilltoner.com/

[1] Not orderd anything for about 4 years now.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I normally buy new branded (not refurbished(*)) and shop about on the
'net for the best price. It's easy to get new branded cartridges £20
below the "high street" price.

Same here, I buy mine from http://www.improeurope.com - who purchase
originals from other folk's overstock. Really fast service shipping from
Belgium.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
Prompted me to wander off and have a look. The recycled black is only
£8.16 cheaper than OEM and the colours only £6.36. Not worth the risk
in my view.

That, unfortunately, is the problem with good quality remanufactured
cartridges. They often cost nearly as much to recycle as to make in the
first place, which is why there are some dodgy ones on the market. There are
some where the difference is a lot more, but I try to offer every ink and
toner cartridge available.

Also looked for laser photo paper but ended up at the "bounce page".

Thanks for that. I'll have to look into it.

Colin Bignell.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
Interesting site, unfortunately the HP cartridges I use are cheaper at
John Lewis.

They buy more than me :-) Sometimes my suppliers do special offers and I can
pass them on, but it is really only the compatible inkjet cartridges and ink
refill kits that I sell enough of to be able to buy direct from the
manufacturers.

A larger font would be useful on the T&C page.

Thanks for the comment. I'll have a look, but there is a lot of text to
include and people don't like having to scroll down too far, so getting the
balance right is difficult.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
Also looked for laser photo paper but ended up at the "bounce page".

For no obvious reason, the whole section had become flagged as not visible
on the web site. That has been corrected and the paper is back online. The
ecommerce programme does have a bit of a history of occasional odd
behaviour, which is why I am changing to something more modern.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 05:12:44 -0700 (PDT), Man at B&Q wrote:

http://www.inktecshop.co.uk/acatalog/hp_laser.html

Interesting site, unfortunately the HP cartridges I use are cheaper at
John Lewis.

Prompted me to wander off and have a look. The recycled black is only
£8.16 cheaper than OEM and the colours only £6.36. Not worth the risk
in my view.

?£8.16 cheaper!
if you have an older HP 4/5 series laser printer you can get a new
original*toner cart for that price.**
ebay *http://tinyurl.com/lgz74c

\0