Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Exploding" washing machine

Calvin Sambrook wrote:

Guess what I'm doing this weekend! (Apart from dismantling it all
out of interest).

I'll wager 50p that one or more of the concrete blocks have come away from
their moorings, broken and the resulting debris has caused the rest of the
damage.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
om...
Calvin Sambrook wrote:

Guess what I'm doing this weekend! (Apart from dismantling it all
out of interest).

I'll wager 50p that one or more of the concrete blocks have come away from
their moorings, broken and the resulting debris has caused the rest of the
damage.

It's dark right now so no photos but I think I now know what happened.

The agitators (three plastic fins sticking into the drum) attach to the
inner drum by a fancy nut and bolt the head of which sticks into the space
between the two skins of the drum. Also in that space is the heating element
and normally the bolt head misses the heater. From the current shape of the
heating element, the gouge out of the inner drum skin and what's left of the
nut and bolt I'd say the bolt came loose and caught the heater, mashing it
further into contact with the drum. The drum then continued to rotate for
another 300 or so degrees with the heater gouging into it and reshaping it
as it went past.

All that energy bounced the drum around within the outer casing ripping
hoses off, tearing one of the support struts and smashing the concrete block
into the side walls of the machine so they dented outwards (I wondered why
it was so hard to get out of the gap it was in!). Interestingly the block
only lost a small chip off one corner.

Does anyone need any bits from an Indesit WIE167 before I Ebay things like
the motor, control board, pump etc?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
om...
Calvin Sambrook wrote:

[...]

Surely if it is only 2 years old, you can get it replaced under the sale
of goods act!?

Toby...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Calvin Sambrook" wrote in message
"Phil L" wrote in message
om...
Calvin Sambrook wrote:

[...]

You may be able to get a new one.. it isn't the sort of thing that should
happen.
How old is it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:48:42 +0100, Toby
wrote:

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
om...
Calvin Sambrook wrote:

[...]

You could be entitled to a free repair or a replacement if the problem
is not down to misuse. Contact the retailer. They may try to fob you
off but a washing machine should last more than two years.

--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 10:48:42 +0100, Toby
wrote:

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
om...
Calvin Sambrook wrote:
[...]

My washing machine is fine though !?!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toby" wrote in message
Calvin Sambrook wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
om...
Calvin Sambrook wrote:

[...]

I took some photos yesterday, they're he
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/csambr...achineFailure#
I think the bolt I found and thought was originally holding the agitators on
was in fact holding the heater elements in place. The amount of thread
showing hints that it might have worked loose.

And thanks to you lot we're also going down the SoGA route. I'll let you
know how we get on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 27, 8:30*am, "Calvin Sambrook" wrote:
"Toby" wrote in message

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
.com...
Calvin Sambrook wrote:

[...]

Would you mind if they were posted on the wiki? Would make a nice
intro to a washing machine repair article

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Jun 27, 8:30 am, "Calvin Sambrook" wrote:
"Toby" wrote in message

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
.com...
Calvin Sambrook wrote:

[...]

No problem, They probably won't be on the picasa site forever so you're
welcome to grab them from there or PM me if you'd like originals.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Jun 27, 8:30 am, "Calvin Sambrook" wrote:
"Toby" wrote in message

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
.com...
Calvin Sambrook wrote:

[...]

Amazing - I bet it leaks now.

Good diagnosis I reckon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Calvin Sambrook wrote:

I took some photos yesterday, they're he
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/csambr...achineFailure#
I think the bolt I found and thought was originally holding the
agitators on was in fact holding the heater elements in place. The
amount of thread showing hints that it might have worked loose.

Kinell! When I saw the title "Exploding" washing machine I thought you
might be exagerating a little!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Calvin Sambrook" wrote in message

I took some photos yesterday, they're he
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/csambr...achineFailure#
I think the bolt I found and thought was originally holding the agitators
on was in fact holding the heater elements in place. The amount of thread
showing hints that it might have worked loose.

Are you saying the heater element moved into the drums path?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2009 11:14:46 UTC, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

"Calvin Sambrook" wrote in message

I took some photos yesterday, they're he
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/csambr...achineFailure#
I think the bolt I found and thought was originally holding the agitators
on was in fact holding the heater elements in place. The amount of thread
showing hints that it might have worked loose.

Are you saying the heater element moved into the drums path?

Give the man a plantpot.

http://www.diybanter.com