Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default "Exploding" washing machine

"NT" wrote in message
On Jun 27, 8:30 am, "Calvin Sambrook" wrote:
"Toby" wrote in message

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
"Phil L" wrote in message
.com...
Calvin Sambrook wrote:

Guess what I'm doing this weekend! (Apart from dismantling it all
out of interest).

I'll wager 50p that one or more of the concrete blocks have come away
from their moorings, broken and the resulting debris has caused the
rest
of the damage.

It's dark right now so no photos but I think I now know what happened.

The agitators (three plastic fins sticking into the drum) attach to the
inner drum by a fancy nut and bolt the head of which sticks into the
space between the two skins of the drum. Also in that space is the
heating element and normally the bolt head misses the heater. From the
current shape of the heating element, the gouge out of the inner drum
skin and what's left of the nut and bolt I'd say the bolt came loose
and
caught the heater, mashing it further into contact with the drum. The
drum then continued to rotate for another 300 or so degrees with the
heater gouging into it and reshaping it as it went past.

All that energy bounced the drum around within the outer casing ripping
hoses off, tearing one of the support struts and smashing the concrete
block into the side walls of the machine so they dented outwards (I
wondered why it was so hard to get out of the gap it was in!).
Interestingly the block only lost a small chip off one corner.

Does anyone need any bits from an Indesit WIE167 before I Ebay things
like the motor, control board, pump etc?

Surely if it is only 2 years old, you can get it replaced under the sale
of goods act!?

I took some photos yesterday, they're
hehttp://picasaweb.google.co.uk/csambr...achineFailure#
I think the bolt I found and thought was originally holding the agitators
on
was in fact holding the heater elements in place. The amount of thread
showing hints that it might have worked loose.

And thanks to you lot we're also going down the SoGA route. I'll let you
know how we get on.

Would you mind if they were posted on the wiki? Would make a nice
intro to a washing machine repair article

NT

Amazing - I bet it leaks now.

Good diagnosis I reckon.