Posted to uk.d-i-y
Calvin Sambrook Calvin Sambrook is offline

Default "Exploding" washing machine

"Phil L" wrote in message
om...
Calvin Sambrook wrote:

Guess what I'm doing this weekend! (Apart from dismantling it all
out of interest).

I'll wager 50p that one or more of the concrete blocks have come away from
their moorings, broken and the resulting debris has caused the rest of the
damage.

It's dark right now so no photos but I think I now know what happened.

The agitators (three plastic fins sticking into the drum) attach to the
inner drum by a fancy nut and bolt the head of which sticks into the space
between the two skins of the drum. Also in that space is the heating element
and normally the bolt head misses the heater. From the current shape of the
heating element, the gouge out of the inner drum skin and what's left of the
nut and bolt I'd say the bolt came loose and caught the heater, mashing it
further into contact with the drum. The drum then continued to rotate for
another 300 or so degrees with the heater gouging into it and reshaping it
as it went past.

All that energy bounced the drum around within the outer casing ripping
hoses off, tearing one of the support struts and smashing the concrete block
into the side walls of the machine so they dented outwards (I wondered why
it was so hard to get out of the gap it was in!). Interestingly the block
only lost a small chip off one corner.

Does anyone need any bits from an Indesit WIE167 before I Ebay things like
the motor, control board, pump etc?