Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plumbers perks?

I had a 26 gallon hot water copper cylinder replaced recently by a
local plumber. While here was at it I also got him to replace the CH
pump and realign the adjacent pipework. I supplied both the pump and
the tank after asking him for his advice during his 'estimate' visit.

All in all a satisfactory job was done apart from a minor niggle - he
helped himself to my old tank, which I had not realised until after he
was paid and gone. As it happens I had already been quoted £17 for it
at a local scrapyard - provided that I removed the foam insulation
first.

So what is the expected arrangement 'in the trade' for copper scrap?
Should the plumber assume that it is all his, and not discuss it with
the customer before making off with it?

DJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David J wrote:
I had a 26 gallon hot water copper cylinder replaced recently by a
local plumber. While here was at it I also got him to replace the CH
pump and realign the adjacent pipework. I supplied both the pump and
the tank after asking him for his advice during his 'estimate' visit.

All in all a satisfactory job was done apart from a minor niggle - he
helped himself to my old tank, which I had not realised until after he
was paid and gone. As it happens I had already been quoted £17 for it
at a local scrapyard - provided that I removed the foam insulation
first.

So what is the expected arrangement 'in the trade' for copper scrap?
Should the plumber assume that it is all his, and not discuss it with
the customer before making off with it?

DJ

I would class that as theft and ask him to please return it, seen as it
has not been agreed he could have it!

Cheekey bugger!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 June, 14:56, Toby wrote:
David J wrote:
[...]

Agreed - whatever the expected arrangement in the trade might be, the
cylinder clearly belongs to you, and he needs your permission to take
it away. He would probably softsoap you about helpfully removing the
rubbish, and some customers might be happy to foresake their seventeen
quid to avoid a trip to the scrapyard, but he must give you the option!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David J wrote:
I had a 26 gallon hot water copper cylinder replaced recently by a
local plumber. While here was at it I also got him to replace the CH
pump and realign the adjacent pipework. I supplied both the pump and
the tank after asking him for his advice during his 'estimate' visit.

All in all a satisfactory job was done apart from a minor niggle - he
helped himself to my old tank, which I had not realised until after he
was paid and gone. As it happens I had already been quoted £17 for it
at a local scrapyard - provided that I removed the foam insulation
first.

So what is the expected arrangement 'in the trade' for copper scrap?
Should the plumber assume that it is all his, and not discuss it with
the customer before making off with it?

DJ

I don't know about the others responding to this but I would expect any
trades person to remove rubbish (including any old items that they have
removed) when they have finished the job unless specifically requested.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David J wrote:
So what is the expected arrangement 'in the trade' for copper scrap?
Should the plumber assume that it is all his, and not discuss it with
the customer before making off with it?

I'd say if he tidied up fully afterwards he's in the right. If not it's
theft.

--
*When blondes have more fun, do they know it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew May" wrote in message
David J wrote:
[...]

Perhaps he should have asked - but I've tried removing the foam from those
tanks and £17 is nowhere near enough return on my time!

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"David J" wrote in message
I had a 26 gallon hot water copper cylinder replaced recently by a
local plumber. While here was at it I also got him to replace the CH
pump and realign the adjacent pipework. I supplied both the pump and
the tank after asking him for his advice during his 'estimate' visit.

All in all a satisfactory job was done apart from a minor niggle - he
helped himself to my old tank, which I had not realised until after he
was paid and gone. As it happens I had already been quoted £17 for it
at a local scrapyard - provided that I removed the foam insulation
first.

So what is the expected arrangement 'in the trade' for copper scrap?
Should the plumber assume that it is all his, and not discuss it with
the customer before making off with it?

DJ

Well done the Plummer for clearing up.
I would think the majority of people getting a Plummer in WOULD want it
taken away.
All that mess and time cleaning it and taking it to the scrapyard, is that
worth 17 quid?
You should have said.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David J wrote:
I had a 26 gallon hot water copper cylinder replaced recently by a
local plumber. While here was at it I also got him to replace the CH
pump and realign the adjacent pipework. I supplied both the pump and
the tank after asking him for his advice during his 'estimate' visit.

All in all a satisfactory job was done apart from a minor niggle - he
helped himself to my old tank, which I had not realised until after he
was paid and gone. As it happens I had already been quoted £17 for it
at a local scrapyard - provided that I removed the foam insulation
first.

So what is the expected arrangement 'in the trade' for copper scrap?
Should the plumber assume that it is all his, and not discuss it with
the customer before making off with it?

DJ

Unless you stipulated that you wanted it, it's his, along with all the other
rubbish he produced that day.
You could attempt to get it back, but they have a stock answer of 'it was
budgeted for in the quote', IE; it was part of the price of the job, so if
you want it back, you owe him about seventeen quid.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 19:12:22 GMT, "Phil L"
wrote:

David J wrote:
[...]

You will not owe him anything if the foam is still on ;-)

Mike P
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 2:52*pm, David J wrote:
I had a 26 gallon hot water copper cylinder replaced recently by a
local plumber. *While here was at it I also got him to replace the CH
pump and realign the adjacent pipework. *I supplied both the pump and
the tank after asking him for his advice during his 'estimate' visit.

All in all a satisfactory job was done apart from a minor niggle - he
helped himself to my old tank, which I had not realised until after he
was paid and gone. *As it happens I had already been quoted £17 for it
at a local scrapyard - provided that I removed the foam insulation
first.

So what is the expected arrangement 'in the trade' for copper scrap?
Should the plumber assume that it is all his, and not discuss it with
the customer before making off with it?

DJ

I'd expect you could get more than that for it selling it privately,
with the foam on.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

"NT" wrote in message
On Jun 22, 2:52 pm, David J wrote:
[...]

Im a plumber and always take the cylinder and all the rubbish on completion
and have never had a problem. Anyone want to buy one I have 4 in the shed
right now ;-)

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David J wrote:
I had a 26 gallon hot water copper cylinder replaced recently by a
local plumber. While here was at it I also got him to replace the CH
pump and realign the adjacent pipework. I supplied both the pump and
the tank after asking him for his advice during his 'estimate' visit.

All in all a satisfactory job was done apart from a minor niggle - he
helped himself to my old tank, which I had not realised until after he
was paid and gone. As it happens I had already been quoted £17 for it
at a local scrapyard - provided that I removed the foam insulation
first.

So what is the expected arrangement 'in the trade' for copper scrap?
Should the plumber assume that it is all his, and not discuss it with
the customer before making off with it?

I expect that legally the tank is yours, however the majority of
customers would expect the plumber to clear up afterwards and take any
rubbish away - including the tank. The plumber probably factors the scap
value into the price of the job to an extent anyway.

It does not seem worth getting worked up about. I am sure had you have
asked to keep the old cylinder, he would have left it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
I expect that legally the tank is yours, however the majority of
customers would expect the plumber to clear up afterwards and take any
rubbish away - including the tank. The plumber probably factors the scap
value into the price of the job to an extent anyway.

It does not seem worth getting worked up about. I am sure had you have
asked to keep the old cylinder, he would have left it.

Some 40 years ago my brother bought this lovely old fisherman's cottage in
Portlethen - a few miles south of Aberdeen. The hot water system consisted
of a back boiler behind an open coal fire - and and uninsulated copper
cylinder. Both thick copper. He had central heating put in and both were
removed. And taken away. But not any of the other rubbish. He wasn't so
much worried about the scrap value - but his new wife had wanted to make a
planter out of the old cylinder.

--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 19:12:22 GMT, Phil L wrote:

Unless you stipulated that you wanted it, it's his, along with all the
other rubbish he produced that day.

Technically the waste is the householders but most will want the
waste taking away. I wonder if the plumber has a Waste Transport
Licence and permit to use a trade waste site somewhere? And will
offer the householder the relevant certification of disposal?

Oh, there is goes just behind that cloud. Listen you can still hear
it, oinkflapoinkflap...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 19:12:22 GMT, Phil L wrote:

Unless you stipulated that you wanted it, it's his, along with all
the other rubbish he produced that day.

Technically the waste is the householders but most will want the
waste taking away. I wonder if the plumber has a Waste Transport
Licence

Not required as I understand the legislation. If, however, he asked another
to remove it, then that organisation has to be registered as either a waste
broker or commercial transporter of waste.

and permit to use a trade waste site somewhere? And will
offer the householder the relevant certification of disposal?

As above.

Oh, there is goes just behind that cloud. Listen you can still hear
it, oinkflapoinkflap...

Is its tail that pink? May be it was just the sunset this evening as looked
up to the sky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 14:52:09 +0100, David J wrote:

I had a 26 gallon hot water copper cylinder replaced recently by a
local plumber. While here was at it I also got him to replace the CH
pump and realign the adjacent pipework. I supplied both the pump and
the tank after asking him for his advice during his 'estimate' visit.

All in all a satisfactory job was done apart from a minor niggle - he
helped himself to my old tank, which I had not realised until after he
was paid and gone. As it happens I had already been quoted £17 for it
at a local scrapyard - provided that I removed the foam insulation
first.

What agreement did you reach with him about either keeping or taking away
the cylinder? If you specifically asked him to leave the cylinder and he
didn't then he's well out of order.

What about the pump and other rubbish: did he take that away too? If he
took the cylinder and left other stuff that was a bit cheeky.

If he took *all* the waste from the job and you hadn't asked him not to
then your only real complaint is that he didn't read your mind. Some
tradespeople do take their waste away, some don't. I do, because I think
that's what my customers expect, but despite the advice on one of the
gov't websites to the contrary it seems I may need to buy a waste transfer
licence at something like £150 for 3 years to do so legally. Take that, and
the time taken to transport bulky items like hot water cylinders to the
scrap merchants, away from what I get for scrap metal and I'm *far* better
off plumbing than collecting and selling scrap.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Bad artists borrow
Great artists steal
Igor Stravinsky
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 00:40:38 +0100, Clot wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Technically the waste is the householders but most will want the
waste taking away. I wonder if the plumber has a Waste Transport
Licence

Not required as I understand the legislation. If, however, he asked another
to remove it, then that organisation has to be registered as either a waste
broker or commercial transporter of waste.

That's what I thought too, until yesterday when I had my inspection from
NAPIT. The inspector seemed to think otherwise. Not that it was his area
of expertise, but makes me want to check.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

The clairvoyants' meeting has been cancelled due to unforseen circumstances.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 22, 2:52*pm, David J wrote:
I had a 26 gallon hot water copper cylinder replaced recently by a
local plumber. *

They key word here is "replaced". I think it's implied that he
should supply and fit a new one and remove the old one.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Jun 2009 07:44:31 GMT, YAPH wrote:

Technically the waste is the householders but most will want the
waste taking away. I wonder if the plumber has a Waste Transport
Licence

Not required as I understand the legislation. If, however, he

asked
another to remove it, then that organisation has to be registered

as
either a waste broker or commercial transporter of waste.

Ah but the "waste" is the householders property and responsibilty,
the fact they have employed someone who has generated said waste is
not relevant. Then you add into the mix that the trades person has
generated waste in the pursuance of trade, ergo "trade waste".So they
then need a Waste Transfer Licence to take it away and dispose of at
a registered trade waste site and, in theory, should get documentary
evidence to that effect.

That's what I thought too, until yesterday when I had my inspection from
NAPIT. The inspector seemed to think otherwise. Not that it was his area
of expertise, but makes me want to check.

I'm not expert either but that is my understanding, if you transport
"waste" in the course of your "work" you need a Waste Transport
Licence.

If you come across a dyed in the wool council jobsworth that will
apply to the wrapper your sandwich was in that you had whilst
"working" and left in your car to put in the domestic waste when you
got home. You are liable for not haveing the Waste Transfer Licence
and not disposing of the "trade waste" at a proper facilty.

By all means look at the legislation but beware this is simplified
legislation from a few years back so uses the inverse definition of
the word "simplified".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Jun 2009 07:42:24 GMT, YAPH wrote:

[...]

Further clarification....

We made no prior agreement about the scrap, but he asked what I had
paid for the new cylinder, pump, immersion heater and Fernox that I
supplied.

I was in the house during the 2 half days he was on the job, giving a
hand and providing tea, so there was plenty of opportunity for him to
discus the disposals. I even carried the new cylinder upstairs for
him when he was ready for it. As the old one was a bit weighty with
limescale he took it down and put it in the garage on day 1.

After he left on day 2, I noted that the cylinder and all the copper
pipe off-cuts were gone. The old immersion was in my rubbish bin, and
the old pump was left in the garage. So he was quite selective with
his 'tidying up'.

Regarding the chore of removing the cylinder insulation - I'm retired,
so time is not the issue. However £17 is a few beers to me.

I'll know better in future! The only reason that I didn't know the
drill was that in the past I would have done this simple job myself.

My take on this is that he probably waits until he has half a dozen
tanks, and then makes a trip to the scrapyard for £100.

DJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David J wrote:
After he left on day 2, I noted that the cylinder and all the copper
pipe off-cuts were gone. The old immersion was in my rubbish bin, and
the old pump was left in the garage. So he was quite selective with
his 'tidying up'.

Right - you've got him there. Demand he comes back to remove the old pump.
Or pays you the value of the tank and other scrap.

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:
On Jun 22, 2:52 pm, David J wrote:
I had a 26 gallon hot water copper cylinder replaced recently by a
local plumber.

They key word here is "replaced". I think it's implied that he
should supply and fit a new one and remove the old one.

Robert

The OP supplied the cylinder and pump, as it says in the rest of the
paragraph you snipped!

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David J" wrote in message
I had a 26 gallon hot water copper cylinder replaced recently by a
local plumber. While here was at it I also got him to replace the CH
pump and realign the adjacent pipework. I supplied both the pump and
the tank after asking him for his advice during his 'estimate' visit.

All in all a satisfactory job was done apart from a minor niggle - he
helped himself to my old tank, which I had not realised until after he
was paid and gone. As it happens I had already been quoted £17 for it
at a local scrapyard - provided that I removed the foam insulation
first.

So what is the expected arrangement 'in the trade' for copper scrap?
Should the plumber assume that it is all his, and not discuss it with
the customer before making off with it?

So lets get this right,
You conned him into doing additional work within the price for the original
job and *then* want to whine about the alleged £17 you have lost out on.
Personally if I were the plumber I'd have charged you a damn sight more than
that to do the extra work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:
"David J" wrote in message
I had a 26 gallon hot water copper cylinder replaced recently by a
local plumber. While here was at it I also got him to replace the CH
pump and realign the adjacent pipework. I supplied both the pump and
the tank after asking him for his advice during his 'estimate' visit.

All in all a satisfactory job was done apart from a minor niggle - he
helped himself to my old tank, which I had not realised until after he
was paid and gone. As it happens I had already been quoted £17 for it
at a local scrapyard - provided that I removed the foam insulation
first.

So what is the expected arrangement 'in the trade' for copper scrap?
Should the plumber assume that it is all his, and not discuss it with
the customer before making off with it?

So lets get this right,

lets....

You conned him into doing additional work within the price for the original
job and *then* want to whine about the alleged £17 you have lost out on.
Personally if I were the plumber I'd have charged you a damn sight more than
that to do the extra work.

I fail to see where the OP says he "conned" the plumber into doing this
for free!?!!

I took it as he got the plumber in as there were a number to jobs to do,
so that made it worthwhile for his visit!

Toby..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember David J
saying something like:

So what is the expected arrangement 'in the trade' for copper scrap?
Should the plumber assume that it is all his, and not discuss it with
the customer before making off with it?

One should always ask when it comes to the large items. Many times I've
been offered suchlike. Small bits of pipe and old fittings, the
householder is only too glad to see the back of.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toby" wrote in message
R wrote:
"David J" wrote in message
[...]

So you missed the "While here was at it I also got him to replace the CH
pump and realign the adjacent pipework. "

The plumber quoted for a job. Extra work not associated with that job was
requested. In this case out of "Goodwill" the work was performed for
nothing, something the OP missed when whining about losing a potential £17.

If on an hourly rate the plumber would have earned more and charged more.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 06:30:21 +0100, "R" wrote:

"Toby" wrote in message
R wrote:
"David J" wrote in message
[...]

Please learn to read properly, and not to jump to stupid conclusions.

The plumber was told that I wanted a leaking cylinder replaced plus
other associated work. While he was here I also took the opportunity
to have the 10 y/o pump changed and Fernox added to the water. He
quoted for the complete job, which was all labour as I provided the
materials, including most fittings.

There was no extra work, as you have impuned.

If you want to discuss hourly rates, he charged me £200 for about 8
hrs work. which is £25/hr. That's 30% above the going rate in this
area, so he wasn't being exploited by me!

DJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David J wrote:
SNIP

There was no extra work, as you have impuned.

If you want to discuss hourly rates, he charged me £200 for about 8
hrs work. which is £25/hr. That's 30% above the going rate in this
area, so he wasn't being exploited by me!

Its about 30% less than the going rate in this area...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David J wrote:
If you want to discuss hourly rates, he charged me £200 for about 8
hrs work. which is £25/hr. That's 30% above the going rate in this
area, so he wasn't being exploited by me!

Good greif. By the time you add in travelling time, van and tools etc,
you've got a bargain - especially since you supplied the materials so no
mark up there.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 07:14:39 +0100, David J wrote:

If you want to discuss hourly rates, he charged me £200 for about 8
hrs work. which is £25/hr. That's 30% above the going rate in this
area, so he wasn't being exploited by me!

Blimey! What part of the Indian sub-continent do you live in?

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

There's nowt as queer as folk.
Especially other folk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 07:34:00 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

David J wrote:
SNIP

There was no extra work, as you have impuned.

If you want to discuss hourly rates, he charged me £200 for about 8
hrs work. which is £25/hr. That's 30% above the going rate in this
area, so he wasn't being exploited by me!

Its about 30% less than the going rate in this area...

Aah, ... I'm talking about rural Norfolk - not the affluent (soon to
be impoverished) Home Counties!

By the way, the plumber said that if he could get enough work like
mine on domestics at £200/day, he would give up his current main job
on new builds....

DJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:27:31 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
David J wrote:
If you want to discuss hourly rates, he charged me £200 for about 8
hrs work. which is £25/hr. That's 30% above the going rate in this
area, so he wasn't being exploited by me!

Good greif. By the time you add in travelling time, van and tools etc,
you've got a bargain - especially since you supplied the materials so no
mark up there.

Van & tools, OK. But no travelling time, as he lives a few hundred
yards way from me.

Regarding his time, he agreed to a 8 am start, but showed up at
midday. I thought he might work on into the evening to get the job
finished but at 4.30 pm he said he had a 'hair appointment' and
vanished!

He returned the following morning and 'finished off' the job by 12.00.
I spent the afternoon rebalancing the radiators as some were now cold.

He was paid in readies, and gave no VAT receipt. However, his plumbing
work was spot on.

DJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David J wrote:

He was paid in readies, and gave no VAT receipt. However, his plumbing
work was spot on.

So all in all you got a decent job at a fair price it seems. In the
circumstances is it really worth worrying about the scrap values of a
cylinder?

As to VAT receipts, he would only need issue one if VAT registered.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:56:12 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

David J wrote:

He was paid in readies, and gave no VAT receipt. However, his plumbing
work was spot on.

So all in all you got a decent job at a fair price it seems. In the
circumstances is it really worth worrying about the scrap values of a
cylinder?

As to VAT receipts, he would only need issue one if VAT registered.

''

John - if I had been truly 'worried' about the £17, I would have
pursued the matter with this local plumber directly at the time. My
post was merely to establish what is the normal procedure these days.

In the situation of a complete central heating system piping
changeout, the value of scrap copper pipe & fittings could be over
£100.

Following this thread, I would now establish before the start of any
similar job who the scrap belongs to. And also check if the plumber
has any outstanding hair appointments...

DJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David J wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jun 2009 07:34:00 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

David J wrote:
SNIP

There was no extra work, as you have impuned.

If you want to discuss hourly rates, he charged me £200 for about 8
hrs work. which is £25/hr. That's 30% above the going rate in this
area, so he wasn't being exploited by me!

Its about 30% less than the going rate in this area...

Aah, ... I'm talking about rural Norfolk - not the affluent (soon to
be impoverished) Home Counties!

Why are we soon to be impoverished? We is part of the Thames Gateway
regeneration project innit.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

O/T: Perks of Reaching 50 and Beyond Lew Hodgett[_4_] Woodworking 12 November 2nd 09 03:51 PM
One for the plumbers John UK diy 12 October 22nd 08 09:20 AM
B*****y plumbers The Medway Handyman UK diy 65 September 27th 07 07:53 AM
OT Humour: Perks of being over 50 jo4hn Woodworking 21 January 11th 06 04:23 AM
One for the plumbers? Harry Bloomfield UK diy 14 February 20th 05 08:30 PM