Andrew J Instone-Cowie

Default Glass cutters?

Went out to buy a glass cutter today - cmae back without one! Tried
all the usual sheds, but no-one seems to sell'em anymore. Anyone any
ideas where I might get one? Nothing fancy, just an old-fashioned
glass cutter :-(

TIA
Andrew

--
===================================
Address in news headers is not read

BigWallop

"Andrew J Instone-Cowie" wrote in message
Went out to buy a glass cutter today - cmae back without one! Tried
all the usual sheds, but no-one seems to sell'em anymore. Anyone any
ideas where I might get one? Nothing fancy, just an old-fashioned
glass cutter :-(

TIA
Andrew

Like these ones ?

http://tinyurl.com/rf2u

if that link doesn't work, then: (watch out for line wrap)

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...87 4&id=10706

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop

"Andrew J Instone-Cowie" wrote in message
Went out to buy a glass cutter today - cmae back without one! Tried
all the usual sheds, but no-one seems to sell'em anymore. Anyone any
ideas where I might get one? Nothing fancy, just an old-fashioned
glass cutter :-(

TIA
Andrew

Or even this one:

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/isho...hopscr460.html

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop

"Andrew J Instone-Cowie" wrote in message
Went out to buy a glass cutter today - cmae back without one! Tried
all the usual sheds, but no-one seems to sell'em anymore. Anyone any
ideas where I might get one? Nothing fancy, just an old-fashioned
glass cutter :-(

TIA
Andrew

Or these ones:

http://www.btinternet.com/~amazingproducts/page5.html

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop

"Andrew J Instone-Cowie" wrote in message
Went out to buy a glass cutter today - cmae back without one! Tried
all the usual sheds, but no-one seems to sell'em anymore. Anyone any
ideas where I might get one? Nothing fancy, just an old-fashioned
glass cutter :-(

TIA
Andrew

Or these type with the diamond tip:

http://www.dcdevs.co.uk/acatalog/cat...Cutter_16.html

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Alan J. Wylie

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:54:20 +0100, Andrew J Instone-Cowie said:

Went out to buy a glass cutter today - cmae back without one! Tried
all the usual sheds, but no-one seems to sell'em anymore. Anyone any
ideas where I might get one? Nothing fancy, just an old-fashioned
glass cutter :-(

Bought one myself today. Walked down the road to the village hardware
shop. They had a choice of two models - standard, and deluxe - the
only visible difference being a hardwood handle on the deluxe
model. Also bought some graphite powder for lubricating locks.

Now I just have to learn how to use it - I only hope that the comments
I've found when googling that "old" glass won't cut are incorrect.

--
Alan J. Wylie http://www.glaramara.freeserve.co.uk/
"Perfection [in design] is achieved not when there is nothing left to add,
BigWallop

k...

said:

Went out to buy a glass cutter today - cmae back without one! Tried
all the usual sheds, but no-one seems to sell'em anymore. Anyone any
ideas where I might get one? Nothing fancy, just an old-fashioned
glass cutter :-(

Bought one myself today. Walked down the road to the village hardware
shop. They had a choice of two models - standard, and deluxe - the
only visible difference being a hardwood handle on the deluxe
model. Also bought some graphite powder for lubricating locks.

Now I just have to learn how to use it - I only hope that the comments
I've found when googling that "old" glass won't cut are incorrect.

Alan J. Wylie

It's best to score old glass two or three times to let it snap properly. If
you look along the glass from different angles, you should see ripples
through parts of the glass. This is a clear indicator of it being on or pre
war times (WW2) glass, which is slightly more difficult to cut because it is
more brittle than the newer stuff. It had something to do with the
annealing processes.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:15:50 +0100, Alan J. Wylie wrote:

Now I just have to learn how to use it - I only hope that the
comments I've found when googling that "old" glass won't cut are
incorrect.

I've plenty of old glass that might get used for a cold frame at some
point. Not looking forward to cutting it because of the rumours of
problems with old glass.

I believe these stem from micro scratches on the surface that deflect
the crack propagation as you stress the scrore line from the cutter.
So with that in mind be brave and don't dilly dally with the cutter, a
good firm, single stroke across the glass and dip/keep the cutter in
light oil (parafin or similar) just before you use it. Well it's a
good theory...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Andrew J Instone-Cowie

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:10:48 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

"Andrew J Instone-Cowie" wrote in message
.. .
Went out to buy a glass cutter today - cmae back without one! Tried
all the usual sheds, but no-one seems to sell'em anymore. Anyone any
ideas where I might get one? Nothing fancy, just an old-fashioned
glass cutter :-(

TIA
Andrew

Or even this one:

http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/isho...hopscr460.html

That's the kind of thing - although I had more in mind a source I
could stroll into tomorrow than an online supplier ;-) I'll order a
couple from them and see what happens...

Thanks!
Andrew

--
Address in news headers is not read
Reply to andrewATdatagramDOTcoDOTuk

Changing Glass on a ParkRay SteveW UK diy 1 August 26th 03 02:23 PM
Glass and Wood suppliers Doki UK diy 12 August 4th 03 02:05 PM
Using glass blocks? StealthUK UK diy 2 July 13th 03 11:53 PM