Dave Liquorice

Default Glass cutters?

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:15:50 +0100, Alan J. Wylie wrote:

Now I just have to learn how to use it - I only hope that the
comments I've found when googling that "old" glass won't cut are
incorrect.

I've plenty of old glass that might get used for a cold frame at some
point. Not looking forward to cutting it because of the rumours of
problems with old glass.

I believe these stem from micro scratches on the surface that deflect
the crack propagation as you stress the scrore line from the cutter.
So with that in mind be brave and don't dilly dally with the cutter, a
good firm, single stroke across the glass and dip/keep the cutter in
light oil (parafin or similar) just before you use it. Well it's a
good theory...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail