Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Regs for a power socket in a bath/shower room

Hi everyone,

I know I'm the first to direct people to the regs but I'm having trouble
finding the information I need in them and I know that many here know
everything there is to know about electrical installs.

I have a large "bathroom" except that it has no bath only a fully enclosed
shower, a bidet, a toilet and a sink. These are arranged along two sides of
the room and I am building a cupboard in the opposite corner on which I
would like to mount a power socket and a thermostat for the heating.
Primarily the power socket is intended to be used for a hairdryer, hair
clippers and a vacuum cleaner.

I need to know what's permissible, what's safe and what's sensible (of
course they *may* overlap!) but a can't find much in the regs which makes
sense.
From one reading it would appear that power sockets are not allowed at all -
no matter what size the room - which would be a bit non-sensical. But in
other places the regs talk of shortening the power cords on appliances
likely to be plugged into a socket in such cases so that they cannot reach
the sink/bath - like that's going to happen!
Anyway I recall hairdressers all have sockets mounted right next to the
sinks so they must be allowed in some cases as businesses such as these tend
to have the regs imposed quite strictly.

In my case the power socket would be about 1.2m from the sink, on the
opposite wall and about 1.7m from the glass door of the shower enclosure,
also on the opposite wall, and much further still from the bidet and toilet.

Thoughts anyone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Calvin Sambrook" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I know I'm the first to direct people to the regs but I'm having trouble
finding the information I need in them and I know that many here know
everything there is to know about electrical installs.

I have a large "bathroom" except that it has no bath only a fully enclosed
shower, a bidet, a toilet and a sink. These are arranged along two sides
of the room and I am building a cupboard in the opposite corner on which I
would like to mount a power socket and a thermostat for the heating.
Primarily the power socket is intended to be used for a hairdryer, hair
clippers and a vacuum cleaner.

I need to know what's permissible, what's safe and what's sensible (of
course they *may* overlap!) but a can't find much in the regs which makes
sense.
From one reading it would appear that power sockets are not allowed at
all - no matter what size the room - which would be a bit non-sensical.
But in other places the regs talk of shortening the power cords on
appliances likely to be plugged into a socket in such cases so that they
cannot reach the sink/bath - like that's going to happen!
Anyway I recall hairdressers all have sockets mounted right next to the
sinks so they must be allowed in some cases as businesses such as these
tend to have the regs imposed quite strictly.

In my case the power socket would be about 1.2m from the sink, on the
opposite wall and about 1.7m from the glass door of the shower enclosure,
also on the opposite wall, and much further still from the bidet and
toilet.

Thoughts anyone?

It would be interesting to know what you are reading. It is pretty clear in
the regs and the OSG. For starters, all circuits in the bath/shower room
must be protected by 30mA rcd (701.411.3.3) and socket outlets are not
allowed within 3m of zone 1 (701.512.3) - the edge of the bath or shower
basin. So by the sound of it your bathroom is too small.

A room with sinks (hairdressers) does not fall within the same rules as a
room with a bath or shower (section 701)

Thermostat for the heating is ok if you mount it outside the zones (I am
assuming it is mains voltage)

Regards
Bruce

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 19:59:50 +0100, BruceB wrote:

"Calvin Sambrook" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I know I'm the first to direct people to the regs but I'm having trouble
finding the information I need in them and I know that many here know
everything there is to know about electrical installs.

I have a large "bathroom" except that it has no bath only a fully enclosed
shower, a bidet, a toilet and a sink. These are arranged along two sides
of the room and I am building a cupboard in the opposite corner on which I
would like to mount a power socket and a thermostat for the heating.
Primarily the power socket is intended to be used for a hairdryer, hair
clippers and a vacuum cleaner.

I need to know what's permissible, what's safe and what's sensible (of
course they *may* overlap!) but a can't find much in the regs which makes
sense.
From one reading it would appear that power sockets are not allowed at
[...]

For my thermostats (we have a timer/stat and motorised valve for every
room), I've used interposing relays and powered them from a 12V ac safety
transformer - this also means that I have been able to put most of the
stats next to door frames and run alarm type cable to them, without having
to worry about physical damage and resultant safety issues (three kids 5
and under!)

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 19:35:27 +0100 someone who may be "Calvin
Sambrook" wrote this:-

I have a large "bathroom" except that it has no bath only a fully enclosed
shower, a bidet, a toilet and a sink.

A room which contains a bath or shower (or both) is a bathroom for
these purposes.

From one reading it would appear that power sockets are not allowed at all -
no matter what size the room

I'll second what has already been said, what are you reading?

There may be some confusion because until recently only extra low
voltage sockets were allowed in rooms containing baths or showers
[1]. However, now low voltage sockets [2] are allowed too, subject
to the regulations which have already been mentioned.

[1] a low voltage socket which was permitted, then and now, is a
socket fitted with an isolating transformer intended for feeding
electric razors and toothbrushes.

[2] for the avoidance of doubt, a 230V socket is a low voltage
socket.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BruceB coughed up some electrons that declared:

[...]

From one reading it would appear that power sockets are not allowed at
[...]

Agree - 3m is the rule and applies to en-suites in bedrooms with a shower or
bath too, as well as all the RCD stuff.

Unless the OP wants to work to the german regs which I believe allow a
shucko in the bathroom, under some random and probably very specific
conditions...

Anyway - the thermostat. One solution here would be to put it in Zone 2 in a
little enclosure that needs a tool to open) obviously with a few small vent
holes - this is the stock solution for boilers in bathrooms AFAIK.

My last flat had a preset thermostat near the bath over the door (need to
take the cover off to adjust). The other solution is as Steve said is to
use SELV extra low voltage - or some of the Heatmiser products have remove
sensors so the controller remains outside teh bathroom and the sensor is in
a little box.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
SNIP

Agree - 3m is the rule and applies to en-suites in bedrooms with a
shower or bath too, as well as all the RCD stuff.

AAMOI does that mean that any socket in the room having the en suite must ne
3m away from the bath/shower?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Tim S wrote:
SNIP

Agree - 3m is the rule and applies to en-suites in bedrooms with a
shower or bath too, as well as all the RCD stuff.

AAMOI does that mean that any socket in the room having the en suite must
ne 3m away from the bath/shower?

Runs off to double check...

Yes that is correct in the 17th. Not allowed withing 3m or the edge of Zone
1, reg 701.512.3 according to the OnSite Guide.

This applies to any room containign a bath or shower. If you have a shower
in your drawing room, then no sockets near it

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...

AAMOI does that mean that any socket in the room having the en suite must
ne 3m away from the bath/shower?

Yes, with the exception of, for example, a shaver socket with isolating
transformer.
Regards
Bruce

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

Crappy typos fixed:

Yes, that is correct in the 17th. Not allowed within 3m of the edge of
Zone 1, reg 701.512.3 according to the OnSite Guide.

This applies to any room containing a bath or shower. If you have a shower
in your drawing room, then no sockets near it

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
[...]

From one reading it would appear that power sockets are not allowed at
[...]

OP here. Thanks for your help everyone. Just one small point, I assume a
wall and/or a door negate the 3m limit, that is to say I can put a socket in
the adjacent room right next to the door between the two rooms. That would
put it about 30cm away from the shower but not in the bathroom so my
understanding is that is OK?

All that means of course is that we'll end up with flexes trailed through
the doorway in order to use the hairdryer/vacuum/clippers and they'll be
even closer to the shower than they would otherwise have been.
Arrggghhhh......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Calvin Sambrook coughed up some electrons that declared:

OP here. Thanks for your help everyone. Just one small point, I assume a
wall and/or a door negate the 3m limit,

It is my belief that a wall with a door forms a seperate "location" thus
resets all the rules to default.

I'm about to mount a socket within 2m of a shower, which is one door away,
and a socket within 1 foot of the bath, the other side of the wall,
although there is an access hatch under the bath and next to the socket
(door for gnomes), that would need a tool to open anyway. And it's under
the bath, not in it...

A wall however, without a door and not fully closed off may be a "partition"
in which case that does not negate the 3m rule but does alter it.

Can you draw an ASCII pic?

that is to say I can put a socket
in
the adjacent room right next to the door between the two rooms. That
would put it about 30cm away from the shower but not in the bathroom so my
understanding is that is OK?

Yes

All that means of course is that we'll end up with flexes trailed through
the doorway in order to use the hairdryer/vacuum/clippers and they'll be
even closer to the shower than they would otherwise have been.
Arrggghhhh......

You can take an extension lead and sit in your swimming pool with a
hairdryer. Doesn't make it a good idea though.

My hoover has a long enough lead to do the bathroom.

Can you not dry your hair in the bedroom opposite another mirror? Ditto
clippers?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thought this would be a good time to share the pic I took of a an electric shower installation I saw
in Rio recently :

http://electricstuff.co.uk/temp/rioshower.jpg

well at least it's only 120 volts...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Harrison coughed up some electrons that declared:

Thought this would be a good time to share the pic I took of a an electric
shower installation I saw in Rio recently :

http://electricstuff.co.uk/temp/rioshower.jpg

well at least it's only 120 volts...

That would tickle your testicles...

What is it - and integral heater in the head?
Wires look too weedy, especially at 120V.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Calvin Sambrook coughed up some electrons that declared:

OP here. Thanks for your help everyone. Just one small point, I
assume a wall and/or a door negate the 3m limit,

It is my belief that a wall with a door forms a seperate "location"
thus resets all the rules to default.

Now I'm confused Tim. In an earlier post you said the 3m rule applied to
the romm having the ensuite.

So, just to be clear. If you have a bedroom with an en suite bathroom (with
door) & the bath is 1m away from said door - can the bedroom have a socket
within 2 metres of the en suite door?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Calvin Sambrook coughed up some electrons that declared:

OP here. Thanks for your help everyone. Just one small point, I
assume a wall and/or a door negate the 3m limit,

It is my belief that a wall with a door forms a seperate "location"
thus resets all the rules to default.

Now I'm confused Tim. In an earlier post you said the 3m rule applied to
the romm having the ensuite.

So, just to be clear. If you have a bedroom with an en suite bathroom
(with door) & the bath is 1m away from said door - can the bedroom have a
socket within 2 metres of the en suite door?

Ok - my bad. I should have said ensuite with no door - but perhaps a
partition wall.

Having an ensuite with a door just makes it a bathroom (location) off a
bedroom (another location).

HTH

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Calvin Sambrook coughed up some electrons that declared:

OP here. Thanks for your help everyone. Just one small point, I
assume a wall and/or a door negate the 3m limit,

It is my belief that a wall with a door forms a seperate "location"
thus resets all the rules to default.

Now I'm confused Tim. In an earlier post you said the 3m rule
applied to the romm having the ensuite.

So, just to be clear. If you have a bedroom with an en suite
bathroom (with door) & the bath is 1m away from said door - can the
bedroom have a socket within 2 metres of the en suite door?

Ok - my bad. I should have said ensuite with no door - but perhaps a
partition wall.

Having an ensuite with a door just makes it a bathroom (location) off
a bedroom (another location).

HTH

All clear now matey - cheers.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Calvin Sambrook
writes

Thoughts anyone?

I'm in the throes of having my bathroom done. The contractor looked at
me askance when I told him I wanted the washing machine in there. We
argued the toss for a bit (him quoting the regs, me saying it's my
bloody house and there's no room for it in the kitchen so it's going in
there whether he likes it or not, and it's been in there for two years
running off an extension cable anyway)

It will go next to a walk-in shower with glass sides.

He wasn't happy about it, but we settled on a RCD protected IP66 socket
fed by SWA under the floor.

Probably not regs-compliant, but they don't seem to have a problem with
it on the continent, do they?

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson coughed up some electrons that declared:

In article , Calvin Sambrook
writes

Thoughts anyone?

I'm in the throes of having my bathroom done. The contractor looked at
me askance when I told him I wanted the washing machine in there. We
argued the toss for a bit (him quoting the regs, me saying it's my
bloody house and there's no room for it in the kitchen so it's going in
there whether he likes it or not, and it's been in there for two years
running off an extension cable anyway)

It will go next to a walk-in shower with glass sides.

He wasn't happy about it, but we settled on a RCD protected IP66 socket
fed by SWA under the floor.

Probably not regs-compliant, but they don't seem to have a problem with
it on the continent, do they?

The other thing that can be done is to take the washing machine off an FCU
flex outlet, removing the socket. You've dropped the regs onus from socket
to "accessory" which is easier to satisfy. Well placed enclosures or
cupboards can usually sort most things out.

But, as you've done it, I could think of worse ways than yours. No-one's
likely to come a cropper by accident with an IP66 socket, inconveniently
(from a hairdryer POV) sited under the floor, and RCD protection
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 23:24:15 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Mike Harrison coughed up some electrons that declared:

Thought this would be a good time to share the pic I took of a an electric
shower installation I saw in Rio recently :

http://electricstuff.co.uk/temp/rioshower.jpg

well at least it's only 120 volts...

That would tickle your testicles...

What is it - and integral heater in the head?
Wires look too weedy, especially at 120V.

Yep - these were very common in all the DIY stores - supplied with surprisingly short ( but fairly
chunky) cables - typical rating was 3KW.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 June, 00:08, Tim S wrote:
Ok - my bad. I should have said ensuite with no door - but perhaps a
partition wall.

One more reason (of many) why an ensuite with no door is a very bad
idea....

Why do so many 'Grand Designs' have this arrangement?

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:
[1] a low voltage socket which was permitted, then and now, is a
socket fitted with an isolating transformer intended for feeding
electric razors and toothbrushes.

Since 230V 1A can kill you quite happily, what's to stop you fitting a
bigger isolating transformer - say 3KVA?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard Russell wrote:
One more reason (of many) why an ensuite with no door is a very bad
idea....

Why do so many 'Grand Designs' have this arrangement?

Do they have a cigarette paper 'door', which accidentally gets thrown away
as soon as Building Control have left the building? I've seen Grand
Designsy books where the bath is in the middle of the bedroom... not sure
those would pass the regs :-)

Don't know the regs I'm afraid, but another approach used in hotels is to
permanently wire the hairdryer to the wall behind a faceplate. In the
hotels' case it's mostly to stop people nicking it, but does it pass the
rules?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Jun 2009 14:28:17 +0100 (BST) someone who may be Theo
Markettos wrote this:-

David Hansen wrote:
[1] a low voltage socket which was permitted, then and now, is a
socket fitted with an isolating transformer intended for feeding
electric razors and toothbrushes.

Since 230V 1A can kill you quite happily, what's to stop you fitting a
bigger isolating transformer - say 3KVA?

There are limits on the power which can be taken out of the socket,
which are enforced by IIRC a bi-metallic strip.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 June, 15:42, David Hansen
wrote:

There are limits on the power which can be taken out of the socket,
which are enforced by IIRC a bi-metallic strip.

The magnetic core of the isolation transformer is deliberately
undersized, such that it saturates and limits the magnetic flux, thus
the electrical current.

The current delivered is still capable of killing you, if you were to
strip the shaver apart and apply each connector to your ears. However
you're no longer at risk of a fault to earth from it. As the current
supply is limited, there's no longer a need to provide a fault path
through earth (which is normally part of how the circuit is
protected), so as to pass a fault current through earth and thus trip
an overcurrent device.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike Harrison
writes

Yep - these were very common in all the DIY stores - supplied with surprisingly
short ( but fairly
chunky) cables - typical rating was 3KW.

I suppose the incoming water is fairly warm anyway so doesn't need to be
heated as much. That picture still scares me though.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.
(")_(") http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.theiet.org/publishing/wir...s.cfm?type=pdf

may help.

The 16th OSG did not allow sockets close to a bathroom door that would allow
hair dryers etc to reach the bath. The statement (not a reg ISTR) was not
well worded but would never stop Darwin Awards such as extension leads into
a bathroom.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:40:46 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

"Tim S" wrote in message
[...]

Electrician at work told us about an elderly couple whose son (after their
money?) had put them a freestanding, single-bar electric fire in the
bathroom. It was an old one with a bare wire element and widely spaced bars
on the guard. They were delighted that it could be adjusted for angle from
the bath!
The son had also put a bit of thick nail in the CU to stop a fuse from
blowing!

--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
[...]

When one hears this kind of story about elderly people it makes one
wonder how they ever managed to live long enough to grow old. If they
don't know themselves that this arrangement is dangerous then they've
lived charmed lives. It's a bit harsh to blame the son (unless he is
really intent upon creating an 'accident') because they presumably brought
him up and passed on their own ignorance of basic safety. Elderly people
do slow down but generally they don't suddenly lose their faculties and
common sense. A case for blaming the parents, I think.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo Markettos wrote:

Do they have a cigarette paper 'door', which accidentally gets thrown away
as soon as Building Control have left the building? I've seen Grand
Designsy books where the bath is in the middle of the bedroom... not sure
those would pass the regs :-)

There was one with the bath *under* the bed - the bed slid back on
runners. Looked rather wonderful, but must have been awful in actual
use. Permanently soggy duvet, I suspect.

Pete