Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plaster undercoat for bathroom tiling?

Ok

It was a *bad* idea to get WIFI here at the bungalow. I can bug you all
sh*tless all the time and do no actual work

Anyway...

Just knocked the skim off the bad walls in the new bathroom.

According to my 6' straightedge, I need to fill in some areas (which are
back to brick between otherwise very sound undercoat) to depths varying
between 1/2" and 1 1/2" (!!) thick (bent wall again).

In a couple of places, there are slight hollows on the undercoat, which
would ne nice to flatten, though tile adhesive could be made to handle
these.

I'm not bothered about skimming as I'll be sticking tiles all over this lot
and less layers the better IMO.

So - what would be the best undercoat plaster to use? I want to slap it on
and rule it off flat, mostly using the existing plaster as a guide (except
for hollows previously mentioned).

Finish is irrellevant as long as tile adhesive sticks to it

I assume with the 1 1/2" deep area, 2 coats would be a better bet?

Is this a time to be using plastering sand (never added that to any plaster
before)?

Thanks in advance as always!

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:19:28 +0100, Tim S wrote:

[...]

'One-coat' plaster is good for this purpose. It's easy to work, has a
good open time and lasts well in the bag for future use. Wickes do a good
one. As you say, you'll need two coats in the deeper hollows despite the
name, to prevent excessive sagging.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim S wrote:
According to my 6' straightedge, I need to fill in some areas (which are
back to brick between otherwise very sound undercoat) to depths varying
between 1/2" and 1 1/2" (!!) thick (bent wall again).

In a couple of places, there are slight hollows on the undercoat, which
would ne nice to flatten, though tile adhesive could be made to handle
these.

I'm not bothered about skimming as I'll be sticking tiles all over this
lot and less layers the better IMO.

So - what would be the best undercoat plaster to use? I want to slap it
on and rule it off flat, mostly using the existing plaster as a guide
(except for hollows previously mentioned).

Finish is irrellevant as long as tile adhesive sticks to it

I assume with the 1 1/2" deep area, 2 coats would be a better bet?

I'd use 'one coat'. Can be used to near any depth - although the thicker
it is the longer it will take to dry. It also keeps quite well after the
bag is opened, unlike other stuff. Also includes instructions for use on
the bag. Wicks stuff seems pretty good price wise.

--
*Middle age is when it takes longer to rest than to get tired.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim S wrote:
[...]

Main thing is that plaster is a lot cheaper than tile adhesive, so it
pays to roughly flatten the wall first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

[...]

Thanks to all; OneCoat it is...

Cheers

Tim