Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wire netting and strimmers, what do others do?

We have lots of rabbit fencing (and lots of rabbits) and I'm forever
trying to come up with a practical way of strimming close up to the
wire netting.

For short sections I have put tanalised timber boards either side of
the fence at ground level and this works well but it's relatively
expensive and not practical for long sections.

Has anyone here come up with a good solution to this problem?

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
We have lots of rabbit fencing (and lots of rabbits) and I'm forever
trying to come up with a practical way of strimming close up to the
wire netting.

For short sections I have put tanalised timber boards either side of
the fence at ground level and this works well but it's relatively
expensive and not practical for long sections.

Has anyone here come up with a good solution to this problem?

--
Chris Green

Any of the Weedol, Roundup, type weed killers - just spray the 6" of
ground at the base of the fences. I now buy it in bulk from the local
agri-chem dealer for just this issue.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
We have lots of rabbit fencing (and lots of rabbits) and I'm forever
trying to come up with a practical way of strimming close up to the
wire netting.

For short sections I have put tanalised timber boards either side of
the fence at ground level and this works well but it's relatively
expensive and not practical for long sections.

Has anyone here come up with a good solution to this problem?

Increase the idle speed of the strimmer (If petrol) and strim as usual on a
fast idle rather than full revs.
Otherwise as someone else says Weedol it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

wrote in message
We have lots of rabbit fencing (and lots of rabbits) and I'm forever
trying to come up with a practical way of strimming close up to the
wire netting.

For short sections I have put tanalised timber boards either side of
the fence at ground level and this works well but it's relatively
expensive and not practical for long sections.

Has anyone here come up with a good solution to this problem?

Any of the Weedol, Roundup, type weed killers - just spray the 6" of
ground at the base of the fences. I now buy it in bulk from the local
agri-chem dealer for just this issue.

Possible in some (many) places but not everywhere due to adjacent
plants that I don't want to die.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 June, 18:18, "R" wrote:
wrote in message

We have lots of rabbit fencing (and lots of rabbits) and I'm forever
trying to come up with a practical way of strimming close up to the
wire netting.

For short sections I have put tanalised timber boards either side of
the fence at ground level and this works well but it's relatively
expensive and not practical for long sections.

Has anyone here come up with a good solution to this problem?

Increase the idle speed of the strimmer (If petrol) and strim as usual on a
fast idle rather than full revs.
Otherwise as someone else says Weedol it

Some of the current strimmers have a wire frame that can be folded
down to limit how close you can get to an object - mainly aimed at
trees and shrubs but would solve this problem too. I'm sure a simple
add-on could be made to any existing strimmer.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
We have lots of rabbit fencing (and lots of rabbits) and I'm forever
trying to come up with a practical way of strimming close up to the
wire netting.

For short sections I have put tanalised timber boards either side of
the fence at ground level and this works well but it's relatively
expensive and not practical for long sections.

Has anyone here come up with a good solution to this problem?

--
Chris Green

I use the missus, she holds a piece of hardboard against the fence and keeps
moving along

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:
wrote in message
We have lots of rabbit fencing (and lots of rabbits) and I'm forever
trying to come up with a practical way of strimming close up to the
wire netting.

For short sections I have put tanalised timber boards either side of
the fence at ground level and this works well but it's relatively
expensive and not practical for long sections.

Has anyone here come up with a good solution to this problem?

--
Chris Green

I use the missus, she holds a piece of hardboard against the fence and keeps
moving along

I do that when next door's fence goes green from lack of sun light. She
goes the other side of the fence and I blast it with the pressure washer.

Never got a direct hit on her yet though :-(

Dave

Portable PVC -netting plant cover Amateur[_2_] Home Repair 5 May 14th 09 11:32 AM
Auto line feed strimmers? Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 11 April 20th 09 12:16 AM
mosquito netting? N8N Home Repair 7 August 25th 08 11:36 PM
Strimmers with wheels - any opinions please [email protected] UK diy 0 October 23rd 07 04:05 PM
Petrol strimmers Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot UK diy 73 June 14th 07 08:16 PM