Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Default Petrol strimmers

I want one.

I'm not terribly rich at the moment.

Which one of these two do I want, or does anyone know of a better one for
=£70?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7201228/Trail/C%24cip%3D49998.DIY%2C%2Bgarden%2Band%2Bcar%3EC%24 cip%3D50094.Garden%2Bpower%2Btools%3EC%24cip%3D500 96.Grass%2Btrimmers.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...2Btrimmers.htm

Kin 'ell, sorry about the enormous URLs but they should work.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
I want one.

I'm not terribly rich at the moment.

Which one of these two do I want, or does anyone know of a better one for
=£70?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7201228/Trail/C%24cip%3D49998.DIY%2C%2Bgarden%2Band%2Bcar%3EC%24 cip%3D50094.Garden%2Bpower%2Btools%3EC%24cip%3D500 96.Grass%2Btrimmers.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...2Btrimmers.htm

What use do you plan for it?

If it is for more than trimming of the edges where a mower can't get, I
suggest that you consider a brushcutter:

eg Argo Spear and Jackson 28CC Petrol Brush cutter.

These do everything a strimmer does, plus one heck of a lot more with
the blade in place - without constant stopping for the blasted lines
when they break every two minutes.

I have had a number of strimmers before finally buying a brush
cutter..now I use it for everything that the petrol mower can't touch.

--
Sue

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Palindrome wrote:

These do everything a strimmer does, plus one heck of a lot more with
the blade in place - without constant stopping for the blasted lines
when they break every two minutes.

I have had a number of strimmers before finally buying a brush
cutter..now I use it for everything that the petrol mower can't touch.

What's the difference? Is a brush cutter simply a strimmer that you can fit
a blade to?

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Palindrome wrote:

These do everything a strimmer does, plus one heck of a lot more with
the blade in place - without constant stopping for the blasted lines
when they break every two minutes.

I have had a number of strimmers before finally buying a brush
cutter..now I use it for everything that the petrol mower can't touch.

What's the difference? Is a brush cutter simply a strimmer that you can fit
a blade to?

It's the blade that makes the difference. It will cut down things like
thistles in an instant - whereas the line on a strimmer will take ages,
assuming that it doesn't break first.. Even tree shoots, bracken,
brambles, almost anything..ideal for clearing an unloved garden.

The length of the thing keeps it away from toes. The blade is friction
driven, so it will stop if it hits anything, without stalling the motor.

--
Sue

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On 2007-06-09 14:27:36 +0100, Palindrome said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Palindrome wrote:

These do everything a strimmer does, plus one heck of a lot more with
the blade in place - without constant stopping for the blasted lines
when they break every two minutes.

I have had a number of strimmers before finally buying a brush
cutter..now I use it for everything that the petrol mower can't touch.

What's the difference? Is a brush cutter simply a strimmer that you
can fit a blade to?

It's the blade that makes the difference. It will cut down things like
thistles in an instant - whereas the line on a strimmer will take ages,
assuming that it doesn't break first.. Even tree shoots, bracken,
brambles, almost anything..ideal for clearing an unloved garden.

The length of the thing keeps it away from toes. The blade is friction
driven, so it will stop if it hits anything, without stalling the motor.

Is the arrangement with the line any better? I have yet to find a
strimmer with a reliable mechanism and reasonable lifetime.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On 2007-06-09 14:27:36 +0100, Palindrome said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Palindrome wrote:

[...]

Nope. Put the line head on and it is much the same as any strimmer of
similar price. I only ever use mine with the blade on though. I find
that I have enough control not to hit anything.

--
Sue

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On 2007-06-09 14:27:36 +0100, Palindrome said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Palindrome wrote:

[...]

The bigger ones are better - use heavier duty line. We have IIRC a
Ryobi? something like that. It needs a new bit of line every year or so.

You DO have to be careful with trees and shrubs though.

However if you need one, you need one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On 2007-06-09 14:27:36 +0100, Palindrome said:

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Palindrome wrote:

[...]

I've owned and used several brushcutters / strimmers.

I'm a more slightly-semi-professional user. I have had all the McCulloch /
own brands et al crap. They are cheap, and will serve a domestic user fairly
well, although the lifetime is around 4-5years at most. When it starts
playing up, chuck it.

They also have some of the most dreadfully awful head's and head mounting
arrangements I've ever experienced. The motors only tend to be powerful
enough for 1.6mm cord too, which will cut weeds and grass around your lawn
but not much else. The auto feed ones invariably do for abit, then don't and
only hold a small amount of line.

A good strimmer will last your lifetime. Stihl is still the best, and
Husquavana a close second. Aim for a 25-30cc machine.

My machine of choice for everyday use is the FS85 with the autocut head. I
buy a drum of the sqaure section jonsered 2.0mm cord, which has sharp edges
and makes most use of the 25cc. The stihl head will hold 2x 2m of cord which
lasts for ages.

Tim..

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Palindrome wrote:

What use do you plan for it?

If it is for more than trimming of the edges where a mower can't get,
I suggest that you consider a brushcutter:

It's just for lawn edges/along fences/around trees and sheds etc. I'm
leaning toward the second one simply because it's just bigger all round.

I take it the line doodah can be re-wound with line, rather than having to
replace the whole thing with a new one?

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Palindrome wrote:
What use do you plan for it?

If it is for more than trimming of the edges where a mower can't get,
I suggest that you consider a brushcutter:

It's just for lawn edges/along fences/around trees and sheds etc. I'm
leaning toward the second one simply because it's just bigger all round.

I take it the line doodah can be re-wound with line, rather than having to
replace the whole thing with a new one?

Yes.

I am not sure a reliable one is to be had for under a ton new though.

Si

Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 14:28:48 +0100, Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot wrote:

I take it the line doodah can be re-wound with line, rather than having
to replace the whole thing with a new one?

Mine can, bought a bulk pack of line from a clearance bin in B&Q about 4
years ago and it still looks as if none has been used. This despite most
strimming being against drystone wall bases which eats line compared to
just strimming vegitation.

Try a google on that make/model you may find better and more accurate
information about it elsewhere.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

I take it the line doodah can be re-wound with line, rather than having to
replace the whole thing with a new one?

Hmm, "it depends" is about the only answer that can be given. Some use
horrible plastic tabs rather than line, thought that says "bump feed" so
it seems fair that it will be line in which case you can rewind it. Some
makes easier than others.

If the screw used to secure the spool is standard (i.e. the same as a
Stihl) then you can find a range of replacement spools and choose what
sort of line to use. I use a 3.3mm line with ours whoch is very heavy
but has the advantage that it can shred thistles and even woody plants.

The brushcutter can be less useful than indicated here. Sure the blade
wil slash through the thick stuff but it doesn't do anything to it,
leaving a mat of stems on the ground that gets to be a PITA to work
with. The line simply reduces everything to pulp.

Anyway if you are serious what you want is one of these:

http://www.bsg-supplies.co.uk/model...._category_id=1

with one of these

http://www.bsg-supplies.co.uk/model...._category_id=1

BTW, returning to sanity for a moment. For anyone that can afford them,
these really are the ultimate DIY tools, since they can power a saw
bench, generator, air compressor etc as well as a range of garden tools
and they can be coupled up to form a small 4x4 tractor and to pull some
seriously large carts as well.

They are the sort of thing that is sometimes seen in newsreel footage
with eight Chinese or Albanian farmers clinging to a truck carring a
couple of tonnes of hay all pulled by one of these tiny walking
tractors.
Posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 13:05:22 GMT, Palindrome wrote:

What use do you plan for it?

That is the key.

Of the two posted I'd go for the second, it has more power and twin line
bump feed head. Twin line means less vibration as the head is balanced.
It'll cope with long rough grass and nettles but not anything woody like
brambles. For that a brush cutter is needed.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

I want one.
I'm not terribly rich at the moment.
Which one of these two do I want, or does anyone know of a better one for
=£70?

Where are you?

I've got one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...29103086&index
URL=1#ebayphotohosting
Or:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...18423120&index
URL=1#ebayphotohosting

(not my auctions)
For sale at the mo, £30. Used last year, but have now upgraded as I'm
going full-time in a gardening/handyman business, and need something a
bit bigger.
I'm in Leicester.
A bit impractical to post it really.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

A.Lee wrote:
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

I want one.
I'm not terribly rich at the moment.
Which one of these two do I want, or does anyone know of a better
one for =£70?

Where are you?

Ramsgate.

I'm in Leicester.

Bugger.

A bit impractical to post it really.
Alan.

Oh well, thanks for the thought.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

I'm in Leicester.

Bugger.

Oh, Leicester can't be that bad, can it? There's the ... erm ... there's
the ... the cheese!
;^)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Jim Ford wrote:
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

I'm in Leicester.

Bugger.

Oh, Leicester can't be that bad, can it? There's the ... erm ...
there's the ... the cheese!
;^)

Well, as I'm one of them southerners I've obviously no idea, or even where
it is for that matter. Googles Ah right. Pah! I've been further north than
that! Once. To Nottingham to get an MGBgt then straight back down to the
safety of the sarf before the sound of the Queen's English confused
everybody and turned them aggressive.

Disclaimer: This post is intended to be humerous, it is not intended to
aggravate northerners. Not even those with flat 'ats, black puddings and
whippets

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

I've been further north than
that! Once. To Nottingham

To Nottingham!? Gosh, that's further north than Luton - I'd love to
travel one day!
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Jim Ford wrote:
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

I'm in Leicester.

Bugger.

Oh, Leicester can't be that bad, can it? There's the ... erm ...
there's the ... the cheese!
;^)

Leicester is a great city. Fantastic market, great shopping, nice pubs with
god beer.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Jim Ford wrote:
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

I'm in Leicester.

Bugger.

Oh, Leicester can't be that bad, can it? There's the ... erm ...
there's the ... the cheese!
;^)

Leicester is a great city. Fantastic market, great shopping, nice
pubs with god beer.

god beer? It's that good is it?

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

They are death to trees: nearly all the trees in our town (that the council
can get at) have been ringbarked by idiots using these horrendous devices,
and the same seems to be the case in most other towns I've visited too.

Using them in a garden - as with other noisy power tools - takes away the
point of having a garden in any case.

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
I want one.

I'm not terribly rich at the moment.

Which one of these two do I want, or does anyone know of a better one for
=£70?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7201228/Trail/C%24cip%3D49998.DIY%2C%2Bgarden%2Band%2Bcar%3EC%24 cip%3D50094.Garden%2Bpower%2Btools%3EC%24cip%3D500 96.Grass%2Btrimmers.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...2Btrimmers.htm

Kin 'ell, sorry about the enormous URLs but they should work.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

"spamlet" wrote in message

SNIP

Using them in a garden - as with other noisy power tools - takes away the
point of having a garden in any case.

SNIP

Hey - nice sandals!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

I want one.

I'm not terribly rich at the moment.

Commiserations.

Which one of these two do I want, or does anyone know of a better one for
=£70?

Jings, I dunno. I tend to buy Stihl brushcutters because I have a huge
area of hedgerow to strim. Like most things, the tool for the job is
worth paying for. But if you are totally strapped for cash it's
difficult to pick. The Stihl is about £130 for a 26cc cutter but it's
well made, I've also owned a "Partner" brushcutter for some time. IIRC
it's another Electrolux brand like Flymo and Husqvarna but it has
performed extremely well over the time I've had it.

Of those two the S&J looks like a bit of cynical branding. No idea who
"landscape" are but I'd prefer a 36cc motor to a 26cc one, so I'd
probably go for that one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
I want one.

I'm not terribly rich at the moment.

Which one of these two do I want, or does anyone know of a better one for
=£70?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7201228/Trail/C%24cip%3D49998.DIY%2C%2Bgarden%2Band%2Bcar%3EC%24 cip%3D50094.Garden%2Bpower%2Btools%3EC%24cip%3D500 96.Grass%2Btrimmers.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...2Btrimmers.htm

Kin 'ell, sorry about the enormous URLs but they should work.

Si

Bought the Spear & Jackson from Argos a few months ago to replace a broken
McCulloch strimmer, so far so good. Comes with 2 year manufacturers
warranty.You can rewind the spool yourself, no need to buy branded spools
and they have a tap and go line feed. They are as good as any cheap petrol
strimmer, ie: McCulloch. If you want something for continuos every day use,
get a Stihl, but make sure it is from the professional range as they also do
a domestic range.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Kaiser wrote:

Bought the Spear & Jackson from Argos a few months ago to replace a broken
McCulloch strimmer, so far so good. Comes with 2 year manufacturers
warranty.You can rewind the spool yourself, no need to buy branded spools
and they have a tap and go line feed. They are as good as any cheap petrol
strimmer, ie: McCulloch. If you want something for continuos every day use,
get a Stihl, but make sure it is from the professional range as they also do
a domestic range.

Oh well, the query prompted me to go and buy one because the Stihl is
about 1000 miles away from here and I need something to clear the drive
and paths which overgrew while I was away. I got the S&J brushcutter
because the Partner briushcutters are "Home Delivery only" and it cost
£69 which seemed OK. It took a little time to assemble, more fiddly than
the Stihl or Partner. It feels flimsy.

The instructions aren't good, but can be followed. It says you need a
torque driver, you don't you need a Torx driver and you need an Allen
key. Neither is supplied. There is an Allen key in the pack, it's the
wrong size. The instructions say you will need an Allen key but don't
mention which size. Fortunately I had a keyring full of them.

Anyway with it all nailed togther I started it which was easy and set
about tackling the weeds. By comparison with anything else I own it's
poor, and it certainly would not cope with hedgerows. Also the bump and
go isn't great by comparison with the Stihl so three or four times I had
to stop and rethread the line because it wasn't feeding properly.

All in all it feels like it won't last for long but it is light,
comfortable to hold and it did the job. Mrs F likes it because she can't
cope with the weight of the Stihl.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
.. .
Kaiser wrote:

[...]

I bought the strimmer version was £59 at the time. Just needed it for
trimming grass around the edges and around trees ( I would need 100+ meters
of cable if I used an electric one) where the mower can't get to. Never had
any problem with assembly, and all of the Allan keys fitted OK.

Just one word of advice, if it's put it away with the tank more than half
full, mine tends to flood the carburetor (noticed a smell of petrol in the
shed after a couple of days).

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Kaiser wrote:

Just one word of advice, if it's put it away with the tank more than half
full, mine tends to flood the carburetor (noticed a smell of petrol in the
shed after a couple of days).

Thanks, I'll see what happens. It looks like there's one pwoer head to
fit a number of shaft/cutter types so this one will probably suffer the
same problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...5/Trail/C%24ci...

Kin 'ell, sorry about the enormous URLs but they should work.

Si

I'd go for a scythe - cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, faster, lasts
for life almost- you might need a new blade eventually but a blade
will outlive any strimmer or powered mower, keeps you fit, highly
effective. For fiddly bits you could try a sickle.

cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

normanwisdom wrote:

I'd go for a scythe - cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, faster, lasts
for life almost- you might need a new blade eventually but a blade
will outlive any strimmer or powered mower, keeps you fit, highly
effective. For fiddly bits you could try a sickle.

cheers
Jacob

I'll change the car's wheels for wooden ones too while I'm at it, live in a
house made of cow ****, and die of consumption at the age of 14.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

I'll change the car's wheels for wooden ones too while I'm at it, live in a
house made of cow ****, and die of consumption at the age of 14.

When you do, can I have one of your sheds, please?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 23:34:07 +0100, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:

normanwisdom wrote:

I'd go for a scythe - cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, faster, lasts
for life almost- you might need a new blade eventually but a blade
will outlive any strimmer or powered mower, keeps you fit, highly
effective. For fiddly bits you could try a sickle.

cheers
Jacob

I'll change the car's wheels for wooden ones too while I'm at it, live in a
house made of cow ****, and die of consumption at the age of 14.

Luxury !

We 'ad it tough ...

DG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

normanwisdom wrote:

I'd go for a scythe - cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, faster, lasts
for life almost- you might need a new blade eventually but a blade
will outlive any strimmer or powered mower, keeps you fit, highly
effective. For fiddly bits you could try a sickle.

Requires a fair bit of skill to use a scythe effectively. It helps ro
be taught by an experienced user.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A sickle, along with a good honing stone in the back pocket to sweeten it up
now and then, is quite simple to master, and will quietly and satisfyingly
cover the ground surprisingly quickly. The thin bladed sort even do a
reasonable job on a lawn, and leave it green, when a combination of mowers
and drought turns most lawns brown. It also enables you to keep your eye on
the real problem weeds so you can hoik them out properly as you go: whereas,
the strimmer brigade only succeed in turning acres into scrub suckers and
dandelion and dock roots: but they don't care cos it's usually someone
else's patch they are working on, and keeping it that way gets them more
'work' the next year. Only problem I had with the sickle was, I didn't like
it when I sliced frogs in half... Scythe handles, tend to be a favourite
with the wood worms, I find...

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
normanwisdom wrote:

I'd go for a scythe - cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, faster, lasts
for life almost- you might need a new blade eventually but a blade
will outlive any strimmer or powered mower, keeps you fit, highly
effective. For fiddly bits you could try a sickle.

Requires a fair bit of skill to use a scythe effectively. It helps ro be
taught by an experienced user.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
spamlet wrote:
Scythe handles, tend to be a favourite with the wood worms, I find...

A few years ago (actually....about 20 now - I must be getting old) my Grandad
died and we had to clear out the house. As there was loads of what appeared
to us to be half decent furniture we got a friendly local antiques guy around.

He dismissed all of the furniture but pulled 3 scythe handles out of the
bonfire we were preparing to light in the garden. That and two egg cups
were all that he found of any value.

Apparantly the handles go for a decent amount of cash to beefeater type
pubs to make them into authentic country pubs (well, that's the idea -
never seen one that didn't just look tacky). They probably pay extra for
authentic wood worm The one up for the road from us has some really
convincing woodworm holes in the beams - they are perfectly square...

Darren
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
normanwisdom wrote:

I'd go for a scythe - cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, faster, lasts
for life almost- you might need a new blade eventually but a blade
will outlive any strimmer or powered mower, keeps you fit, highly
effective. For fiddly bits you could try a sickle.

Requires a fair bit of skill to use a scythe effectively. It helps ro
be taught by an experienced user.

Signed No-toes Viemeister.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:

normanwisdom wrote:

I'd go for a scythe - cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, faster, lasts
for life almost- you might need a new blade eventually but a blade
will outlive any strimmer or powered mower, keeps you fit, highly
effective. For fiddly bits you could try a sickle.

Requires a fair bit of skill to use a scythe effectively. It helps ro
be taught by an experienced user.

Signed No-toes Viemeister.

Never even scratched myself!
Developing a nice, even swing, took a while, though.
Very satisfying, once you get it right.

Sheila
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:

normanwisdom wrote:

I'd go for a scythe - cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, faster, lasts
for life almost- you might need a new blade eventually but a blade
will outlive any strimmer or powered mower, keeps you fit, highly
effective. For fiddly bits you could try a sickle.

Requires a fair bit of skill to use a scythe effectively. It helps ro
be taught by an experienced user.

Signed No-toes Viemeister.

Never even scratched myself!
Developing a nice, even swing, took a while, though.
Very satisfying, once you get it right.

Sheila

Scythe safe for the user but could be a hazard to onlookers especially
if they come too close. And frogs etc but they tend to hop off
sharpish.

cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Jun, 00:49, S Viemeister wrote:
normanwisdom wrote:

I'd go for a scythe - cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, faster, lasts
for life almost- you might need a new blade eventually but a blade
will outlive any strimmer or powered mower, keeps you fit, highly
effective. For fiddly bits you could try a sickle.

Requires a fair bit of skill to use a scythe effectively. It helps ro
be taught by an experienced user.

True but it's not that difficult. There are websites e.g http://www.scythesupply.com/
I use one on my allotment for the long grass, nettles, comfrey, path
edges etc. It's really fast compared to a strimmer. I use a motor
mower for grass paths and lawns however.

cheers
Jacob

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
I want one.

I'm not terribly rich at the moment.

Which one of these two do I want, or does anyone know of a better one for
=£70?

Si

I've been through similar searches recently, and ended up with the Sovereign
Brush Cutter from Homebase. Bought it on their recent 10% day for less than
£90. Assembly instructions, whilst in English, could be better, and I've
now added 2 washers (4mm total thickness) under the main (brush cutter
blade) nut so that the split pin is doing something useful in the safety
department. (No, there weren't any items left over after assembly.)
It has a straight shaft, "bicycle handlebar" control, bevel gear at the
business end, and comes with both brush cutter blade, and strimmer head.
It's my first two stroke garden tool, so I'm unqualified to say how easy it
is to start, but start it does, and biggest initial problem was measuring
5ml oil for the 1:40 oiletrol mix for my 205ml trial fill. (Small 5ml
syringe to the rescue.)

http://www.isc-gmbh.info/isc-gmbh/in...evel5=&level6=

Downloadable manual and brochure in English from the German website above.
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains

Malcolm Stewart wrote:
I've been through similar searches recently, and ended up with the
Sovereign Brush Cutter from Homebase.

Thanks, Malcolm, I'll have a search around for one.

Si

How accurate is your petrol station? The Natural Philosopher UK diy 57 November 3rd 06 07:51 PM
[OT] 99 Octane petrol vortex2 UK diy 135 May 26th 06 01:27 PM
Petrol payment cards r.p.mcmurphy UK diy 13 August 3rd 05 05:07 AM
Chainsaw (petrol) choice Richard UK diy 14 April 12th 05 08:57 PM
Petrol in diesel again! Matthew Barnard UK diy 31 September 23rd 03 07:21 PM