Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

Default Patio Paving

Hi
Wondering if anyone can help with a multitude of questions I have on a
paving project. I am going to pave over an old area using a combination of
the existing base and some new base. The area will only be a patio and not
subject to heavy traffic like a driveway.

Here goes:

This is the area to be done. Most of it already has a concrete base which I
will be leaving alone. There are 2 other areas which I will have to fill in.
http://img181.imageshack.us/i/img0374.jpg/

The 2 areas to be filled in are the ones with mud in the above picture.

I have cleared away an old paved area as it was unlevel
http://img30.imageshack.us/i/img0379ijn.jpg/
http://img30.imageshack.us/i/img0390n.jpg/

First question:
For the 2 areas with mud, obviously I will bring them level with type 1
hardcore, then sand over both areas at once. Question is how deep should I
go? 10CM seems to be recommended for driveways but will less be ok here? May
main problem is getting rid of the mud I dig up, I've already spent time and
money on getting rid of lots of other crap from the garden elsewhere.

This is what it looks like from an edge:
http://img199.imageshack.us/i/img0391n.jpg/

Another issue is that the paving will increase the height of the floor. I
will only be paving up to my gate:
http://img150.imageshack.us/i/img0387u.jpg/

Obviously this will create a small step when you open the gate and go past
it. What are the best ways around this? Maybe a sloped edge so there is no
step? I would prefer to avoid a step as I can see people stumbling over it
not remembering its there!
http://img199.imageshack.us/i/img0380g.jpg/
http://img200.imageshack.us/i/img0381a.jpg/

http://img36.imageshack.us/i/img0377u.jpg/

The fence will be one of the edges. it was put in by the neighbor and it
seems I will have to bash away some of the concrete on my side to make it
look nicer. What is the best way to do this? A chisel and hammer and just
chip away at it until its back at ground level?

Finally - edging. I know with driveways you need an edge - but will I need
one with a patio? my main issue is where I will put the edging. Obviously I
can use the edge of the house and the shed but what about where the
neighbors fence is and my gate is?

http://img8.imageshack.us/i/img0384lvr.jpg/

If you look at this picture you can see where the patio will stop - where
there is a slight drop in the mud. The bit after will be turf - how do i
edge it? I was going to buy some of the 'log wood' edging from B and Q to
separate the patio and turf'

how would you edge the neighbors' fence?

i was hoping to not have a separate ending - just pave close as possible to
all the edges and then fill with cement/sand.

i am unsure if i will be using slabs or the smaller driveway blocks yet.

thanks for any help!