Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

Default Patio Paving

"Phil L" wrote in message
m...

There are several isues here, firstly, you intend paving over a solid
concrete base? - this is a very bad idea and the concrete shopuld be
broken up and removed, otherwise the sand you lay the paving on will wash
away, and furthermore, the part that you intend paving which hasn't got
concrete underneath it will sink slightly with settlement, leaving it
lower than the concreted part.

You /can/ lay the paving over concrete, but it will *all* need to be
concreted first, and then the paving can be laid on blobs of sand/cement,
which won't wash away, but this will still leave you with a step at the
gate, which you don't really want.

To do it properly, you need to remove all the concrete and this way you
will avoid many problems and you can also avoid the need for a step.

You don't need edgings at the fence side because there is a concrete panel
to pave to.

At the 'lawn' or garden edge, you can use paving slabs (flags) on edge,
concreted in, or build a small wall

Thanks for the reply

Firstly, going over the existing bit is cost saving in terms of getting rid
of stuff and saving on type 1 and sharp sand. It also makes the job seem a
lot easier for an amateur like myself!

Secondly, as an amateur I don't think it will be possibly to get a perfect
level finish because I won't be able to properly estimate how how the
finished product will be after compacting because i dunno how much
compacting will take the level down, whereas a pro can probably estimate it
due to experience

I had some pros in for estimates and they all said it was OK to go on the
existing base and it would be silly to get rid as it was fine for a base,
just to match the muddy bit up with type 1 and then sand the lot.

can my final base before the slabs be sand OR a tough surface like concrete?
i prefer the idea of a tough finished base i can just put the slabs on as it
means i wont much it up if i walk over it!
---
can i use something like this as edging on the lawn? with the bumpy bits
paving the slabs and being sanded/cemented in to give a proper conection.