Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Countertop basin - waste fitting & seal?

I've been commanded to fit one of those bowl type countertop basins on
to what is basically a piece of 30mm thick kitchen worktop.

What I'm somewhat baffled about it how to seal the waste? I imagined
that the waste flange would be recessed up into the basin but it isn't
- it's flush with the base. Trying to ensure a seal between the
flange and the worktop (to catch water that comes out of the slot in
the waste) would seem an extremely uncertain task.

Obviously I could just chop a big hole in the worktop but then there's
no way to secure the basin, other then by glueing it.

Is there a recognised way of doing this?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 June, 11:57, Lobster wrote:

Don't understand the question. *What sort of waste fitting are you
attaching? The process is essentially the same regardless of whether the
basin is a free-standing sink, recessed-into-the worktop kitchen sink,
bathtub, whatever - which makes me think there's more to your query than
I'm getting. *Do you have a picture?

The basin sits completely on top of the worktop and I understood that
the normal way to secure them is to cut a hole the same size as the
waste and then put the waste's washer and nut under the worktop so
that it pulls the basin and worktop together and this would also stop
the basin moving. The waste is a slotted pop-up waste (not one of
those operated by a lever).

The problem, as mentioned earlier, is that the basins waste flange is
flush with the worktop and I'm baffled as to how to seal that
"interface" especially as slotted basin wastes can leak at the best of
times.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 June, 11:57, Lobster wrote:

Do you have a picture?

It's very similar to this one. Note that the waste isn't (as I
expected) recessed underneath - it's just flush with the base.
http://www.bathroomevolution.co.uk/i...in--JY-07.html

Clearly I can just cut a large hole in the worktop, but that leaves
the problem of securing the basin. Clearly I can just glue it but
that doesn't seem ideal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 June, 17:52, Lobster wrote:
But I can't imagine for a moment that the waste thing is to be
sealed against the underside of the worktop: surely it will seal against
the sink itself. *Otherwise water will get into the cut edge of the
worktop...

Exactly. So the only way to do it would be to cut bigger hole. As
the underside of my basin is pretty flat I do have space to do that,
but you imagine that on some bowl sahped basins there wouldn't be much
underside to play with and securing them would be difficult.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I've been commanded to fit one of those bowl type countertop basins on
to what is basically a piece of 30mm thick kitchen worktop.

What I'm somewhat baffled about it how to seal the waste? I imagined
that the waste flange would be recessed up into the basin but it isn't
- it's flush with the base. Trying to ensure a seal between the
flange and the worktop (to catch water that comes out of the slot in
the waste) would seem an extremely uncertain task.

Obviously I could just chop a big hole in the worktop but then there's
no way to secure the basin, other then by glueing it.

Is there a recognised way of doing this?

Don't know if this is any help but I had a quick look at villeroy & boch
site and they appear to use a hook shaped bolt(s) . The hook going into a
hole in the basin and then through a hole in the counter top
For the basin at
http://www.villeroy-boch.com/en/gb/p...ml?vb_product2[colkey]=62.1.66722.1&vb_product2[subproductgroupkey]=53.1.17694.1&vb_product2[action]=detail

http://www.villeroy-boch.com/fileadmin/picdb/produkte/bad/daten/XX/718400_AWT_AVEO.PDF
shows the bolt assembly
http://www.villeroy-boch.com/fileadm.../EN/718400.PDF
shows the hole positions

Peterk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 June, 22:10, "PeterK" wrote:

Don't know if this is any help but I had a quick look at villeroy & boch
site and they appear to use a hook shaped bolt(s) . The hook going into a
hole in the basin and then through a hole in the counter top

Thanks for that, but there's certainly on physical way of bolting down
the one I've got.

I suppose that they might often be placed on slate and so the same
issues as I've got with a worktop getting wet don't arise. However
you'd still probably want to seal between the basin flange and the
slotted waste otherwise you could end up with water leaking from under
the basin and spreading across the slate.

I'm thinking I could put the waste in place in the basin (it's a
pretty close fit in the hole) and then glue it in place with Sticks
Like Sh*t - my concern there is that if it doesn't work then I'll be a
bit stuffed!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 June, 22:10, "PeterK" wrote:

Don't know if this is any help but I had a quick look at villeroy & boch
site and they appear to use a hook shaped bolt(s) . The hook going into a
hole in the basin and then through a hole in the counter top

Thanks for that, but there's certainly no physical way of bolting down
the one I've got.

I suppose that these sort of basins might often be placed on slate and
so the same
issues as I've got with a worktop getting wet don't arise. However
you'd still probably want to seal between the basin flange and the
slotted waste otherwise you could end up with water leaking from under
the basin and spreading across the slate.

I'm thinking I could put the waste in place in the basin (it's a
pretty close fit in the hole) and then glue it in place with Sticks
Like Sh*t - my concern there is that if it doesn't work then I'll be a
bit stuffed!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm thinking I could put the waste in place in the basin (it's a
pretty close fit in the hole) and then glue it in place with Sticks
Like Sh*t - my concern there is that if it doesn't work then I'll be a
bit stuffed!

Just use silicone. It'll be fine.
Cut the hole in the worktop for the waste. I reckon at least 10mm
clearance all round. Seal the hole with silicone or paint.Fit the waste
to the bowl, then silicone the whole lot down to the worktop.

If in future it needs to come up, then a bit of levering will get it up.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 June, 18:26, (A.Lee) wrote:

Just use silicone. It'll be fine.
Cut the hole in the worktop for the waste. I reckon at least 10mm
clearance all round. Seal the hole with silicone or paint.Fit the waste
to the bowl, then silicone the whole lot down to the worktop.

If in future it needs to come up, then a bit of levering will get it up.

Thanks - I think that probably is the only way to do it, relying on a
bead of silicon around the base of the bowl to hold it firmly in
place. I suppose I could always make up a piece of sheet steel or
something and use that, with a second waste nut, to clamp the whole
assembly together.

I will seal the edges of the hole in the worktop too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
Clearly I can just cut a large hole in the worktop, but that leaves
the problem of securing the basin. Clearly I can just glue it but
that doesn't seem ideal.

You'd normally bed it on silicone - you wouldn't want water getting
between the worktop and basin bottom.

--
*To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
Thanks - I think that probably is the only way to do it, relying on a
bead of silicon around the base of the bowl to hold it firmly in
place. I suppose I could always make up a piece of sheet steel or
something and use that, with a second waste nut, to clamp the whole
assembly together.

There'll be no need - silicone will hold it firmly enough, After all it's
unlikely to have much sideways force applied to it. I have an inset one -
and the only thing that stops it moving is the silicone seal - and you've
got a much larger area to play with.

--
*I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 June, 11:07, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
... it's unlikely to have much sideways force applied to it.

I hope that's true, but I have to allow for a couple of teenagers (and
their friends) who can sometimes be astonishingly heavy handed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Done this job now - I did simply cut a much larger hole and I used
cone shaped bung from B&Q to seal the slotted trap directly to the
basin. This worked well, first time, and without any additional
sealant - for general interest details of the seal he
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/fo...te-t10697.html .
It's made by Robimatic but the packaging has changed as noted in the
thread - if only I'd read that first I might have found it quicker in
the shop!

I then stuck the basin in place with silicone sealant - the basin had
two "rings" of points of contact with the surface and it appears to
have stuck fine.

Connecting basin waste to WC waste avocado UK diy 3 June 13th 08 09:13 AM
Basin waste - what sealer do I use? diy-newby UK diy 8 October 16th 07 08:54 PM
Basin waste plug Tim Lamb UK diy 9 March 24th 07 09:51 AM
Basin Waste over joist! Peter Hemmings UK diy 13 October 22nd 06 11:30 AM
Adding a basin to a toilet with no route for basin waste pipe Richard Hamer UK diy 24 July 22nd 04 12:12 AM