Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oh FFS

Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are they called
and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I just can't bloody
find one! :-)

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are they called

fugenboy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 June, 21:00, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:
Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are they called
and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I just can't bloody
find one! :-)

That'll be a sealant smoother then and yes they do - link probably too
long to work so might need copying and pasting
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/99849/...mover%20Too l
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are
they called and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I
just can't bloody find one! :-)

That'll be a sealant smoother then and yes they do - link probably too
long to work so might need copying and pasting
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/99849/...mover%20Too l

I *searched* for smoother and it showed me paint!

Thanks.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are
they called

fugenboy

There's no call to be rude.

Ta

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are they called

fugenboy

If you're really stuck, as I was one day, then B&Q sell an Evo-Stick
"sealant bead tool" which will do the job, just.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are they called
and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I just can't bloody
find one! :-)

SF do Fugenboy, Plumbworld do Fugi (I prefer the latter)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are
they called and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I
just can't bloody find one! :-)

That'll be a sealant smoother then and yes they do - link probably too
long to work so might need copying and pasting
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/99849/...mover%20Too l

Nope! Thats not a fugenboy. Go sit in the corner :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are
they called and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I
just can't bloody find one! :-)

That'll be a sealant smoother then and yes they do - link probably too
long to work so might need copying and pasting
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/99849/...Sealant-Guns-A...

Nope! *Thats not a fugenboy. *Go sit in the corner :-)

Shan't p
I put it to you that it's what the OP was after. So there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are
they called and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I
just can't bloody find one! :-)

That'll be a sealant smoother then and yes they do - link probably
too long to work so might need copying and pasting
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/99849/...Sealant-Guns-A...

Nope! Thats not a fugenboy. Go sit in the corner :-)

Shan't p
I put it to you that it's what the OP was after. So there.

M'lud, the OP asked for "Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of
sealant". I put it to the jury, that they suggestion made by our usually
learned colleague is pants. Those Unibond rigid plastic things are
hopeless.

The OP was clearly after a Fuegenboy. My case rests.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 21:27:34 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are they called

fugenboy

If you're really stuck, as I was one day, then B&Q sell an Evo-Stick
"sealant bead tool" which will do the job, just.

If you want a smooth line on something like sealing a bath, try using an ice
cube. Use the heat from your hands to melt the sharp corners off, then use
the shape you've made to run along the line of mastic and you'll get a nice,
smooth finish to it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 21:27:34 +0100, Steve Firth wrote:

If you're really stuck, as I was one day, then B&Q sell an Evo-Stick
"sealant bead tool" which will do the job, just.

Hopeless Base also have something normally on sale with one of those
promotional video things associated. Very impressive demos but watch them
carefully, both sides of the sealant bead are smooth and flat, they
carefully avoid showing what happens if the tool encounters a grout
line...

It's a set of three(?) bits of soft plastic with various sized radiused
corners.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are
they called and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I
just can't bloody find one! :-)

That'll be a sealant smoother then and yes they do - link probably
too long to work so might need copying and pasting
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/99849/...Sealant-Guns-A....

Nope! Thats not a fugenboy. Go sit in the corner :-)

Shan't p
I put it to you that it's what the OP was after. So there.

M'lud, the OP asked for "Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of
sealant". *I put it to the jury, that they suggestion made by our usually
learned colleague is pants. *Those Unibond rigid plastic things are
hopeless.

The OP was clearly after a Fuegenboy. *My case rests.

I would urge m'learned to take back spurious, nay, calumnious
accusations of pantage as there are many things that would do the job,
albeit with varying degrees of success/professionalism...sealant
smoothers come in many shapes and forms from Unibond et al through
Fugenboy to wooden spoon handles and just about anything Fugen else.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are they called
and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I just can't bloody
find one! :-)

Si

MkI standard wet finger. For acrylic caulk.

Or MkII scalpel, for silicone, after its set..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 23:38:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
had this to say:

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are they called
and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I just can't bloody
find one! :-)

Si

MkI standard wet finger.

That's exactly the traditional way of doing it.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lino expert wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/99849/...Sealant-Guns-A...

Nope! Thats not a fugenboy. Go sit in the corner :-)

Shan't p
I put it to you that it's what the OP was after. So there.

M'lud, the OP asked for "Those tools that give a perfect smooth line
of sealant". I put it to the jury, that they suggestion made by our
usually learned colleague is pants. Those Unibond rigid plastic
things are hopeless.

The OP was clearly after a Fuegenboy. My case rests.

I would urge m'learned to take back spurious, nay, calumnious
accusations of pantage as there are many things that would do the job,
albeit with varying degrees of success/professionalism...sealant
smoothers come in many shapes and forms from Unibond et al through
Fugenboy to wooden spoon handles and just about anything Fugen else.

I call upon my expert witness Alan A Daiswerk, professor of sealant at Bath
University. "Extensive research has shown that the angle at the front of
the Unibond tool is exactly the same as the angle on the front of a pair of
Y fronts, thus proving the 'pants' allegation conclusively."

I would also draw my learned colleagues attention to the statement by Hans
Fugenfoetus, great grandson of Helmut Von Fugen the inventor. "Not only can
we smooth sealant, we can make the trains run on time".

Fugenboy is the true path to happiness, sealant wise.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mungo \Two Sheds\ Toadfoot wrote:
Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are they
called and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I just
can't bloody find one! :-)

Don't think there's any one universal solution. I have the Fugi kit and it
gets quite a bit of use - but it won't work for everything.

Was recently decorating some panel doors where the mouldings had moved
away from the frames - old doors and central heating - and filled this
with caulk, but the gap was too narrow for any of the Fugi profiles. A
damp cloth worked perfectly.

--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 June, 08:13, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Lino expert wrote:
[...]

Referee!
Vastly unfair to bring in references to Y-fronts, about which I know
nothing nor indeed wish to.
My expert witness is Timothy Leary who, amongst other things, attests
that (and I quote) "hey man, anything used on the coast for the
purpose is best because the seal ants moo there." Proof positive if it
were needed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-06-01, Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are they called
and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I just can't bloody
find one! :-)

I didn't know there was a tool. I use two lines of masking tape.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 01:15:16 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:
MkI standard wet finger.

That's exactly the traditional way of doing it.

Always the way I've done it, too. Any time I've tried using anything else,
it's just made a mess.

Only read about the masking tape trick a few months ago, though - I think
I might try that for the corners next time.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
saying something like:

Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are they called

Forefinger.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 23:38:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
had this to say:

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are they
called
and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I just can't
bloody
find one! :-)

Si

MkI standard wet finger.

That's exactly the traditional way of doing it.

--
Frank Erskine

If you rub vaseline onto your finger first you won't end up in a sticky
mess...

[No, seriously, it acts as a release agent and is particularly helpful with
the better quality sealants].

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
saying something like:

Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are they
called

Forefinger.

Too bit a radius for some things, though. Like filling a gap between walls
and skirting board.

--
*I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Too bit a radius for some things, though.

Must get a new keyboard where the letters still show. I meant big.

--
*It's this dirty because I washed it with your wife's knickers*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-06-01, Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are they called
and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I just can't bloody
find one! :-)

I didn't know there was a tool. I use two lines of masking tape.

Definitely the masking tape first, followed by some kind of tool to form
the smooth profile. This includes thinning both edges of the profile
right down to the bare tape, so when you gently peel the off tape it
will leave a clean edge with a very thin but definite shoulder. I think
that kind of edge is longer-lasting than a profile that tapers down to
literally zero thickness (and zero strength).

In practice, peeling the tape will lift off a few tiny feathers of
silicone, which then need to be smoothed back down onto the profile.
This part of the job needs a very delicate touch, and I've found no
substitute for a bare fingertip. Haven't tried vaseline for keeping
fingers non-sticky, but 50:50 washing-up liquid and water in a yogurt
pot works very well indeed - the silicone just falls off into the pot.

Knowing that it's going to come down to bare fingers in the end, I
usually don't bother with any kind of profiling tool. Fingers and thumbs
come in a range of sizes, in left- and right-handed pairs, and can make
a very good-looking job. The quality of finish comes mostly from the
masking tape and the lubrication.

--
Ian White

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Funk wrote:
On 2009-06-01, Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

[...]

I have tried the finger / tape method - and while it works, I find the
results are less consistent that with a tool. However the real killer is
the difference in speed - using the tool is *so* much faster and easier
that I would not dream of doing it any other way these days.

I am not convinced by the weakness of the edge argument - the tools
typically leave a flat surface to the bead that meets the wall at 45
degrees. A finger tends to make a concave bead that meets the wall at a
shallower angle. So while the tape may leave a marginally thicker edge -
it backs onto a larger expanse of thin sealant.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Lino expert wrote:
[...]

You mentioned bumpy jumpers a while ago.

My expert witness is Timothy Leary SNIP

Sorry expert witness's have to be alive, yours croaked in 96.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

I have tried the finger / tape method - and while it works, I find the
results are less consistent that with a tool. However the real killer is
the difference in speed - using the tool is *so* much faster and easier
that I would not dream of doing it any other way these days.

Thats what a girlfriend once told me too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 23:38:15 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
had this to say:

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are
they called
and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I just can't
bloody
find one! :-)

Si

MkI standard wet finger.

That's exactly the traditional way of doing it.

--
Frank Erskine

If you rub vaseline onto your finger first you won't end up in a
sticky mess...

[No, seriously, it acts as a release agent and is particularly
helpful with the better quality sealants].

Having looked at the shed's dismal plastic offerings that's exactly what
I'll be using - a vaselined finger! Touch your toes, missus, it's your lucky
day.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
saying something like:

Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are
they called

Forefinger.

Hmmm... it seems the digits will have to suffice after all.

As an aside I ordered five worktop end strips from Screwfix this morning.
None in stock at my local-ish branch at all. I also ordered a couple of
tubes of silicone to save having to go out for them. Got a message on the
answering machine later saying they've got no worktop ends so will be
sending just the silicone!

I spoke to a woman on't phone and tried to cancel but she said the order had
already been depatched. I whinged and she denied it was obvious that I
wouldn't want the silicone if I couldn't have the ends but then immediately
changed her mind and said they'd do a full refund and I could keep the
silicone FOC, so there must have been a bloke involved there somewhere.
Vague apologies to any women reading but face it: you generally don't know
what the **** you're talking about when it comes to DIY.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 June, 20:19, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
[...]

Some of us know what a sealant smoother's called though, monkey boy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
Too bit a radius for some things, though. Like filling a gap between
walls and skirting board.

Little finger?

Still too big if you're papering. The smallest radius on a Fugi is
purrfect - as well as removing any excess from wall and skirting which a
finger doesn't do.

--
*Not all men are annoying. Some are dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lino expert wrote:

Some of us know what a sealant smoother's called though, monkey boy.

I saw the one you pointed me to in B&Q. Piece of crap. Fugenboy was the name
which eluded me, understandably too.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 June, 12:38, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
wrote:
Lino expert wrote:

Some of us know what a sealant smoother's called though, monkey boy.

I saw the one you pointed me to in B&Q. Piece of crap. Fugenboy was the name
which eluded me, understandably too.

A speedy volte-face, still, hopefully you got what you were after.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Lino expert wrote:

Some of us know what a sealant smoother's called though, monkey boy.

I saw the one you pointed me to in B&Q. Piece of crap. Fugenboy was
the name which eluded me, understandably too.

A speedy volte-face,

Is that French for pants?

:-)

--