Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian White Ian White is offline

Default Oh FFS

Adam Funk wrote:
On 2009-06-01, Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:

Those tools that give a perfect smooth line of sealant - WTF are they called
and do Screwfix sell them? No, I haven't started yet, I just can't bloody
find one! :-)

I didn't know there was a tool. I use two lines of masking tape.

Definitely the masking tape first, followed by some kind of tool to form
the smooth profile. This includes thinning both edges of the profile
right down to the bare tape, so when you gently peel the off tape it
will leave a clean edge with a very thin but definite shoulder. I think
that kind of edge is longer-lasting than a profile that tapers down to
literally zero thickness (and zero strength).

In practice, peeling the tape will lift off a few tiny feathers of
silicone, which then need to be smoothed back down onto the profile.
This part of the job needs a very delicate touch, and I've found no
substitute for a bare fingertip. Haven't tried vaseline for keeping
fingers non-sticky, but 50:50 washing-up liquid and water in a yogurt
pot works very well indeed - the silicone just falls off into the pot.

Knowing that it's going to come down to bare fingers in the end, I
usually don't bother with any kind of profiling tool. Fingers and thumbs
come in a range of sizes, in left- and right-handed pairs, and can make
a very good-looking job. The quality of finish comes mostly from the
masking tape and the lubrication.

--
Ian White