Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi hoist

Hello,

I just wondered how did you get on with the Aldi hoist? I see my store
has a couple left and I am still wondering about getting one to lower
and lift my Christmas tree into the loft!

Thanks.
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 June, 09:45, Stephen wrote:

I just wondered how did you get on with the Aldi hoist?

2/3rd the price of the same kit from Machine Mart et al.

It's a fine little hoist for what it does, which is pretty limited. If
you need a Christmas tree lifter, then go for it. Otherwise you're
likely to buy it and leave it sat on the "Come In Handy" shelf.

I've used mine a couple of times, and for winching it worked pretty
well (it allowed me to stay at the opposite end of the garage, where I
could see better). For lifting though, I still prefer my assorted
chain hoists (esp. the worm-drives) as they have better control for
lifting and lowering at sub-inch increments.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 02:50:59 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

It's a fine little hoist for what it does, which is pretty limited.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound too good. OTOH I am not looking to lift
engines out of cars, just to lift a few boxes into/out of the loft
occasionally. What, if anything, does it come with for mounting?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
It's a fine little hoist for what it does, which is pretty limited.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound too good.

It's a good little thing for what it does, but it's just not that
common that you need one.

If you need a regular convenient lifts in one place, it's great. So
for in & out of a loft hatch / windmill, it could be just the ticket.

If you need precise control, you might be as well with a hand-worked
hoist.

If you need transport, then you'd need to fasten it to an elephant
block or similar (and also deal with the power cable).

What, if anything, does it come with for mounting?

A horizontal flat plate, with some tapped holes in it - four M8s as I
remember. I think there were some U-brackets included too. With what's
in the box it would fasten round a horizontal scaff pole or similar.
Mine had a couple of steel straps made up to suit, then bolts through
that into the plate. Given the usual workshop "bag of bolts, pillar
drill and a scrapbin of barstock" it's easy enough to fit to anything.

It does have quite nice microswitch arrangements for stopping it if
the cable jumps the reel.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote on 01/06/2009 :
Oh dear, that doesn't sound too good. OTOH I am not looking to lift
engines out of cars, just to lift a few boxes into/out of the loft
occasionally. What, if anything, does it come with for mounting?

For boxes in and out of the loft, I found that fixing a single wheel
pulley over the centre of the opening works fine with a bit of rope.
Just needs someone up there to land them.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I just wondered how did you get on with the Aldi hoist? I see my store
has a couple left and I am still wondering about getting one to lower
and lift my Christmas tree into the loft!

Thanks.
Stephen.

Basic electric hoists are ideal for loft goods lifting. Typically come
with 4x M8 holes for mounting, so get yourself some M8 threaded rod
and M8 locknuts. Also check the controller wire's long enough, it
isn't always, and its likely to be 4 core.

NT