newman

Default Where can I buy a rope hoist?

As subject. For domestic use.

Regards
mrcheerful

"newman" wrote in message
As subject. For domestic use.

Regards

search on block and tackle suppliers.

locally I would nip round to a ship chandlers

If you want something to lift stuff into the loft then a wire rope winch for
a boat trailer would do.

mrcheerful

Howard

newman wrote:
As subject. For domestic use.

BDSM?

--
Howard
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 10:55:50 GMT, "mrcheerful
.." wrote:

locally I would nip round to a ship chandlers

Or a jeweller's, which is cheaper.
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:31:19 GMT, Howard
wrote:

BDSM?

groan You really don't want to know about the paperwork hassles
in making BDSM furniture with winches to lift people. I guess D-I-Y is
easy enough (Oh, sorry dear !) but if you're looking to sell the
things, then rope-based winches are pretty much out.

mrcheerful

." wrote:

locally I would nip round to a ship chandlers

Or a jeweller's, which is cheaper.

???

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:16:22 GMT, "mrcheerful
.." wrote:

???

Have you seen the price of yachtie chandlery ?
newman

newman wrote:

As subject. For domestic use.

Regards

I was thinking more of this type of thing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...Pr4_PcN__Shops

Regards
Cicero

"newman" wrote in message
newman wrote:

As subject. For domestic use.

Regards

I was thinking more of this type of thing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...Pr4_PcN__Shops

Regards

====================
That looks like a 'Haltrac' engine hoist. They were common enough in most
car accessory shops a few years ago. It might be worth trawling around a few
of your local car shops.

Cic.

mrcheerful

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:16:22 GMT, "mrcheerful
." wrote:

???

Have you seen the price of yachtie chandlery ?

Aah, I see, round here there are 'real' ships chandlers, as opposed to
'captains hat and a fibreglass cabin cruiser' places. So I didn't think of
cost.

If the OP says the likely load and lift length perhaps we could give more
ideas?

mrcheerful

mrcheerful

"Cicero" wrote in message
. uk...

"newman" wrote in message
newman wrote:

As subject. For domestic use.

Regards

I was thinking more of this type of thing

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...Pr4_PcN__Shops

Regards

====================
That looks like a 'Haltrac' engine hoist. They were common enough in most
car accessory shops a few years ago. It might be worth trawling around a
few
of your local car shops.

Cic.

Trouble with haltrac is the limited lift length. You can buy very cheap
wire rope versions nowadays, but they have the same limitation.

I use a tirfor wire rope winch, which has practically limitless pulling
distance, as the wire goes straight through the unit, no pulleys to get full
up.

mrcheerful

newman wrote:
As subject. For domestic use.

Regards

I dont know how much youll use it, but if its just for occasional use,
you could probably make one for a few quid using a metal bar and no
pulleys, and nylon rope. If you use it day in day out the rope will
fray after a while because of the lack of pulleys, I mention it cos
most of us will have enough bits in our box to make something up in 10
minutes.

Even a decent piece of wood could be used as a pulley block if the load
isnt too much, just drill generous holes in it and curve the hole
corners round so the rope sees a smooth graduated bend.

Note I've not made them that way, but have used enough of the
techniques described here to think it should work.

Many times I find its quicker to make my own kit than go to a shop.

NT

Alan Holmes

wrote:

BDSM?

groan You really don't want to know about the paperwork hassles
in making BDSM furniture with winches to lift people. I guess D-I-Y is
easy enough (Oh, sorry dear !) but if you're looking to sell the
things, then rope-based winches are pretty much out.

You are obviously an expert!(:-)

Very skilled at BDSM!

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Alan Holmes

"newman" wrote in message
As subject. For domestic use.

Regards

If you had a sensible email address, no matter how presented, I could have
offered you one!