Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default electric motors

Trying to source some electric motors, just small ones
3 or 6 volt that could spin a fan or similar.
Aart from buying a hand held fan and stripping it down, anyone
know a supplier? (Maplin sold out locally)
TIA
--
Vass
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Vass wrote:
Trying to source some electric motors, just small ones
3 or 6 volt that could spin a fan or similar.
Aart from buying a hand held fan and stripping it down, anyone
know a supplier? (Maplin sold out locally)

Google?

eg.

http://www.myhobbies.myzen.co.uk/sho...gories&group=8

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gordon Henderson" wrote in message
In article ,
Vass wrote:
Trying to source some electric motors, just small ones
3 or 6 volt that could spin a fan or similar.
Aart from buying a hand held fan and stripping it down, anyone
know a supplier? (Maplin sold out locally)

Google?

eg.

http://www.myhobbies.myzen.co.uk/sho...gories&group=8

brushless motors are Li-po 13 volt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
Vass wrote:
Trying to source some electric motors, just small ones
3 or 6 volt that could spin a fan or similar.
Aart from buying a hand held fan and stripping it down, anyone
know a supplier? (Maplin sold out locally)

Google?

eg.

http://www.myhobbies.myzen.co.uk/sho...gories&group=8

Gordon

http://www.rapidonline.com/searchres...yle=0&kw=motor

http://www.mutr.co.uk/index.php?cPath=13
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 09:27, "Vass" wrote:
Trying to source some electric motors, just small ones
3 or 6 volt that could spin a fan or similar.

http://www.mutr.co.uk

Absolute goldmine of stuff, and good prices too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 10:04, "Vass" wrote:

http://www.myhobbies.myzen.co.uk/sho...gories&group=8

brushless motors are Li-po 13 volt

Not all brushless motors are intended for Li-po use, but they do all
need controllers, and these are an extra 20 quid or so (for model shop
cheap brushlesses with no integral controller)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On 26 May, 09:27, "Vass" wrote:
Trying to source some electric motors, just small ones
3 or 6 volt that could spin a fan or similar.

http://www.mutr.co.uk

Absolute goldmine of stuff, and good prices too.

just the job, thanks muchly
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:
Trying to source some electric motors, just small ones 3 or 6 volt that
could spin a fan or similar.
Aart from buying a hand held fan and stripping it down, anyone know a
supplier? (Maplin sold out locally)
TIA

Lots and lots available from model suppliers.

I've probably got a few lying around

Google 'Speed 300' - that's a motor that will take 5-6A on 3-6v.

If you post up the sort of fan diameter and power you want to use, I can
tell you what would work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:
Trying to source some electric motors, just small ones
3 or 6 volt that could spin a fan or similar.
Aart from buying a hand held fan and stripping it down, anyone
know a supplier? (Maplin sold out locally)

Google?

eg.

http://www.myhobbies.myzen.co.uk/sho...gories&group=8

brushless motors are Li-po 13 volt

Don't use bnrushless for a simple application.
Too complex.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

'Speed 300' - that's a motor that will take 5-6A on 3-6v.

If you post up the sort of fan diameter and power you want to use, I can
tell you what would work.

Actually, I'm after a slow speed (30rpm) windmill affair, with LEDs at the
'wingtips'
I've bought some POT's and LED's a few strip circuit boards, just hope the
simple motors can
withstand the torque as the whole arrangement also needs to rotate around
the base axis.
so the path of the LED's create an imaginary ball - approx size = 20 to 30cm
(if you see what I mean)
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 12:52, "Vass" wrote:

Actually, I'm after a slow speed (30rpm) windmill affair, with LEDs at the
'wingtips'

Try mutr.co.uk and their "solar motors", assuming that your "fan" is
more of a "whirling light display paddle" rather than a device for
pumping air. These motors are low power, but also very low current
draw and nicely controllable to slow speeds.

30rpm really is pretty slow though, so you might want a geared motor
for that. mutr do some good cheap gearboxes (120:1 for 3 quid,
including motor) - they might have some with the 30-50:1 reduction
ratio that fits what you're asking for here.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:

'Speed 300' - that's a motor that will take 5-6A on 3-6v.

If you post up the sort of fan diameter and power you want to use, I
can tell you what would work.

Actually, I'm after a slow speed (30rpm) windmill affair, with LEDs at
the 'wingtips'
I've bought some POT's and LED's a few strip circuit boards, just hope
the simple motors can
withstand the torque as the whole arrangement also needs to rotate
around the base axis.
so the path of the LED's create an imaginary ball - approx size = 20 to
30cm
(if you see what I mean)

The natural speed of a small electric motor -is 5000-30,000RPM, so you
are going to need something like a worm drive box.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vass" wrote in message
o.uk...
Trying to source some electric motors, just small ones 3 or 6 volt that
could spin a fan or similar.
Aart from buying a hand held fan and stripping it down, anyone know a
supplier? (Maplin sold out locally)
TIA
--
Vass

Maplin appear to have plenty on line..
Another manufacturer is SEM who I believe used to make the little DC motors
for attachment to Meccano models in the 1940s when I first got into
electrics!!!
Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave Osborne
writes
http://www.rapidonline.com/searchres...yle=0&kw=motor

http://www.mutr.co.uk/index.php?cPath=13

Damnit, every time I manage to put MUTR to the back of my mind someone
posts a bloody link. Far too many fun gadgets and pretty damn good
prices too!
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 May 2009 14:44:26 UTC, Owain
wrote:

Vass wrote:
(Maplin sold out locally)

Then your local shop should be able to do you a mail order from the
warehouse, and waive the p&p charge.

I thought they stopped doing that a while ago.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually, I'm after a slow speed (30rpm) windmill affair, with LEDs at
the 'wingtips'
I've bought some POT's and LED's a few strip circuit boards, just hope
the simple motors can
withstand the torque as the whole arrangement also needs to rotate around
the base axis.
so the path of the LED's create an imaginary ball - approx size = 20 to
30cm
(if you see what I mean)

The natural speed of a small electric motor -is 5000-30,000RPM, so you are
going to need something like a worm drive box.

yep you're right
I managed to get a loose contraption from my kids KNEX box
but I need to build something more substantial and less "wobbly"
This is the KNEX result
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canon-eos/3556720830/
--
Vass