Electronics (alt.electronics)

Michael

Default 2 Questions about electric motors

Hi,

1.
I have a 36v motor that i need to control. I thought abouit using multiple
6v batteries, then stepping up the voltage. Would this damage the motor?
2.
At what level is it best to run a motor at, in terms of % if stall was 100%?

Thanks

Michael

Don Kelly

----------------------------
"Michael" wrote in message
k...
Hi,

1.
I have a 36v motor that i need to control. I thought abouit using multiple
6v batteries, then stepping up the voltage. Would this damage the motor?
2.
At what level is it best to run a motor at, in terms of % if stall was
100%?

Thanks

Michael

---
How you control the motor is somewhat dependent on how large it is and what
you are using it for. You can get crude step control by using 3,4,5, or 6
batteries in series- for small motors. At lower voltages, the control will
not be particularly effective as the available torque drops. A source of 36
to 40V with an electronic control will work well or, if the motor is small
enough (and a 36V motor may well be too large) use of resistance control.
I assume that this is a permanent magnet DC motor or you can separate the
field from the armature circuit if a shunt motor.

As for the level of operation - depending again on the motor, the best
operating point is at a load well below stall -say under 30% of stall
torque. It depends on the motor characteristics and type but for a PM DC
motor or separately excited motor, the peak power output will be at about
50% of stall torque and current.

--

Don Kelly @shawcross.ca
remove the X to answer

JeffM

I have a 36v motor that i need to control.
I thought abouit using multiple 6v batteries,
then stepping up the voltage.
Michael

http://www.google.com/search?q=defin...dth+modulation
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=in...dulation+motor

Which Book on the selection of electric motors??? [email protected] Electronics Repair 6 October 27th 05 05:34 PM
Gas or Electric? phaeton Home Repair 22 October 27th 05 12:21 AM
PEX Fresh Water system/repipe questions -l ong BobK207 Home Repair 1 March 13th 05 10:37 PM
Gas vs. Electric Dryer DaveG Home Ownership 82 February 23rd 05 10:34 AM
GE HTS22GBMARWW Digital Controls refrig 22 cu ft.....main bord failure number #3! henrib7 Home Repair 7 June 13th 04 09:30 AM