Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default adjust water pressure on bolier

I had very low water pressure on my boiler, have tried to adjust to
twisting tap a little but now it's full on and right around the dial.
how do I regulate it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FionaS" wrote in message
I had very low water pressure on my boiler, have tried to adjust to
twisting tap a little but now it's full on and right around the dial.
how do I regulate it?

The tap should be switched off, and not left on!
The tap is for adding SOME more water to the system, so once the gauge shows
around 1 bar (cold system) then you should turn it off..

You need to make sure the tap is off, and then bleed some water out, either
by a drain point in the system
(looks like this usually
http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/10/p1942710_l.jpg)
Or via a radiator bleeding valve (look on the end of the top of any of your
radiator, there will be a valve like this
http://www.oakus.co.uk/westleairb/radiators.php

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

FionaS wrote:
I had very low water pressure on my boiler, have tried to adjust to
twisting tap a little but now it's full on and right around the dial.
how do I regulate it?

Full details he

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

many thanks. As you've probably gathered central heating systems are
like Chinese to me!

I have turned off tap, bled radiators, and pressure has revered back
to normal.

Anything else to do before i try to restart system?

fiona

ps one of the links given said not to bleed radiators if you have a
combi boiler, is really true? What on earth do you do when they are
not functioning correctly an only lower half is hot?

On May 26, 11:05*am, John Rumm wrote:
FionaS wrote:
I had very low water pressure on my boiler, have tried to adjust to
twisting tap a little but now it's full on and right around the dial.
how do I regulate it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

FionaS wrote:

many thanks. As you've probably gathered central heating systems are
like Chinese to me!

I have turned off tap, bled radiators, and pressure has revered back
to normal.

If the pressure is around about 1 to 1.5 bar (15 - 25 PSI) on the gauge
when the system is cold then it should be ok. The pressure will rise as
it heats up - but should not go over say 2.5 bar.

Anything else to do before i try to restart system?

Nope, sounds like you are ready to go.

ps one of the links given said not to bleed radiators if you have a

Was that a link to one of "our" docs or off site somewhere? Its nonsense
obviously.

combi boiler, is really true? What on earth do you do when they are
not functioning correctly an only lower half is hot?

There is an added complexity to bleeding rads on a combi system (well
more exactly a sealed system - and most combis are of this type), in
that as you draw air out of the system the pressure falls. Hence you may
need to top up as you have done after. If doing lots of rads and working
alone this can be a bit tedious since you keep having to go back to the
filling loop to top up to maintain the pressure that expels the air.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
FionaS wrote:

ps one of the links given said not to bleed radiators if you have a

Was that a link to one of "our" docs or off site somewhere? Its nonsense
obviously.

Sorry, that was in my link, the link I posted was really aimed at people in
council accommodation, where they would come out and sort it out, as it
would then involve the "complex task" of topping it up afterwards....
....But as you can see, topping up the system doesn't involve any witchcraft,
it is quite easy!

Sorry for the confusion!

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toby wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
FionaS wrote:

ps one of the links given said not to bleed radiators if you have a

Was that a link to one of "our" docs or off site somewhere? Its
nonsense obviously.

Sorry, that was in my link, the link I posted was really aimed at people
in council accommodation, where they would come out and sort it out, as
it would then involve the "complex task" of topping it up afterwards....

Ah, ok just read it. I see why they say what they say - although they
seem to be assuming that only combis use sealed systems. Perhaps that
that is true for their housing stock.

--
Cheers,

John.