Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plumbers Mate! Thanks folks on uk.d-i-y

On my last visit to England I bought lots of plumbing associated stuff
(not pipes or fittings as the sizes are different). As a beginner to
plumbing I came back armed with lots of stuff. B&Q were selling tubs of
"plumbers mate". I had absolutely no idea what it was used for but
bought some anyway because I'd heard the stuff mentioned on this forum!

Anyway. Today came time to fit the new toilet. However, since taking out
the old one the Mrs had laid tiles in the bathroom. This meant the
toilet was now too high to fit the existing soil pipe. Plumbers mate to
the rescue - I cut a bit off the new sleeve and pushed that in between
the toilet and soil pipe and packed it out with plumbers mate. Job looks
like a gud'un Thank you folks!

However, I've still not found a use for the basin wrench I bought. It
looks useful for something though. I didn't seem to need it when
installing the new wash basin yesterday.

--
David in Normandy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David in Normandy wrote:
On my last visit to England I bought lots of plumbing associated stuff
(not pipes or fittings as the sizes are different). As a beginner to
plumbing I came back armed with lots of stuff. B&Q were selling tubs
of "plumbers mate

Plumbers Mait actually. I've always thought that an excellent play on
words.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" writes:

David in Normandy wrote:
On my last visit to England I bought lots of plumbing associated stuff
(not pipes or fittings as the sizes are different). As a beginner to
plumbing I came back armed with lots of stuff. B&Q were selling tubs
of "plumbers mate

Plumbers Mait actually. I've always thought that an excellent play on
words.

I don't get it. Why is using a pre 17C spelling so good? I'd
always taken it as simply a matter of changing it so that it
could be a trademark.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Fairbairn wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" writes:

David in Normandy wrote:
On my last visit to England I bought lots of plumbing associated
stuff (not pipes or fittings as the sizes are different). As a
beginner to plumbing I came back armed with lots of stuff. B&Q were
selling tubs of "plumbers mate

Plumbers Mait actually. I've always thought that an excellent play
on words.

I don't get it. Why is using a pre 17C spelling so good? I'd
always taken it as simply a matter of changing it so that it
could be a trademark.

As in helping two surfaces to 'mait' or join together, the play on words
being 'mate' or assistant.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 May, 09:42, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Jon Fairbairn wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" writes:

David in Normandy wrote:
On my last visit to England I bought lots of plumbing associated
stuff (not pipes or fittings as the sizes are different). As a
beginner to plumbing I came back armed with lots of stuff. B&Q were
selling tubs of "plumbers mate

Plumbers Mait actually. *I've always thought that an excellent play
on words.

I don't get it. Why is using a pre 17C spelling so good? I'd
always taken it as simply a matter of changing it so that it
could be a trademark.

As in helping two surfaces to 'mait' or join together, the play on words
being 'mate' or assistant.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

That as far as I can find is a load of cobblers. No book or on line
dictionary shows that. Are you pulling the proverbial or have some
justification for MAIT.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Jon Fairbairn wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" writes:

David in Normandy wrote:
On my last visit to England I bought lots of plumbing associated
stuff (not pipes or fittings as the sizes are different). As a
beginner to plumbing I came back armed with lots of stuff. B&Q
were selling tubs of "plumbers mate

Plumbers Mait actually. I've always thought that an excellent play
on words.

I don't get it. Why is using a pre 17C spelling so good? I'd
always taken it as simply a matter of changing it so that it
could be a trademark.

As in helping two surfaces to 'mait' or join together, the play on
words being 'mate' or assistant.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

That as far as I can find is a load of cobblers. No book or on line
dictionary shows that. Are you pulling the proverbial or have some
justification for MAIT.

Now you mention it, I can't find anything online about it either. I've
always 'known' the word mait to mean join together, couldn't tell you why.
Must have imagined it.

There is/was a pub Croydon way called The Plumbers Mait, dunno where that
came from.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" writes:

Jon Fairbairn wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" writes:

David in Normandy wrote:
On my last visit to England I bought lots of plumbing associated
stuff (not pipes or fittings as the sizes are different). As a
beginner to plumbing I came back armed with lots of stuff. B&Q were
selling tubs of "plumbers mate

Plumbers Mait actually. I've always thought that an excellent play
on words.

I don't get it. Why is using a pre 17C spelling so good? I'd
always taken it as simply a matter of changing it so that it
could be a trademark.

As in helping two surfaces to 'mait' or join together, the play on words
being 'mate' or assistant.

You mean, the play on words is exactly the same as if it
were spelled "Plumber's mate"?

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jon Fairbairn
saying something like:

As in helping two surfaces to 'mait' or join together, the play on words
being 'mate' or assistant.

You mean, the play on words is exactly the same as if it
were spelled "Plumber's mate"?

Sure it's not "Plumber's Moat"? An ex-plumber MP with a country house,
perhaps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Jon Fairbairn wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" writes:

David in Normandy wrote:
On my last visit to England I bought lots of plumbing associated
stuff (not pipes or fittings as the sizes are different). As a
beginner to plumbing I came back armed with lots of stuff. B&Q were
selling tubs of "plumbers mate

Plumbers Mait actually. I've always thought that an excellent play
on words.

I don't get it. Why is using a pre 17C spelling so good? I'd
always taken it as simply a matter of changing it so that it
could be a trademark.

As in helping two surfaces to 'mait' or join together, the play on words
being 'mate' or assistant.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Maybe

http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect...g_of_Mait.html

is more useful than

http://www.horror-playground.com/pre...mbers-mate.jpg

when a job needs doing.

Adam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
David in Normandy wrote:
On my last visit to England I bought lots of plumbing associated stuff
(not pipes or fittings as the sizes are different). As a beginner to
plumbing I came back armed with lots of stuff. B&Q were selling tubs
of "plumbers mate

Plumbers Mait actually. I've always thought that an excellent play on
words.

Seems like good stuff anyway. Now if I could only find something to put
between the bottom of a wash basin (on the ceramic) and the rubber seal
thingy that is supposed to make a watertight seal. Damn thing drips
slightly when the sink is emptying. Any suggestions?

--
David in Normandy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Seems like good stuff anyway. Now if I could only find something to put
between the bottom of a wash basin (on the ceramic) and the rubber seal
thingy that is supposed to make a watertight seal. Damn thing drips
slightly when the sink is emptying. Any suggestions?

Undo, apply silicone, re-do :-}

(need to do our kitchen sink)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:
Seems like good stuff anyway. Now if I could only find something to put
between the bottom of a wash basin (on the ceramic) and the rubber seal
thingy that is supposed to make a watertight seal. Damn thing drips
slightly when the sink is emptying. Any suggestions?

Undo, apply silicone, re-do :-}

(need to do our kitchen sink)

I used a smear of silicone sealant when I did the job, but I think the
joint got rotated very slightly while getting the sink / pipework into
place - this may have broken the seal.

I'd have thought that some sort of water repelling / none setting grease
would be better for this job than silicone sealant. It would be more
forgiving of minor movements. Does such a thing exist?

The DIY stores here in France have lots of mysterious silicone based
stuff in small tubes that are hideously expensive. Maybe one of them is
what I'm suggesting? Trouble is, not only is the writing on them in
French, its also too damn small to read anyway.

--
David in Normandy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David in Normandy wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
[...]

You can certainly get silicone grease (kind of like vaseline, but
doesn't attack natural rubber). It's quite expensive in the plumbing
sheds, but you can get it cheap on eBay.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David in Normandy wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:
Seems like good stuff anyway. Now if I could only find something to put
between the bottom of a wash basin (on the ceramic) and the rubber seal
thingy that is supposed to make a watertight seal. Damn thing drips
slightly when the sink is emptying. Any suggestions?

Undo, apply silicone, re-do :-}

(need to do our kitchen sink)

I used a smear of silicone sealant when I did the job, but I think the
joint got rotated very slightly while getting the sink / pipework into
place - this may have broken the seal.

I'd have thought that some sort of water repelling / none setting grease
would be better for this job than silicone sealant. It would be more
forgiving of minor movements. Does such a thing exist?

yes, its called plumbers mait.

Personally I cant see much point in the stuff, silicone's better every
time.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David in Normandy wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
David in Normandy wrote:
On my last visit to England I bought lots of plumbing associated
stuff (not pipes or fittings as the sizes are different). As a
beginner to plumbing I came back armed with lots of stuff. B&Q were
selling tubs of "plumbers mate

Plumbers Mait actually. I've always thought that an excellent play
on words.

Seems like good stuff anyway. Now if I could only find something to
put between the bottom of a wash basin (on the ceramic) and the
rubber seal thingy that is supposed to make a watertight seal. Damn
thing drips slightly when the sink is emptying. Any suggestions?

Did you not stock up on LS-X as well :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Did you not stock up on LS-X as well :-)

What is LS-X? I've not heard of that one.

--
David in Normandy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:
Did you not stock up on LS-X as well :-)

What is LS-X? I've not heard of that one.

It's a silicone sealer specially designed for plumbing use. Expensive -
but works very well where other sealers fail.

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:
Seems like good stuff anyway. Now if I could only find something to put
between the bottom of a wash basin (on the ceramic) and the rubber seal
thingy that is supposed to make a watertight seal. Damn thing drips
slightly when the sink is emptying. Any suggestions?

You normally put a bed of Plumbers Mait on the top of the basin before
inserting the waste.

--
*Frankly, scallop, I don't give a clam

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Plumbers Mate needed - leaking overflow angelic88 Home Repair 1 November 9th 06 04:56 PM
Plumbers' mate needed angelic88 Home Repair 1 November 9th 06 04:12 PM
Where would you look for a plumber's mate? David Wright UK diy 14 October 10th 06 02:16 PM
ROUTER TABLE-MATE J T Woodworking 2 August 19th 06 10:11 PM
Plumbers mate. How to Apply Steven Campbell UK diy 11 September 15th 05 07:44 PM