Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fence Posts and perpendicularity

't landlord has given the go ahead to spend some of his (not) hard earned
dosh for me to replace a section of really decrepit old fence.

Going to put 4 9ft concrete posts in for 3 6ft x 6ft panels sitting on
concrete gravel boards using postfix in the holes.

Question is, is it better to put the gravels in-between the posts to give a
good start for vertical and then support the free sides
or
Just use the gravels to give a proper distance between and then remove
before supporting all round as they set.

I'll be using me level (natch) and I want to get this spot on so I can
arrange for further enhancement to the property at his expense when he sees
I made a good job.
Thus far he's shelled out for double glazing, new back door and a few other
simple enhancements that I have installed and is happy enough to pay out if
I do the work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:
[...]

There is only one way to install a post and panel fence correctly and that
is to start with your first post (obviously) and place it in the hole
without concrete, apply the gravel board and the timber panel getting them
level etc and the posts upright, and only then concrete the first post in.
Put the second post up to gravel and wooden panels *tightly* and insert the
panels for the next section before concreting in post number 2.

At the end of all posts and panel installation, put a half brick and
concrete under the panels where they meet the posts, otherwise the earth
will sink and take the panels with it.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Fence Posts [email protected] Home Repair 9 April 21st 08 01:03 AM
Concrete fence posts Martin UK diy 18 July 10th 07 12:15 AM
SQ: Removing T Fence Posts Bill Stock Home Repair 6 June 24th 07 06:37 PM
Fence posts Percival P. Cassidy Home Repair 9 April 3rd 07 09:14 PM
Extending Fence Posts ianjones Home Repair 12 October 13th 06 08:40 PM