Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default underfloor heating

How does it work. Tops Tiles have a demo on their counter to show how
warm it is, but how does it warm a whole tiled floor?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave coughed up some electrons that declared:

How does it work. Tops Tiles have a demo on their counter to show how
warm it is, but how does it warm a whole tiled floor?

Dave

Could you be more specific Dave?

You put a source of heat (electric or warm water) under the tiles and they
get warm (about 30C +/- some)

That heats the room, at, typically in the region of 100W per m2

HTH

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Dave coughed up some electrons that declared:

How does it work. Tops Tiles have a demo on their counter to show how
warm it is, but how does it warm a whole tiled floor?

Dave

Could you be more specific Dave?

You put a source of heat (electric or warm water) under the tiles and they
get warm (about 30C +/- some)

That heats the room, at, typically in the region of 100W per m2

Yes, I see what you mean.

What I was getting at was that they are obviously electrically heated
But how is the electricity distibuted between the tiles? Local
conections would be out. Is there a wire that goes under every tile?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
Dave coughed up some electrons that declared:

How does it work. Tops Tiles have a demo on their counter to show how
warm it is, but how does it warm a whole tiled floor?

Dave

Could you be more specific Dave?

You put a source of heat (electric or warm water) under the tiles and
they get warm (about 30C +/- some)

That heats the room, at, typically in the region of 100W per m2

Yes, I see what you mean.

What I was getting at was that they are obviously electrically heated
But how is the electricity distibuted between the tiles? Local
conections would be out. Is there a wire that goes under every tile?

Dave

Essentially yes - it's a heating mat (support mesh usually) with a long
heating wire circuit (or groups of circuits in sections). These come out as
tails near the edge and are terminated back to house wiring in a
manufacturer dependant way.

There are extra IEE regs pertaining to electric underfloor heating in
bathrooms.

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave" wrote in message
Tim S wrote:
Dave coughed up some electrons that declared:

How does it work. Tops Tiles have a demo on their counter to show how
warm it is, but how does it warm a whole tiled floor?

Dave

Could you be more specific Dave?

You put a source of heat (electric or warm water) under the tiles and
they
get warm (about 30C +/- some)

That heats the room, at, typically in the region of 100W per m2

Yes, I see what you mean.

What I was getting at was that they are obviously electrically heated But
how is the electricity distibuted between the tiles? Local conections
would be out. Is there a wire that goes under every tile?

Dave

As I understand it, it's resistive cable or mats that go under the sub-floor
Your single tile sized demo was misleading.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. coughed up some electrons that declared:

As I understand it, it's resistive cable or mats that go under the
sub-floor Your single tile sized demo was misleading.

I believe some can go in the tile adhesive layer. Wouldn't fancy it in a
bathroom though, if mains driven...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure daughter or son would be
asking me quite soon, as it looks like the way to go for the young and rich.

There are extra IEE regs pertaining to electric underfloor heating in
bathrooms.

I can understand that under this nanny governm...

Many thanks again

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Tim S wrote:
Dave coughed up some electrons that declared:

How does it work. Tops Tiles have a demo on their counter to show how
warm it is, but how does it warm a whole tiled floor?

Dave
Could you be more specific Dave?

You put a source of heat (electric or warm water) under the tiles and
they
get warm (about 30C +/- some)

That heats the room, at, typically in the region of 100W per m2

Yes, I see what you mean.

What I was getting at was that they are obviously electrically heated But
how is the electricity distibuted between the tiles? Local conections
would be out. Is there a wire that goes under every tile?

Dave

As I understand it, it's resistive cable or mats that go under the sub-floor
Your single tile sized demo was misleading.

It was, wasn't it?

How do you go on, when the mat goes tits up and needs to be replaced. Is
it a case of all the tiles have to come up?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
Dave wrote:

What I was getting at was that they are obviously electrically heated
But how is the electricity distibuted between the tiles? Local
conections would be out. Is there a wire that goes under every tile?

http://www.screwfix.com/sfd/i/cat/29/p2738629_x.jpg

Shows how it works. Resistance wire in the tile adhesive in that instance.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2009 00:36:50 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Graham. coughed up some electrons that declared:

As I understand it, it's resistive cable or mats that go under the
sub-floor Your single tile sized demo was misleading.

I believe some can go in the tile adhesive layer. Wouldn't fancy it in a
bathroom though, if mains driven...

The cable is completely screened inside an earth wire. The earth
connections are made at both ends The stuff is more like resistive coax.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
How does it work. Tops Tiles have a demo on their counter to show how
warm it is, but how does it warm a whole tiled floor?

Dave

Thermal conduction
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Graham. wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
Tim S wrote:
[...]

same way as you go when the rest of the wiring in your house goes tits up.

Rip the house to pieces and rewire.

Its barely warm, is the wire, in this case.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Dave wrote:
How does it work. Tops Tiles have a demo on their counter to show how
warm it is, but how does it warm a whole tiled floor?

Dave

Thermal conduction

It's important, of course, when fitting it to a solid ground-floor room, to
have adequate insulation *under* the heat source - otherwise you end up
heating up the soil below rather than the room above!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
How does it work. Tops Tiles have a demo on their counter to show how
warm it is, but how does it warm a whole tiled floor?

Dave

Thermal conduction

It's important, of course, when fitting it to a solid ground-floor room, to
have adequate insulation *under* the heat source - otherwise you end up
heating up the soil below

Or the room below..

rather than the room above!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote:
It's important, of course, when fitting it to a solid ground-floor room, to
have adequate insulation *under* the heat source - otherwise you end up
heating up the soil below rather than the room above!

We've been having an interesting debate with a groundwork contractor
about whether in this circumstance it's better to have the insulation
underneath the 150mm concrete slab or over it. Obviously having the
insulation underneath increases the amount of thermal mass in the UFH
system: so it warms up more slowly but is more stable. But it means
you're never going to be able to get to the insulation again, which is a
bit of a nightmare if it starts degrading.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ed Sirett wrote:

The cable is completely screened inside an earth wire. The earth
connections are made at both ends

Most UFH cables are now 2-core, with overall screen, and are fed from
one end only. This avoids large area current loops and thus keeps down
the magnetic 'hum' field. 5 mm diameter cables are for in-screed
applications and 3 mm for under-tile heating.

On larger installations the capacitive earth leakage can get quite high,
so the high-integrity earthing requirements may apply and supply should
be via a dedicated RCBO.

The stuff is more like resistive coax.

More like resistive screened twin...

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are extra IEE regs pertaining to electric underfloor heating in
bathrooms.

Any chance of a quick overview of the additional reqs ?