Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Camera Repair - screen replacement

This I'm afraid is a bit of self congratulations, but done with the
aim of reassuring anyone thinking of doing the same that it is
possible.

The LCD on my compact Panasonic got cracked somehow despite being in a
case. So it was a case of replace or look at a self repair. Ebay was
offering replacement screens at £20 + p&p from HK which seemed
reasonable, and another seller had a disc of the service manual, which
I got first to see if it seemed reasonably straightforward.

The screen came in today having been ordered last weekend which was a
good start, complete with a very small cross head screwdriver and a
plastic tool that I never found a use for. There were no instructions
with the screen.

The only complication was that it was just the basic screen and the
service manual didn't assist in dismantling and reassembling the
screen case. Another confusion was that the new screen had one ribbon
lead but the screen assembly had two - the small one I discovered is
for the screen backlight and goes into the screen case only.

Took 2 hours.

Tools - several pairs of specs to get close enough to see (basic
reading glasses are great in that if you pile them on top of one
another the power just goes up !), a jewellers eyepiece and a fine
jewellers screwdriver for prying bits apart. And a bit of confidence
in taking things apart and putting them back together - fortunately
there weren't any pingfukits - and no bits left over either.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
[...]

I find the multiple reading glasses trick is much better than
a bench magnifier. SWMBO tells me it's not an attractive look
though.
It might help future Googlers if you mentiond the model number.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 May, 09:38, "Graham." wrote:
"robgraham" wrote in message

[...]

Ahh, but it's only she who is looking at you, not yourself, so it''s
fully allowed.

The camera is a Panasonic FX01. It wouldn't surprise me if the
construction of all small cameras isn't much the same. The point of
the posting was really to say that the Ebay route works for the
component and the instructions, and that the task is quite
straightforward DIY, even if a little daunting.

Rob