Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,uk.d-i-y

Default Non-standard high voltage supplies, was How essential dustshutters on wall socket?

On 5 May, 19:44, Stephen Furley wrote:
On 5/5/09 00:28, in article , "Graham."

wrote:

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Graham.
scribeth thus

We are now on 230V everywhere in Europe - in theory - but the
permitted tolerance of +/-6% covers both 220V and 240V so everyone is
happy.

What the heck is that green thing? Looks like a storage heater to me.

6.6 kV substation across the road.

What in the UK?...

Yes Tony, a suburb 3 miles North of Manchester. Is it very unusual?

It's certainly an unusual transformer, if that's what it is, I've
never seen one like it .

Parts of Croydon are still supplied at 6.6 kV; I think the College I work at
is, though the new transformer which was installed in the substation about
a year ago, but is still waiting for its supply to be connected up, is 11
kV. I believe 6.6 kV was quite common at one time, though now regarded as
obsolete. There's a substation between the College and the railway line
which I think supplies our one, and that certainly puts out 6.6 kV, and I
think it may be fed at 22 kV; another uncommon Voltage in this Country now,
though quite a number of substations on the London Underground use it.

20 kV is used quite a bit in the North-East, especially for overhead
lines, it was
established by the old 'Newcastle Electricity Supply Co.' before
nationalisation,
as is 66 kV for parts of the regional grid there, they had the
highest voltage in
use before the original 132 kV National Grid.

Leicester, where I live now, still has a lot of 6.6 kV, with huge two-
storey
substations in the older parts of the city. Anybody know much about
these?