Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default screws with variable pitch?

JOOI is there a name for these?

I found a few included with a new door lock/latch/handle set the other day
- coarse pitch for the first 3/8" and then a much finer pitch toward the
head end.

Never seen ones like that before, and I'm surprised they don't just
chew up the wood when driven in and result in a weaker fixing (I assume
the idea is that the coarser ends make them easier to initially dig
into the wood for folk who don't like drilling pilot holes?)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules" wrote in message
news

JOOI is there a name for these?

I found a few included with a new door lock/latch/handle set the other day
- coarse pitch for the first 3/8" and then a much finer pitch toward the
head end.

Never seen ones like that before, and I'm surprised they don't just
chew up the wood when driven in and result in a weaker fixing (I assume
the idea is that the coarser ends make them easier to initially dig
into the wood for folk who don't like drilling pilot holes?)

cheers

Jules

A traditional gimlet has variable pitch,
https://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/ite...2/445/sn/29517
but the fine pitch is at the pointy end to make starting the hole easier.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%