Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiling tap

Hi All,

I was thinking of buying one of those boiling water taps to replace my
kettle in the kitchen. But on further investigation, it seems that
maybe it is not such a good idea. The "problems" seem to be around...
1. they store and keep hot a fair amount of water so the energy
efficiency of only heating the water you need seems to go out of the
window.
2. since they are continually heating the water, I have heard, this
makes the tea/ drinks taste funny.
3. they are relatively expensive and take up a lot of room below the
worksurface.

At the time, they seemed like a great idea but now I'm not so sure.

Does anyone have one of these things? What do you think?

As usual, all help appreciated.

thanks
Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I can't comment on your points 2 & 3 - but when I checked out
Quooker's energy figures, the standby power level seemed low enough
that provided you have a few tea breaks a day (and/or use boiling
water for cooking) - that you would be ahead overall.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 May, 08:18, "The Medway Handyman"

What about one of these;http://www.dixons.co.uk/product.php?...amp_id=froogle

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

The Tefal Quick Cup looked almost perfect (would have been nice if you
could plumb it in) but having a quick search on reviews, it seems like
it delivers water at around 85 degress which isn't very good for tea.
Does anyone have one?

The brevil seems good - how long does it take to boil a full kettle
and say a couple of mugs full?

thanks
Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hi All,

I was thinking of buying one of those boiling water taps to replace my
kettle in the kitchen. But on further investigation, it seems that
maybe it is not such a good idea. The "problems" seem to be around...
1. they store and keep hot a fair amount of water so the energy
efficiency of only heating the water you need seems to go out of the
window.

Yes - only useful for high usage areas

2. since they are continually heating the water, I have heard, this
makes the tea/ drinks taste funny.

They don't make tea as the water isn't boiling, they just irritate the tea
leaves (and the drinker) and the standing water tastes sh*t and you can
taste it. Fine for coffee as it doesn't/shouldn't use boiling water and
tastes stronger.

3. they are relatively expensive and take up a lot of room below the
worksurface.

They also scale up like you wouldn't believe.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 1 May 2009 22:02:39 UTC, "John"
wrote:

these seem good at my place of work - but over sink.,

http://www.zipheaters.co.uk/index.asp

We have one of the HydroTaps at work. It's not over-sing - it has a mesh
drain let into the worktop, with a pipe to a nearby drain.

Delivers hot and chilled water - I can't vouch for making tea as I don't
dribk the stuff, but I like really hot coffee and it's fine for that
(once I've purged the pipe from the heater...)

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

these seem good at my place of work - but over sink.,

http://www.zipheaters.co.uk/index.asp

We have one of the HydroTaps at work. It's not over-sing - it has a mesh
drain let into the worktop, with a pipe to a nearby drain.

Delivers hot and chilled water - I can't vouch for making tea as I don't
dribk the stuff, but I like really hot coffee and it's fine for that
(once I've purged the pipe from the heater...)

Is it instant coffee you mean, or do you use the hot tap for filter or
cafetiere brewing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

these seem good at my place of work - but over sink.,

http://www.zipheaters.co.uk/index.asp

We have one of the HydroTaps at work. It's not over-sing - it has a mesh
drain let into the worktop, with a pipe to a nearby drain.

Delivers hot and chilled water - I can't vouch for making tea as I don't
dribk the stuff, but I like really hot coffee and it's fine for that
(once I've purged the pipe from the heater...)

Is it instant coffee you mean, or do you use the hot tap for filter or
cafetiere brewing?

Sorry, I use it for instamt, but others (fussy people too!) use it for
cafetieres.
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

these seem good at my place of work - but over sink.,

http://www.zipheaters.co.uk/index.asp
We have one of the HydroTaps at work. It's not over-sing - it has a mesh
drain let into the worktop, with a pipe to a nearby drain.

Delivers hot and chilled water - I can't vouch for making tea as I don't
dribk the stuff, but I like really hot coffee and it's fine for that
(once I've purged the pipe from the heater...)

Is it instant coffee you mean, or do you use the hot tap for filter or
cafetiere brewing?

Sorry, I use it for instamt, but others (fussy people too!) use it for
cafetieres.

My experience of these echoes the antis. Its a good water heater, but
boil it doesn't do.

And although not a tea drinker, it wasnt up to decent proper coffee
making. Instant was acceptable.

It may be that some models are better than others, but its a warning to
the OP to at least find out what the unit is specced to and be cautious.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

these seem good at my place of work - but over sink.,

http://www.zipheaters.co.uk/index.asp

We have one of the HydroTaps at work. It's not over-sing - it has a mesh
drain let into the worktop, with a pipe to a nearby drain.

Delivers hot and chilled water - I can't vouch for making tea as I don't
dribk the stuff, but I like really hot coffee and it's fine for that
(once I've purged the pipe from the heater...)

Maybe very hot drinks are not such a good idea?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7967823.stm

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

these seem good at my place of work - but over sink.,

http://www.zipheaters.co.uk/index.asp

We have one of the HydroTaps at work. It's not over-sing - it has a mesh
drain let into the worktop, with a pipe to a nearby drain.

Delivers hot and chilled water - I can't vouch for making tea as I don't
dribk the stuff, but I like really hot coffee and it's fine for that
(once I've purged the pipe from the heater...)

Maybe very hot drinks are not such a good idea?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7967823.stm

Yes, I saw that one. But...(a) I drink coffee [although I've cut down
from the 11 pints a day I used to drink] and (b) I like it hot because
by the time I've got it back to my office it's already cooled down a
bit...!

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

wrote:

these seem good at my place of work - but over sink.,

http://www.zipheaters.co.uk/index.asp
We have one of the HydroTaps at work. It's not over-sing - it has a mesh
drain let into the worktop, with a pipe to a nearby drain.

Delivers hot and chilled water - I can't vouch for making tea as I don't
dribk the stuff, but I like really hot coffee and it's fine for that
(once I've purged the pipe from the heater...)

Maybe very hot drinks are not such a good idea?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7967823.stm

Yes, I saw that one. But...(a) I drink coffee [although I've cut down
from the 11 pints a day I used to drink] and (b) I like it hot because
by the time I've got it back to my office it's already cooled down a
bit...!

I was unsure when I read the article whether it actually applied to any
hot drink - sort of assumed it would.

And, yes, the walk back bit is an excellent reason for serving very hot.
(So long and elfin saftey doesn't stop you... :-) )

--
Rod

onset.

boiling again william kossack Woodturning 8 April 16th 06 08:00 PM
boiling instructions william kossack Woodturning 1 January 10th 06 04:10 PM
thinking of boiling william kossack Woodturning 1 January 1st 06 09:11 PM
Boiling? Maxprop Woodturning 30 June 20th 04 11:00 PM
Boiling boiler Lazy Beetle UK diy 2 October 28th 03 11:30 AM