Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Questions about new digital micrometer

I have just bought myself a new digital micrometer, it's this one here
from pvrdirect:-

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productin...s&catref=52426

I'm not sure if it's supposed to have instructions with it, but it
doesn't, and the link to instructions from the above web page is broken.

The last time I used a micrometer was at school (a *very* long time
ago!). I know the basics and have made the measurements I bought it
for OK but there are a couple of things I can't work out.

What's the little lever above and left of the digital read out
for? Ah, I think I've worked it out, it clamps the reading so one
can measure something inaccessible, clamp the reading and then
withdraw the micrometer to actually see the reading.

I can't quite work out the action of the ratchet knob. It's OK
for getting correct/reasonable pressure on the measured object,
rotate with the knob on the end and just wind until it clicks.
However I think it usually does something for mechanical zeroing
as well but all I can make it do is the ratcet action and, if I
hold the main knurled ring and unscrew the end one it just
unscrews, it doesn't seem to allow mechanical zeroing.

There is a strange little 'hooky spanner' sort of tool comes with
the micrometer. It latches into holes on the large round bit and
the small round bit (just inside the knurling). Presumably it
allows on to rotate/unscrew these but why would one want to? Is
*this* for machanical zeroing?

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 10:44:16 UTC, wrote:

I have just bought myself a new digital micrometer, it's this one here
from pvrdirect:-

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productin...s&catref=52426

I'm not sure if it's supposed to have instructions with it, but it
doesn't, and the link to instructions from the above web page is broken.

The last time I used a micrometer was at school (a *very* long time
ago!). I know the basics and have made the measurements I bought it
for OK but there are a couple of things I can't work out.

What's the little lever above and left of the digital read out
for? Ah, I think I've worked it out, it clamps the reading so one
can measure something inaccessible, clamp the reading and then
withdraw the micrometer to actually see the reading.

Yes.

I can't quite work out the action of the ratchet knob. It's OK
for getting correct/reasonable pressure on the measured object,
rotate with the knob on the end and just wind until it clicks.

Pretty normal on a micrometer.

However I think it usually does something for mechanical zeroing
as well but all I can make it do is the ratcet action and, if I
hold the main knurled ring and unscrew the end one it just
unscrews, it doesn't seem to allow mechanical zeroing.

Why would one need it? Just press the '0' button...

There is a strange little 'hooky spanner' sort of tool comes with
the micrometer. It latches into holes on the large round bit and
the small round bit (just inside the knurling). Presumably it
allows on to rotate/unscrew these but why would one want to? Is
*this* for machanical zeroing?

Dismantle for cleaning?
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
writes
I have just bought myself a new digital micrometer, it's this one here
from pvrdirect:-

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productin...tier1=Draper+T
ools&tier2=EngineerS+Precision+Tools&tier3=Precis ion+Tools&tier4=Dial+Ga
uges&catref=52426

I'm not sure if it's supposed to have instructions with it, but it
doesn't, and the link to instructions from the above web page is broken.

The last time I used a micrometer was at school (a *very* long time
ago!). I know the basics and have made the measurements I bought it
for OK but there are a couple of things I can't work out.

What's the little lever above and left of the digital read out
for? Ah, I think I've worked it out,

Play wirth it for another 30 seconds and you'll prolly work the rest out
as well

If you can't, buy a steel rule instead

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I have just bought myself a new digital micrometer, it's this one here
from pvrdirect:-

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productin...s&catref=52426

I'm not sure if it's supposed to have instructions with it, but it
doesn't, and the link to instructions from the above web page is broken.

The last time I used a micrometer was at school (a *very* long time
ago!). I know the basics and have made the measurements I bought it
for OK but there are a couple of things I can't work out.

What's the little lever above and left of the digital read out
for? Ah, I think I've worked it out, it clamps the reading so one
can measure something inaccessible, clamp the reading and then
withdraw the micrometer to actually see the reading.

It also allows you to use the micrometer as a go or no go gauge - set the
size you want, lock it and pass an object between the anvils.

I can't quite work out the action of the ratchet knob. It's OK
for getting correct/reasonable pressure on the measured object,
rotate with the knob on the end and just wind until it clicks.
However I think it usually does something for mechanical zeroing
as well but all I can make it do is the ratcet action and, if I
hold the main knurled ring and unscrew the end one it just
unscrews, it doesn't seem to allow mechanical zeroing.

With electronic micrometers, you normally just use the zero button. That
also allows you to measure variations from a set size - zero with the anvils
shut, open to the required size or to a sample piece, zero again and measure
variations from that size.

There is a strange little 'hooky spanner' sort of tool comes with
the micrometer. It latches into holes on the large round bit and
the small round bit (just inside the knurling). Presumably it
allows on to rotate/unscrew these but why would one want to? Is
*this* for machanical zeroing?

It sounds like the adjusting tool, but I don't recall when I last needed to
adjust the zero on a well looked after micrometer.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:

Dismantle for cleaning?

Change the batteries?

No, there's a 'coin slot' screw for that which I'd already used to put
the battery in.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar" cpb@ insert my surname here.me.uk wrote:

wrote in message
I have just bought myself a new digital micrometer, it's this one here
from pvrdirect:-

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productin...s&catref=52426

I'm not sure if it's supposed to have instructions with it, but it
doesn't, and the link to instructions from the above web page is broken.

The last time I used a micrometer was at school (a *very* long time
ago!). I know the basics and have made the measurements I bought it
for OK but there are a couple of things I can't work out.

What's the little lever above and left of the digital read out
for? Ah, I think I've worked it out, it clamps the reading so one
can measure something inaccessible, clamp the reading and then
withdraw the micrometer to actually see the reading.

It also allows you to use the micrometer as a go or no go gauge - set the
size you want, lock it and pass an object between the anvils.

That's a good point too, thanks.

I can't quite work out the action of the ratchet knob. It's OK
for getting correct/reasonable pressure on the measured object,
rotate with the knob on the end and just wind until it clicks.
However I think it usually does something for mechanical zeroing
as well but all I can make it do is the ratcet action and, if I
hold the main knurled ring and unscrew the end one it just
unscrews, it doesn't seem to allow mechanical zeroing.

With electronic micrometers, you normally just use the zero button. That
also allows you to measure variations from a set size - zero with the anvils
shut, open to the required size or to a sample piece, zero again and measure
variations from that size.

OK, I'll just forget about the 'old fashioned' markings then.

There is a strange little 'hooky spanner' sort of tool comes with
the micrometer. It latches into holes on the large round bit and
the small round bit (just inside the knurling). Presumably it
allows on to rotate/unscrew these but why would one want to? Is
*this* for machanical zeroing?

It sounds like the adjusting tool, but I don't recall when I last needed to
adjust the zero on a well looked after micrometer.

OK, as someone else said I'll probably work things out for myself by
playing with it but I thought I'd ask in case I'd missed something
really obvious.

Thanks all.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

On my conventional M&W micrometers the hook fits in the sleeve which has the
reference line - it is used to turn this sleeve to bring the reference line
to match the zero on the barrel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Described here?
http://www.mgexperience.net/archive/...rometer/688943

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I have just bought myself a new digital micrometer, it's this one here
from pvrdirect:-

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productin...s&catref=52426

Is it just me or does that site look uncannily like the Axminster site
at first glance.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
wrote:
I have just bought myself a new digital micrometer, it's this one here
from pvrdirect:-

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productin...s&catref=52426

Is it just me or does that site look uncannily like the Axminster site
at first glance.

It's never struck me that way but you could be right, maybe they're using
some similar softwre.

I use PVR Direct occasionally, they are quite good on price for fairly
'minority' types of things I find.

--
Chris Green

Stupid Micrometer Weatherlawyer UK diy 1 January 7th 07 07:39 PM
Suggestions on Micrometer, Calipers?? JWho Metalworking 79 November 20th 05 03:29 AM
Depth Micrometer - used for what? Doug Kanter Home Repair 15 June 30th 05 02:43 PM
Micrometer adjustment for Unifence Eric Anderson Woodworking 14 January 14th 05 03:29 PM
How To Build A Micrometer Dave Martindale Metalworking 14 September 18th 03 04:54 AM