Posted to uk.d-i-y
AA AA is offline

Default How to secure a granite island worktop

Hi all,
I am creating a simple kitchen island with two 600mm base units + back
and side panels and a rectangular granite worktop to plonk on top
(with a few cm overhang on all edges). What is the normal way to
secure the top? I am guessing some silicone sealant squeezed along
the top edges of the base units and the top lowered onto it would be
sufficient to grip it and given the weight of the granite it won't be
going anywhere? Or do I need epoxy glue? Or something totally
different?
Any suggestions most welcome.
Thanks,
AA.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AA wrote:
Hi all,
I am creating a simple kitchen island with two 600mm base units + back
and side panels and a rectangular granite worktop to plonk on top
(with a few cm overhang on all edges). What is the normal way to
secure the top? I am guessing some silicone sealant squeezed along
the top edges of the base units and the top lowered onto it would be
sufficient to grip it and given the weight of the granite it won't be
going anywhere? Or do I need epoxy glue? Or something totally
different?
Any suggestions most welcome.
Thanks,
AA.

Car body filler?
I'll get my coat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 16:31:37 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

AA wrote:
Hi all,
I am creating a simple kitchen island with two 600mm base units + back
and side panels and a rectangular granite worktop to plonk on top
(with a few cm overhang on all edges). What is the normal way to
secure the top? I am guessing some silicone sealant squeezed along
the top edges of the base units and the top lowered onto it would be
sufficient to grip it and given the weight of the granite it won't be
going anywhere? Or do I need epoxy glue? Or something totally
different?
Any suggestions most welcome.
Thanks,
AA.

Car body filler?
I'll get my coat

Angle grinder (cut notch for tops of units)
R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd go for silicone
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 05:42:42 -0700 (PDT), AA wrote:

I am guessing some silicone sealant squeezed along the top edges of the
base units and the top lowered onto it would be sufficient to grip it
and given the weight of the granite it won't be going anywhere?

I suspect that will be a right barsteward should you ever wnat to move or
remove the worktop for any reason. As you say the granite will be very
heavy and you don't want silly shreds of silicone trying to pull it in odd
directions when you come to lift it. The weight will ensure you don't have
a decent thickness to cut through either.

I think I'd use the normal little metal worktop fixing brackets and drill
some holes for small plugs in the granite.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 05:42:42 -0700 (PDT), AA wrote:

I am guessing some silicone sealant squeezed along the top edges of the
base units and the top lowered onto it would be sufficient to grip it
and given the weight of the granite it won't be going anywhere?

I suspect that will be a right barsteward should you ever wnat to move or
remove the worktop for any reason. As you say the granite will be very
heavy and you don't want silly shreds of silicone trying to pull it in odd
directions when you come to lift it. The weight will ensure you don't have
a decent thickness to cut through either.

I think I'd use the normal little metal worktop fixing brackets and drill
some holes for small plugs in the granite.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I had a kitchen top done in granite in Spain and the chaps who came to fit
it used silicone sealant exclusively to fix it down on cabinets and to stick
3 inch upstands at the back and sides. Admittedly it was not an island
bench, however you could silicone small blocks of wood or if you have some
small pieces of granite to the underside such that they would locate within
the cabinet(s) and thereby stopping it sliding about. That way you could
lift it at any time without having to remove shreds of silicone.
Good luck
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Apr, 09:38, "Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote:
[...]

Don- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for all the ideas (except maybe the angle grinder one. I had
been thinking of fixing batons to the underside of the worktop inside
the cabinet frame so it is good to hear a similar suggestion. I am
thinking that is the way to go. The thought of drilling holes as per
Dave's suggestion, however small, scares me so I'll give that one a
miss!