Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cordless SDS drills ?

Hi,

I have been thinking for a while of buying a SDS drill to put my own
dish up (maybe a few family members as well0 and have a few other DIY
projects.

I was just wondering if I go the cordless route which would be handy
when up a ladder drilling the sky mounting bracket holes what kind of
power will I need to do this ... over 18 volts ? (I would be drilling
quite hard brick I guess) no expert here

Also any recommendations would be very good.

Been wanting one for a while now and thought its a good time to get
one. Me and the standard hammer action drill have been strggling for
many years now lol.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sky_geek wrote:
Hi,

I have been thinking for a while of buying a SDS drill to put my own
dish up (maybe a few family members as well0 and have a few other DIY
projects.

I was just wondering if I go the cordless route which would be handy
when up a ladder drilling the sky mounting bracket holes what kind of
power will I need to do this ... over 18 volts ? (I would be drilling
quite hard brick I guess) no expert here

Also any recommendations would be very good.

Been wanting one for a while now and thought its a good time to get
one. Me and the standard hammer action drill have been strggling for
many years now lol.

Problem there is, a decent one will cost £250+. Whatever you do, don't buy
a 'cheap' cordless SDS.

A mains SDS will do the job, put up with the extension cables - you won't be
using it every day.

Top quality Makita, Bosch or DeWalt mains SDS are around the £90 mark.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Apr, 23:30, Sky_geek wrote:
Hi,

I have been thinking for a while of buying a SDS drill to put my own
dish up (maybe a few family members as well0 and have a few other DIY
projects.

I was just wondering if I go the cordless route which would be handy
when up a ladder drilling the sky mounting bracket holes what kind of
power will I need to do this ... over 18 volts ? (I would be drilling
quite hard brick I guess) no expert here

Also any recommendations would be very good.

Been wanting one for a while now and thought its a good time to get
one. Me and the standard hammer action drill have been strggling for
many years now lol.

Thanks

If you go for cordless, it will be quite a bit heavier than a corded.
The added weight brings its own problems when up a ladder, even if you
aren't wrestling with a cord.. Also, even when you are standing on
firm ground, the heavier cordless will be more tiring to use. Unless
you have a pressing need to do lots of work away from power sockets,
I'd go for a good quality light-weight corded SDS.

dan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Sky_geek wrote:
I have been thinking for a while of buying a SDS drill to put my own
dish up (maybe a few family members as well0 and have a few other DIY
projects.

I was just wondering if I go the cordless route which would be handy
when up a ladder drilling the sky mounting bracket holes what kind of
power will I need to do this ... over 18 volts ? (I would be drilling
quite hard brick I guess) no expert here

A good cordless SDS will cost a great deal of money. If you can't get
mains to that stack, get a man in. Will be cheaper.

Also any recommendations would be very good.

Been wanting one for a while now and thought its a good time to get
one. Me and the standard hammer action drill have been strggling for
many years now lol.

A good SDS drill does more than just holes - it can be used for chasing
into walls, or breaking up concrete etc. And the weight of the device then
becomes very important.

I'd not bother with a cordless SDS unless you really can justify the high
cost by the use it gets.

Better to get a good mains lightweight SDS - something like this -

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30228/...mer-Drill-240V

which has enough grunt for most things without weighing a ton. Which
you'll appreciate if chasing into walls.

And an ordinary non hammer cordless drill of your choice.

To put things into perspective, an expensive cordless SDS drill will be 24
volts with a battery capacity of approx 2 amp hours. In 'watt hours'
that's 48. The mains drill I'm recommending takes 650 watts max. So a
battery of that capacity would run it for all of 5 minutes at full load.
Of course there's more to it than that - but it should give you food for
thought.

--
*You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes

Better to get a good mains lightweight SDS - something like this -

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30228/.../DeWalt-D25003
K-GB-650W-2kg-SDS-Plus-Hammer-Drill-240V

I'm particularly interested in this subject, as we now live in NE
Scotland, in a house built 140 years ago, construction being granite
walls about two feet thick. My trusty old B&D hammer drill doesn't
scratch the surface. I'm unlikely to need to drill right through the
wall, but do want to drill holes for shelves, brackets for hanging
baskets etc. Usage will be occasional at best - certainly not heavy.

Do I really need a drill costing 150, or, for now and again use, will
something like this be sufficient?

URL:http://www.screwfix.com/prods/62040/...ills/Ryobi-ERH
-750V-240V-3kg-SDS-Plus-Hammer-Drill#

Both come with a few accessories, but one is two thirds the cost of the
other. Any comments appreciated.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:
[...]

No you dont need a professional tool
which will work 8 hours a day for a year,
a cheapo from aldi or lidls will do for you, wont it?

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 16, 8:30*pm, Graeme wrote:

Do I really need a drill costing 150, or, for now and again use, will
something like this be sufficient?

URL:http://www.screwfix.com/prods/62040/...ills/Ryobi-ERH
-750V-240V-3kg-SDS-Plus-Hammer-Drill#

Both come with a few accessories, but one is two thirds the cost of the
other. *Any comments appreciated.

If your local Wickes still has one, you could get a £130 pro model for
fifty quid:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Corded/700W-...ll/invt/195540

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
[...]

I'm sure it will be fine. There's not that much difference in drilling
performance between makes. I only mentioned the DeWalt because it's the
closest to the one I've had for ages which has delighted in use.

If you're sure all you're going to use it for is drilling holes a cheaper
one even than that will probably be ok. It's use for chiselling that shows
up the wheat from the chaff.

--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:

Both come with a few accessories, but one is two thirds the cost of the
other. Any comments appreciated.

I'm sure it will be fine. There's not that much difference in drilling
performance between makes. I only mentioned the DeWalt because it's the
closest to the one I've had for ages which has delighted in use.

If you're sure all you're going to use it for is drilling holes a cheaper
one even than that will probably be ok. It's use for chiselling that shows
up the wheat from the chaff.

Very many thanks for that.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme wrote:
[...]

First of all, The Ryobi is a mid range brand wheras the DeWalt is a full
spec professional machine, a bit OTT for DIY use. The Ryobi is a very good
piece of kit though, very nice to use - you wouldn't regret buying one.

SDS drills come as 2 function or 3 function; (1) drill only/hammer & drill
and (2) drill only/hammer & drill/hammer only. The latter function being
for chiseling or light breaking.

If you don't need the hammer only function you might consider
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/23674/...s-Hammer-Drill
which is the 2 function version & £20 less.

Although, for another £9 you could have the blue Bosch 2 function
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/76088/...SDS-Plus-Drill
which is a top brand & will probably outlive you with DIY use.

Whatever you buy, the first time you see that drill bit effortlessly
disapear into the wall, it will put a smile on your face :-) All the
neighbours will want to borrow it!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "The Medway Handyman"
saying something like:

All the
neighbours will want to borrow it!

And don't let them. Tell them to **** off and buy their own. Nothing
****s up a tool like letting useless muppets use it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes

Whatever you buy, the first time you see that drill bit effortlessly
disapear into the wall, it will put a smile on your face :-) All the
neighbours will want to borrow it!

Many thanks for all the advice. There was a guy here a while ago,
putting up a satellite dish (I don't do heights). He used an SDS drill
to make holes in the granite wall - I couldn't believe how easy it
looked!
--
Graeme

Cordless Drills Arthur 51 UK diy 1 March 23rd 09 06:25 PM
Cordless Drills Graham Dean UK diy 8 August 22nd 05 09:08 AM
Cordless Drills Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 1 February 5th 05 07:05 PM
Cordless drills Alan Woodworking 33 November 21st 03 07:12 PM
CORDLESS DRILLS WARRENRN1 Woodworking 17 August 9th 03 01:34 PM