Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pressure washer question

I have a Karcher KB502 pressure washer. It's kept in the garage. Last year
when I tried to use it in the spring, water poured out near the trigger. I
discovered that the equivalent spare part (gun) for the Macallister washer
(B&Q's own brand) fitted OK so bought one. Now this week when I switched
on, another flood of water from the trigger. I had a look and discovered
there are FIVE different sizes of O ring inside the gun. Bought some O rings
in B&Q today but after changing them all- no luck, still leaking. Any
suggestions?

Regards

Syke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syke wrote:
I have a Karcher KB502 pressure washer. It's kept in the garage. Last year
when I tried to use it in the spring, water poured out near the trigger. I
discovered that the equivalent spare part (gun) for the Macallister washer
(B&Q's own brand) fitted OK so bought one. Now this week when I switched
on, another flood of water from the trigger. I had a look and discovered
there are FIVE different sizes of O ring inside the gun. Bought some O rings
in B&Q today but after changing them all- no luck, still leaking. Any
suggestions?

Regards

Syke

Try and learn from your previous mistakes! Don't keep the next one in
the garage over winter. Pop it under the bed instead!

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Syke" writes:
I have a Karcher KB502 pressure washer. It's kept in the garage. Last year
when I tried to use it in the spring, water poured out near the trigger. I
discovered that the equivalent spare part (gun) for the Macallister washer
(B&Q's own brand) fitted OK so bought one. Now this week when I switched
on, another flood of water from the trigger. I had a look and discovered
there are FIVE different sizes of O ring inside the gun. Bought some O rings
in B&Q today but after changing them all- no luck, still leaking. Any
suggestions?

Sounds like some residual water left in there might have frozen,
if your garage can get that cold. I imagine it could do much worse
if the same thing happened inside the pressure washer.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syke wrote:
I have a Karcher KB502 pressure washer. It's kept in the garage.
Last year when I tried to use it in the spring, water poured out near
the trigger.

Exacly where? Could you post a picky with an arrow pointing at the leak?

I discovered that the equivalent spare part (gun) for
the Macallister washer (B&Q's own brand) fitted OK so bought one.

Hmmm. Karcher is the worlds number one, by a HUGE (and I mean HUGE) margin.
Everthing is made to fit them, not the small time bit player B&Q (taken on a
world wide view).

Now this week when I switched on, another flood of water from the
trigger. I had a look and discovered there are FIVE different sizes
of O ring inside the gun. Bought some O rings in B&Q today but after
changing them all- no luck, still leaking. Any suggestions?

Yes, forget B&Q, they don't know their base from their apex when it comes to
pressure washers. Google for Karcher spares, but you have to identify
exactly where the leak is.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
Syke wrote:
[...]

stealing the thread slightly, my father has today broken his karcher 220H,
the gun and hose are a one piece assembly. Took it apart and found that he
has broken a small piece of plastic off the end of the pipe, it is the part
that the attachments seal to, just behind the spring. I cannot find a
replacement part on any drawings etc, so is it a lost cause? seems silly as
it is a seperate component.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
Syke wrote:
I have a Karcher KB502 pressure washer. It's kept in the garage. Last
year when I tried to use it in the spring, water poured out near the
trigger. I discovered that the equivalent spare part (gun) for the
Macallister washer (B&Q's own brand) fitted OK so bought one. Now this
week when I switched on, another flood of water from the trigger. I had
a look and discovered there are FIVE different sizes of O ring inside the
gun. Bought some O rings in B&Q today but after changing them all- no
luck, still leaking. Any suggestions?

Regards

Syke

Try and learn from your previous mistakes! Don't keep the next one in the
garage over winter. Pop it under the bed instead!

Bob

I always have problems finding homes for things which shouldn't be kept in
the garage over the winter, I'll see what my partner thinks to the idea of
keeping the pressure washer under the bed :-)

Seriously though it helps a lot if you drain the hose before storage. Do
this by squeezing the trigger and keeping it squeezed while you go along the
length of the hose lifting it to create a moving high spot if you see what I
mean. You'll know when you're doing it right because you'll see the water
draining out as you go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syke wrote:
[...]

Its quite common for manufacturers not to offer a big range of spares for
low end machines. The cost of stocking them is too high compared to the
machine cost. Pressure washers have a pretty large number of individual
parts, compared to say power tools.

The real low end cheapies have no spares availability, if they break down
under warranty its cheaper for the manufacturer to give you a new one.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Syke wrote:
[...]

Thanks for taking the time everybody. The funny thing is, the Macallister
gun has what look to be Karcher part numbers but if it's a copy then that
would explain it (probably). I think I'll buy a new Macallister gun
(£21!!!) and look after it a bit better, as advised, although I'll not be
keeping it under the bed, I keep other things there!

Regards

Syke

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman