Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bitumen Sheet roofing

Because of previous mentions here, I've been looking at Onduline roofing
sheets.
Onduline don't seem to be answering the phone today, and searches on
B&Q, Wickes etc. websites find nothing.

I notice Wickes do Bitumen Corrugated Sheet and have found that one of
the local stores has some for me to go and look at tomorrow. Is this the
same as Onduline?

My 18' x 12' shed has old felt on a straight T&G roof. Can I just screw
or nail these sheets over it or do I have to develop some skill?

I'm not very good on roofs.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Apr, 18:05, Bill wrote:
Because of previous mentions here, I've been looking at Onduline roofing
sheets.
Onduline don't seem to be answering the phone today, and searches on
B&Q, Wickes etc. websites find nothing.

I notice Wickes do Bitumen Corrugated Sheet and have found that one of
the local stores has some for me to go and look at tomorrow. Is this the
same as Onduline?

My 18' x 12' shed has old felt on a straight T&G roof. Can I just screw
or nail these sheets over it or do I have to develop some skill?

I'm not very good on roofs.
--
Bill

Bill - I can't answer the questions on the material, except that the
big B & Q's round Edinburgh stock it - at least did so 6 months ago!

You'll need nails which are special in that they have a plastic cap on
them. If the T & G is in good condition, I can't see any reason why
you can't lay the sheet on top of the existing felt. You're only
problem may be hitting a felt nail when you nail on the sheets.

It really is less requiring skill than laying felt. You'll get
instructions off the Onduline website (I think ?!) which tell you how
much overlap, etc.

Mine is a lean to shed about the same size and took me an afternoon
with an assistant.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob G wrote:
On 9 Apr, 18:05, Bill wrote:

[...]

Use screws with a soft plastic cap, which forms a watertight seal
against the onduline.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
writes
Rob G wrote:
On 9 Apr, 18:05, Bill wrote:

[...]

I've done the tour of sheds. B & Q sell Coroline, which looks the same.
They only have 4 sheets and no ridge pieces, but there is a 15% off
offer.

Wickes offering is Onduline and they have plenty and also have ridge
pieces, so I'll be trying to get them to price match.

Having read the brochures, there are only 2 things I'm not totally sure
about. First is how to terminate the ridge at each end to form a seal up
against the wooden sloping gable end fascia boards.
And then there's the question of the damsons. Traditionally, I climb on
the sloping roof to pick these. Am I right to assume this would be out
of the question on this corrugated roofing on a solid roof?
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 18:32:59 +0100, Bill wrote:

I've done the tour of sheds. B & Q sell Coroline, which looks the same.
They only have 4 sheets and no ridge pieces, but there is a 15% off
offer.

Wickes offering is Onduline and they have plenty and also have ridge
pieces, so I'll be trying to get them to price match.

I looked at both and bought Onduline. It seemed better quality and less
flimsy.
The nails are expensive and quite a lot are needed.

Having read the brochures, there are only 2 things I'm not totally sure
about. First is how to terminate the ridge at each end to form a seal up
against the wooden sloping gable end fascia boards.
And then there's the question of the damsons. Traditionally, I climb on
the sloping roof to pick these. Am I right to assume this would be out
of the question on this corrugated roofing on a solid roof?

Fixing guide from he

http://www.southernsheeting.co.uk/pd...ng%20Guide.pdf

and another version:

http://www.ondulinebuildingproducts....%20Leaflet.pdf
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message
,
writes
Rob G wrote:
On 9 Apr, 18:05, Bill wrote:

[...]

I dont really follow. As long as the ondu overlaps the gable end wall,
all is well. You dont need a seal.

And then there's the question of the damsons. Traditionally, I climb on
the sloping roof to pick these. Am I right to assume this would be out
of the question on this corrugated roofing on a solid roof?

Cant say I've ever climbed on it. If you find its not upto it, you can
always bung a board up there and stand on that.

NT

Bitumen roof felt alternative to bitumen DPC for deck? Adam[_3_] UK diy 7 September 22nd 08 09:09 PM
Prefab steel building roofing sheet installation [email protected] UK diy 4 August 30th 08 10:14 AM
WICKES BITUMEN Arthur UK diy 1 March 3rd 07 01:55 PM
cheap sheet roofing VisionSet UK diy 3 September 8th 06 01:15 AM
Roofing bitumen as a sub floor damp proof membrane ? . UK diy 5 February 21st 06 06:08 PM