Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Default Roofing bitumen as a sub floor damp proof membrane ?

I need a concise answer for this one, preferably before the mrs
leaves the vicinity of B&Q / Wickes in about 30 mins !

can I use roofing bitumen as a continuation of a pitchmastic
DPM which I've been forced to expose in order to build a
step between a kitchen and a utility room, 300mm below
the level of the kitchen floor ?

does bitumen dry hard to fix to with tile adhesive ??

the utility room and kitchen both have plastic DPM under
concrete and both are finished in pitchmastic. it's just the
bit between the two that I need to proof.

2 courses deep by 2 - 3 foot long.

thanks for any tips.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

.. wrote:
I need a concise answer for this one, preferably before the mrs
leaves the vicinity of B&Q / Wickes in about 30 mins !

can I use roofing bitumen as a continuation of a pitchmastic
DPM which I've been forced to expose in order to build a
step between a kitchen and a utility room, 300mm below
the level of the kitchen floor ?

What is roofing bitumen? Lap adhesive? Hot melt?

does bitumen dry hard to fix to with tile adhesive ??

Not very, no.

the utility room and kitchen both have plastic DPM under
concrete and both are finished in pitchmastic.

What - a "bitumen" layer on top of the concrete?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Chris Bacon wrote:
. wrote:
I need a concise answer for this one, preferably before the mrs
leaves the vicinity of B&Q / Wickes in about 30 mins !

can I use roofing bitumen as a continuation of a pitchmastic
DPM which I've been forced to expose in order to build a
step between a kitchen and a utility room, 300mm below
the level of the kitchen floor ?

What is roofing bitumen? Lap adhesive? Hot melt?

comes in a 5l paint like tin. apply with a brush.

does bitumen dry hard to fix to with tile adhesive ??

Not very, no.

didn't think so but I wasn't certain.

the utility room and kitchen both have plastic DPM under
concrete and both are finished in pitchmastic.

What - a "bitumen" layer on top of the concrete?

yup, called pitchmastic. applied with a trowel, highly exothermic,
filled the house with smoke and the smell of fresh tar, sets rock
hard and was passed by BCO.

I was also thinking of simply using waterproof floor tile adhesive
reasoning that if it's waterproof from the top it's waterproof from
beneath. never breached a DPM so I'm unsure as to how to proceed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Chris Bacon wrote:
. wrote:
I need a concise answer for this one, preferably before the mrs
leaves the vicinity of B&Q / Wickes in about 30 mins !

can I use roofing bitumen as a continuation of a pitchmastic
DPM which I've been forced to expose in order to build a
step between a kitchen and a utility room, 300mm below
the level of the kitchen floor ?

What is roofing bitumen? Lap adhesive? Hot melt?

does bitumen dry hard to fix to with tile adhesive ??

Not very, no.

the utility room and kitchen both have plastic DPM under
concrete and both are finished in pitchmastic.

What - a "bitumen" layer on top of the concrete?

now called mastic asphalt - the contractor I had in many years ago
called it pitchmastic and got a subbie in to do the job.

http://www.masticasphaltcouncil.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

.. wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
. wrote:

I need a concise answer for this one, preferably before the mrs
leaves the vicinity of B&Q / Wickes in about 30 mins !

can I use roofing bitumen as a continuation of a pitchmastic
DPM which I've been forced to expose in order to build a
step between a kitchen and a utility room, 300mm below
the level of the kitchen floor ?

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use a bitumen emulsion
for a DPM, it's very good for that - but you'd need to protect
it somehow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
.

Chris Bacon wrote:
. wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
. wrote:

I need a concise answer for this one, preferably before the mrs
leaves the vicinity of B&Q / Wickes in about 30 mins !

can I use roofing bitumen as a continuation of a pitchmastic
DPM which I've been forced to expose in order to build a
step between a kitchen and a utility room, 300mm below
the level of the kitchen floor ?

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't use a bitumen emulsion
for a DPM, it's very good for that - but you'd need to protect
it somehow.

thanks for that. I've decided to just fix the aereated concrete blocks
with waterproof floor tile adhesive. it should do the job ok and if it
isn't, by the time anyone finds out, the house will be someone elses.