Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Laptop PSU cord repair

The cord on the laptop's PSU plug (the small, hollow, cylindrical shape
that plugs into the side of the laptop) is fraying were it enters the
plug. It's possible to manoeuvre the cord to get the laptop to charge
but it's going to fall apart soon.

New PSUs are available from Hong Kong on ebay for a fiver but past
experience of cheap goods from HK hasn't been good and I'm concerned
that the adaptor brick might damage the laptop with, for example, poor
voltage regulation.

Is it possible to repair the plug? If I cut the cable, are spares
available to solder/screw on?

TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
The cord on the laptop's PSU plug (the small, hollow, cylindrical shape
that plugs into the side of the laptop) is fraying were it enters the
plug. It's possible to manoeuvre the cord to get the laptop to charge but
it's going to fall apart soon.

New PSUs are available from Hong Kong on ebay for a fiver but past
experience of cheap goods from HK hasn't been good and I'm concerned that
the adaptor brick might damage the laptop with, for example, poor voltage
regulation.

Is it possible to repair the plug? If I cut the cable, are spares
available to solder/screw on?

They come in quite a range of sizes but are pretty easy to find. Maplins
does quite a wide range:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43084

All solder types

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Norman Billingham
writes

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
The cord on the laptop's PSU plug (the small, hollow, cylindrical shape
that plugs into the side of the laptop) is fraying were it enters the
plug. It's possible to manoeuvre the cord to get the laptop to charge but
it's going to fall apart soon.

New PSUs are available from Hong Kong on ebay for a fiver but past
experience of cheap goods from HK hasn't been good and I'm concerned that
the adaptor brick might damage the laptop with, for example, poor voltage
regulation.

Is it possible to repair the plug? If I cut the cable, are spares
available to solder/screw on?

They come in quite a range of sizes but are pretty easy to find. Maplins
does quite a wide range:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43084

All solder types

Hmm, Maplin were unable to find anything to match my old IBM laptop and
I'm very doubtful about the plugs used in some Dell models.
With the IBM, I ended up cutting away the moulded outside of the plug
and peeling it all off, then cutting back the cable to beyond the break
and resoldering. Then I think I used hot-melt glue to encapsulate the
repair. It looked awful, but worked.

I asked somewhere, but no-one seemed to know a source for any decent
semi-flexible reasonably cheap encapsulation material.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 14:11:20 +0100, Bill wrote:

I asked somewhere, but no-one seemed to know a source for any decent
semi-flexible reasonably cheap encapsulation material.

Self amalgamating tape. Can be built up around the plug and tailed off
with less layers along the cable to give progressive strain relief.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 9, 1:13*pm, "Norman Billingham" norman.at.tumulus.org.uk
wrote:
"F" news@nowhere wrote in message

The cord on the laptop's PSU plug (the small, hollow, cylindrical shape
that plugs into the side of the laptop) is fraying were it enters the
plug. It's possible to manoeuvre the cord to get the laptop to charge but
it's going to fall apart soon.

New PSUs are available from Hong Kong on ebay for a fiver but past
experience of cheap goods from HK hasn't been good and I'm concerned that
the adaptor brick might damage the laptop with, for example, poor voltage
regulation.

Is it possible to repair the plug? If I cut the cable, are spares
available to solder/screw on?

They come in quite a range of sizes but are pretty easy to find. *Maplins
does quite a wide range:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43084

All solder types

No good if you have a recent, e.g., IBM laptop, nor, I suspect, a
number of other manufacturers. Not everyone uses ordinary "DC"
connectors these days.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
The cord on the laptop's PSU plug (the small, hollow, cylindrical shape
that plugs into the side of the laptop) is fraying were it enters the
plug. It's possible to manoeuvre the cord to get the laptop to charge but
it's going to fall apart soon.

New PSUs are available from Hong Kong on ebay for a fiver but past
experience of cheap goods from HK hasn't been good and I'm concerned that
the adaptor brick might damage the laptop with, for example, poor voltage
regulation.

Is it possible to repair the plug? If I cut the cable, are spares
available to solder/screw on?

TIA

How about buying the £5 replacement, and just using the cable off it?

Mat

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

New PSUs are available from Hong Kong on ebay for a fiver but past
experience of cheap goods from HK hasn't been good and I'm concerned
that the adaptor brick might damage the laptop with, for example, poor
voltage regulation.

I've usually found that the plugs fail on the cheap ones from China

Is it possible to repair the plug? If I cut the cable, are spares
available to solder/screw on?

I've never found a supplier for the plugs on my Acer laptops (DC power plug
5.5 x 1.7).

Al.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
Is it possible to repair the plug? If I cut the cable, are spares
available to solder/screw on?

Which laptop make / model?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Norman Billingham
writes
They come in quite a range of sizes but are pretty easy to find. Maplins
does quite a wide range:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43084

All solder types

Be aware, the ones sold by Maplin usually aren't rated for the sort of
current a laptop can use (although they will work), RS do some high
current ones but they cost a bit more and it's a limited range, not all
sizes are available.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Al
writes
I've usually found that the plugs fail on the cheap ones from China

I've also found some very 'odd' things when cheap rip off PSUs are used,
like the battery not charging properly or the laptop refusing to power
on, one hung every time a USB device was plugged in whilst the rip-off
adapter was in use!

The first question asked whenever a client had a charging or other power
related problem was if they had the original PSU.

--
Clint Sharp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Apr, 13:05, F news@nowhere wrote:
The cord on the laptop's PSU plug (the small, hollow, cylindrical shape
that plugs into the side of the laptop) is fraying were it enters the
plug. It's possible to manoeuvre the cord to get the laptop to charge
but it's going to fall apart soon.

What laptop is it?

Got a pic of the connector?

I've got a couple of spare PSU's, the cable at least may be of use to
you.

Steven

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 13:13:01 +0100, "Norman Billingham"
norman.at.tumulus.org.uk wrote:

They come in quite a range of sizes but are pretty easy to find. Maplins
does quite a wide range:

A number of laptops, Dell in particular use what looks like a normal
DC power plug of that type but are in fact three pole connectors, the
third wire used for measuring battery temperature.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:
A number of laptops, Dell in particular use what looks like a normal
DC power plug of that type but are in fact three pole connectors, the
third wire used for measuring battery temperature.

As far as I know, and experience of folks who've been through the mill
with trying to use 3rd party supplies, the third wire is there to aid
the laptop in determining if the adaptor is a genuine (and judged safe)
manufacturer approved adaptor. There is an ID chip built into the
adaptor; Battery charging is refused in the laptop if the adaptor hasn't
been recognised (or the third pole connector in the middle of the
connector has fractured).

If battery temperature monitoring has been added, I'd suggest that's a
very recent addition to combat the uproar about restrictive practices on
accessory supply.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2009 15:13 Mat C wrote:

How about buying the £5 replacement, and just using the cable off it?

Thanks, had thought of that but the cable in question is fixed into the
adaptor brick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2009 20:49 Clint Sharp wrote:

I've usually found that the plugs fail on the cheap ones from China

I've also found some very 'odd' things when cheap rip off PSUs are used,
like the battery not charging properly or the laptop refusing to power
on, one hung every time a USB device was plugged in whilst the rip-off
adapter was in use!

Thanks, that pretty much confirms my worries about the HK sourced
replacements.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2009 18:20 Adrian C wrote:

Which laptop make / model?

Toshiba Equiium.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 22:55:18 +0100, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 09/04/2009 15:13 Mat C wrote:

How about buying the £5 replacement, and just using the cable off it?

Thanks, had thought of that but the cable in question is fixed into the
adaptor brick.

Just chop it off and join the relevant leads together with solder and
heat-shrink.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2009 09:01 wrote:

What laptop is it?

Model name: Toshiba Equium M70-173
Model number: PSM77E-002002AV

Got a pic of the connector?

http://www.spinningweb.f9.co.uk/PSU/Laptop-PSU.jpg

If it looks a little odd that's because I used the 'lump' on the cable
to prop the brick up!

I've got a couple of spare PSU's, the cable at least may be of use to
you.

Thanks. I'll open up the plug and get back to you.