Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default reversible drywall gap filling

I've just screwed a lot of plasterboard to the kitchen ceiling
and want to fill in the little gaps to stop draughts
so the heat doesnt escape through the floorboards above.

But some time in the future I want to take some of them down to rewire it,
and I'd like to reuse the boards as I've cut them to fit.

If I use plaster cement for the gaps
it'd set very hard and crumblify the boards when i take them down.

Is there a very soft caulk that I can reversibly fill the gaps with?

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , george (dicegeorge)
writes
I've just screwed a lot of plasterboard to the kitchen ceiling
and want to fill in the little gaps to stop draughts
so the heat doesnt escape through the floorboards above.

But some time in the future I want to take some of them down to rewire it,
and I'd like to reuse the boards as I've cut them to fit.

If I use plaster cement for the gaps
it'd set very hard and crumblify the boards when i take them down.

Is there a very soft caulk that I can reversibly fill the gaps with?

Caulk contains fillers so will have some hardness when set.

If you use a paintable sealant (without fillers) you can cut through it
more easily before taking down your boards.

I've used B&Q All Purpose Sealant which works for this kind of thing but
is overpriced.

Silicone is another option but be aware that it is not over paintable
and will reduce adhesion if over-skimming the re-used plasterboard.

--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
[...]

thanks
expensive! £6!

B&Q All Purpose Silicone Sealant 113029 White 310ml EAN: 0000003347225
Only £5.98

decoraters caulk is £1 in the pound shop so I'll use that!

plaster cement I can get by the sackload, but it sets far too hard.

thanks

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

I've used B&Q All Purpose Sealant which works for this kind of thing but
is overpriced.

Silicone is another option but be aware that it is not over paintable
and will reduce adhesion if over-skimming the re-used plasterboard.

thanks
expensive! £6!

B&Q All Purpose Silicone Sealant 113029 White 310ml EAN: 0000003347225
Only £5.98

That's outrageous, I'm sure it was about 4quid when I last got some and
I thought that was steep.

decoraters caulk is £1 in the pound shop so I'll use that!

I'm sure that'll do, with a sharp stanley knife to release it.
--
fred