Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Supermarket Trolleys

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:40:01 -0000, mark wrote:

I once had a conversation with a truck driver - I was talking about
lorries - after a while he asked "What is a lorry?"

Similarly, if you told him you lived in a semi, he might well
have got the wrong impression.

And don't ask for a coke in and "ordinary street side bar".

or ask for fags?

I don't partake of that nasty filthy habit so had no need to ask, I do get
thirsty though. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:25:36 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:
"Boo-ey" for buoy (UK pronunciation like "boy") is an interesting one.
Following the American way, how on earth do they pronounce the allied words
"buoyant" and "buoyancy" ?

Those two don't change, which is the weird thing (i.e. they're pronounced
the same in both countries).

I think I read somewhere once that the US pronunciation of buoy matches
the modern French term (more or less), whilst it's still "boy" in the rest
of the world.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:25:36 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:
"Boo-ey" for buoy (UK pronunciation like "boy") is an interesting one.
Following the American way, how on earth do they pronounce the allied words
"buoyant" and "buoyancy" ?

Those two don't change, which is the weird thing (i.e. they're pronounced
the same in both countries).

Pronunciation can vary from one part of the US to another, and by
educational level.

I think I read somewhere once that the US pronunciation of buoy matches
the modern French term (more or less), whilst it's still "boy" in the rest
of the world.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:38:15 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

Jules wrote:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:25:36 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:
"Boo-ey" for buoy (UK pronunciation like "boy") is an interesting one.
Following the American way, how on earth do they pronounce the allied words
"buoyant" and "buoyancy" ?

Those two don't change, which is the weird thing (i.e. they're pronounced
the same in both countries).

Pronunciation can vary from one part of the US to another, and by
educational level.

That is true - as per my post a few messages back, I'd always thought of
words like 'vase' and 'route' as having distinct UK and US versions, but
actually I've encountered both in widespread use in the US (we're
reasonably close to the Canadian border here though, which might account
for some of it).

I've only ever come across 'booey' this side of the pond, though.

cheers

J.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

"Boo-ey" for buoy (UK pronunciation like "boy") is an interesting one.
Following the American way, how on earth do they pronounce the allied
words "buoyant" and "buoyancy" ?

Boo-yunt and boo-yuncee.

Is that a known, or a guess ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Boo-ey" for buoy (UK pronunciation like "boy") is an interesting one.
Following the American way, how on earth do they pronounce the allied
words "buoyant" and "buoyancy" ?

Boo-yunt and boo-yuncee.

Is that a known, or a guess ?

It's what I hear when I'm in the NYC metro area.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Boo-ey" for buoy (UK pronunciation like "boy") is an interesting one.
Following the American way, how on earth do they pronounce the allied
words "buoyant" and "buoyancy" ?

Boo-yunt and boo-yuncee.

Is that a known, or a guess ?

It's what I hear when I'm in the NYC metro area.

Interesting - you can look it up on Google. The (US) Merriam Webster
dictionary says "boo-eee" for buoy (with "boy" as an alternative) but
prefers "boy-ancy" for buoyancy (although it offers "boo-yancy" as an
alternative).

Well, not that interesting....

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Boo-ey" for buoy (UK pronunciation like "boy") is an interesting one.
Following the American way, how on earth do they pronounce the allied
words "buoyant" and "buoyancy" ?

Boo-yunt and boo-yuncee.

Is that a known, or a guess ?

It's what I hear when I'm in the NYC metro area.

Interesting - you can look it up on Google. The (US) Merriam Webster
dictionary says "boo-eee" for buoy (with "boy" as an alternative) but
prefers "boy-ancy" for buoyancy (although it offers "boo-yancy" as an
alternative).

Well, not that interesting....

I have a copy of microsoft bookshelf (1994) which gives an example of
how a word is pronounced in Americanese if you click on it and have
sound turned on.

Buoy is pronounced booee
Buoyancy is pronounced boyansee
But buoyed is aparently pronounced booeed
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

Jules wrote:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 17:25:36 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:
"Boo-ey" for buoy (UK pronunciation like "boy") is an interesting one.
Following the American way, how on earth do they pronounce the allied
words
"buoyant" and "buoyancy" ?

Those two don't change, which is the weird thing (i.e. they're
pronounced
the same in both countries).

Pronunciation can vary from one part of the US to another, and by
educational level.

That is true - as per my post a few messages back, I'd always thought of
words like 'vase' and 'route' as having distinct UK and US versions, but
actually I've encountered both in widespread use in the US (we're
reasonably close to the Canadian border here though, which might account
for some of it).

How do they pronounce them in Canada, I've noticed that in some cases
words like about are pronounced in a scottich way 'aboot' the accent seems
to have more in common with Scottish than English. (well th parts that don;t
speak French)

I've only ever come across 'booey' this side of the pond, though.

cheers

I also remember something about the Bowie knife being pronounced boowie,
not sure how David Bowie was pronounced.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 25, 9:41*am, "Roger Mills" wrote:

John *wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

I thought that the ones that I had seen, had the grooves in the
moving walkway, slightly off-parallel, so that when the wheel edges
dropped down into them, they 'locked' in place, as gravity tried to
drag them deeper into the diminishing gap ?

Arfa

The ones I have seen also have a claw / sawtooth type feature.

Slightly OT, but at (I think) Zurich Airport they have got luggage trolleys
which can go up and down proper (step-type) escalators - and remain upright!

Hillards supermarket (then Tesco, not sure of it's still there) in
Huddersfield was built on top of the carpark and had one of these
these 20+ years ago. You put the trolley on the trolley escalator and
walked down the adjacent steps. Can't remember of theer was an
escalator for humans.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

As they say, two nations separated by a common language ... !

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message

news

Jules wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. Mike Myers is Canadian I believe, and does a more than passable
Scottish accent as Shrek. Likewise, James Doohan who played Scotty in Star
Trek was also Canadian. There must be a connection between Canada and
Scotland somewhere in the distant past, although I can't recall having been
taught anything along those lines in Geography lessons, taken back when it
was a 'proper' senior school subject ... :-)

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 01:56:12 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"Alang" wrote in message
.. .

Interesting - you can look it up on Google. The (US) Merriam Webster
dictionary says "boo-eee" for buoy (with "boy" as an alternative) but
prefers "boy-ancy" for buoyancy (although it offers "boo-yancy" as an
alternative).

Well, not that interesting....

I have a copy of microsoft bookshelf (1994) which gives an example of
how a word is pronounced in Americanese if you click on it and have
sound turned on.

Buoy is pronounced booee
Buoyancy is pronounced boyansee
But buoyed is aparently pronounced booeed

As they say, two nations separated by a common language ... !

With the march of global television the english language will evolve
into a hybrid amerenglese. And because it so readily steals from
other languages it looks to become the de facto common world language.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 02:01:05 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"whisky-dave" wrote in message

news

Jules wrote:
[...]

ISTR Myers was raised in Liverpool.

Likewise, James Doohan who played Scotty in Star
Trek was also Canadian. There must be a connection between Canada and
Scotland somewhere in the distant past, although I can't recall having been
taught anything along those lines in Geography lessons, taken back when it
was a 'proper' senior school subject ... :-)

Canada was well settled by jocks. See how many towns are named after
them. Bloody Hamiltons are all over the place for a start

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"whisky-dave" wrote in message

news

Jules wrote:
[...]

Just go and look at any map of Canada

You can't move for Porridge wog names

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Arfa Daily
writes

"Jules" wrote in message
news On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 18:38:15 -0400, S Viemeister wrote:

Jules wrote:
[...]

I guess that accounts for it then. I probably wasn't listening in the lesson
which covered it ... d;~}

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules wrote:
On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 03:23:59 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
"Arfa Daily" writes:
"Matty F" wrote in message
No he's talking about Supermarket Trolleys like the heading says
Translated to "Shopping Carts" for our US cousins ...

Reminds me the first time I saw "No Strollers" at the escalator
entrance to a US shopping mall, which I took to mean the
tramps/druggies wandering around aimlessly should stay outside.

I've seen stroller used in the UK before, too (by Maclaren, I think it
was, who I believe are a UK company) a couple of years ago. I was told
later that 'stroller' was originally a UK term though, then adopted by the
US, then dropped by the UK in favour of pushchair.

Stroller is still used in the UK, but often denotes a light weight fold
up pushchair (sometimes also "umbrella stroller") rather than a more
substantial one.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:

Hmmm. Mike Myers is Canadian I believe, and does a more than passable
Scottish accent as Shrek. Likewise, James Doohan who played Scotty in Star
Trek was also Canadian. There must be a connection between Canada and
Scotland somewhere in the distant past, although I can't recall having
been taught anything along those lines in Geography lessons, taken back
when it
was a 'proper' senior school subject ...

Scotland being connected to Canada is described at
http://www.siliconglen.com/Scotland/1_4.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

Jules wrote:
[...]

I had heardr that Nova Scotia (SP) in Canada was French for New Scotland.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Arfa Daily"
saying something like:

There must be a connection between Canada and
Scotland somewhere in the distant past,

Highland Clearances, when it was realised that ten Teuchters were more
profitably replaced by five sheep.
Just economics. That, and the Colonies needed manpower, plus it got rid
of a troublesome part of the population - sorted.

The people who did it were still ****s, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "whisky-dave"
saying something like:

I had heardr that Nova Scotia (SP) in Canada was French for New Scotland.

****, you're kidding, right?