Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Coax cable

I'm replacing the old coax to my main TV set as there's definately a fault
in it somewhere. So I've decided to use sattelite cable as its a lot less
lossy.

The run is only about 20 metres, so will standard RG6 satelitte cable be
fine for this, or would anyone recommend getting something a bit more heavy
duty like CT100?

Reason I ask is the RG6 (the cheap stuff you get in DIY shops) isn;t as dear
and don;t want to splash out on the heavier duty cable if it can be avoided.

Thanks in advance.

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm replacing the old coax to my main TV set as there's definately a fault
in it somewhere. So I've decided to use sattelite cable as its a lot less
lossy.

The run is only about 20 metres, so will standard RG6 satelitte cable be
fine for this, or would anyone recommend getting something a bit more
heavy duty like CT100?

Reason I ask is the RG6 (the cheap stuff you get in DIY shops) isn;t as
dear and don;t want to splash out on the heavier duty cable if it can be
avoided.

This tells you chapter and verse.

http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/article...ty-hmdi-m.html

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon (Dark Angel) submitted this idea :
I'm replacing the old coax to my main TV set as there's definately a fault in
it somewhere. So I've decided to use sattelite cable as its a lot less lossy.

The cable as sold for satellites is the standard these days for both TV
and Sat frequencies, along with the use of F type connectors.

The run is only about 20 metres, so will standard RG6 satelitte cable be
fine for this, or would anyone recommend getting something a bit more heavy
duty like CT100?

It is not so much heavy duty as lower loss and better screened.

Reason I ask is the RG6 (the cheap stuff you get in DIY shops) isn;t as dear
and don;t want to splash out on the heavier duty cable if it can be avoided.

The RG6 might well work, but has less immunity to impulse noise like
your microwave starting and thermostats switching. This is no more
important due to the change over to digital.

I originally wired an outlet to almost every room in the house with
RG6, before CT100 became available. Last week I replaced the RG6
down-lead to the distribution unit with CT100. As and when, I will
eventually replace all of the RG6 with CT100 simply for its better
immunity.

I don't usually buy from DIY shops - I paid £18 for a full drum of
CT100 from an electrical wholesaler.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message...
I don't usually buy from DIY shops - I paid £18 for a full drum of CT100
from an electrical wholesaler.

Was that a 50m drum or 100m drum?

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon (Dark Angel) explained :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message...
I don't usually buy from DIY shops - I paid £18 for a full drum of CT100
from an electrical wholesaler.

Was that a 50m drum or 100m drum?

[Walks out to workshop in the rain...]

It doesn't say, but my guess would be 100m because I have used about
20m from it and it still looks very full.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message...
It doesn't say, but my guess would be 100m because I have used about 20m
from it and it still looks very full.

Next question, which electrical wholesalers did you aquire it from?

If its a national chain, I'm hoping they've probably got a branch near me.

--
Best Wishes
Simon Taylor

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon (Dark Angel) wrote:

If its a national chain, I'm hoping they've probably got a branch near me.

Try these guys:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ite/index.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon (Dark Angel) was thinking very hard :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message...
It doesn't say, but my guess would be 100m because I have used about 20m
from it and it still looks very full.

Next question, which electrical wholesalers did you aquire it from?

If its a national chain, I'm hoping they've probably got a branch near me.

WF, but I think most of them will keep it in stock.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cod Roe" wrote in message
Simon (Dark Angel) wrote:

If its a national chain, I'm hoping they've probably got a branch near
me.

Try these guys:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ite/index.html

FWIY I use this for both terrestrial and satellite. The cables terminate on
DIY faceplates made using dummy faceplates, F Barrels, and F elbows.

--
Michael Chare

Is my coax cable bad? miamicuse Home Repair 10 April 17th 14 01:44 AM
Cable TV and coax splitters - Hookup splitter to Digital Cable JTT Home Repair 1 August 24th 07 03:15 AM
Coax cable Grumps UK diy 10 June 13th 05 10:44 AM
extending coax cable to cable-modem Rick UK diy 15 February 23rd 05 11:44 AM
For the Cable Guys: Coax cable Splitter Q. Michael Stoic Home Repair 6 January 25th 05 02:28 PM