Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chainsaw Oil Replace after 30 days??

I have recently bought an AL-KO electric chainsaw for
occasional garden use.
The instructions state that if the saw is not used for 30
days then the chain oil should be drained out of the tank
and replaced with motor oil and the saw run until the
motor oil replaces the chain oil in all the channels.
There is a warning that failure to do this will cause
failure of the oil pump. It does not say whether I can
resuse the drained chain oil.

Because I don't always believe these warnings, I failed to
drain the oil after 40 days of non use and the next time I
used the chainsaw the oil pump was inoperative and
leaking.

Fortunately the pump was replaced under warrentee.

But is it usual to have to drain the oil if not used for
30 days? What if I use the saw for a minute or two and
don't use all the old oil in the reservoir - does the
reservoir still then need to be drained?

If I had known of this time-consumming requirement I
probably would not have bought a chainsaw for occasional
use.

DAvy

OT-143 days RB[_2_] Metalworking 1 June 27th 08 10:57 PM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 17 November 9th 05 01:21 AM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 November 6th 05 11:39 PM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 0 November 6th 05 12:39 PM
stihl 021 chainsaw won't start, unless pulled 62 times daily for 6 days bill yohler Home Repair 20 January 30th 04 12:31 AM