Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Roofer's matsic on clothes - OK in washing machine?

Hi everyone,

I am putting asphalt underlay and shingles on a shed,
sealing with non-hardening black mastic. Of course,
I got some on my clothes.

If I put them in the washing machine, will the mastic
wash off harmlessly? Or will something horrible happen?
I am thinking of things like coating the interior of
the machine with mastic, which later attaches
itself to clothes in later washes ...

I would be grateful for your advice.

Thanks,
MasticMan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Mar, 10:33, masticman wrote:
Hi everyone,

I checked my own posting about 10 times for errors, and still
spelled "mastic" wrong! Duh.

MasticMan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

masticman wrote:

On 22 Mar, 10:33, masticman wrote:
Hi everyone,

I checked my own posting about 10 times for errors, and still
spelled "mastic" wrong! Duh.

Perhaps you were confusing it with the Maastricht Treaty?

It happens to me all the time. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

masticman wrote:
I am putting asphalt underlay and shingles on a shed,
sealing with non-hardening black mastic. Of course,
I got some on my clothes.

If I put them in the washing machine, will the mastic
wash off harmlessly? Or will something horrible happen?
I am thinking of things like coating the interior of
the machine with mastic, which later attaches
itself to clothes in later washes ...

I would be grateful for your advice.

The fact it is non-hardening mastic means, er, that it won't harden. And
that includes in the washing machine. So it's a no-no.

I always use old clothes when doing a job like this, so I can throw them
away afterwards. Or, if it is a short and messy job, I use one of those
disposable overalls that make you sweat a lot, so aren't really suitable
for long and messy jobs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Mar, 11:11, Bruce wrote:
masticman wrote:
I am putting asphalt underlay and shingles on a shed,
sealing with non-hardening black mastic. Of course,
I got some on my clothes.

If I put them in the washing machine, will the mastic
wash off harmlessly? Or will something horrible happen?
I am thinking of things like coating the interior of
the machine with mastic, which later attaches
itself to clothes in later washes ...

I would be grateful for your advice.

The fact it is non-hardening mastic means, er, that it won't harden. And
that includes in the washing machine. *So it's a no-no.

OK, thanks for that.

I once tried to fix the soles of my shoes with what I thought
was black, rubbery sealant. Unfortunately, it was black,
non-hardening mastic. I left an indelible trail until I realised.

MasticMan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 22, 9:08*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 07:15:56 -0700 (PDT), masticman

wrote:
On 22 Mar, 11:11, Bruce wrote:
masticman wrote:
I am putting asphalt underlay and shingles on a shed,
sealing with non-hardening black mastic. Of course,
I got some on my clothes.

If I put them in the washing machine, will the mastic
wash off harmlessly? Or will something horrible happen?

The fact it is non-hardening mastic means, er, that it won't harden. And
that includes in the washing machine. *So it's a no-no.

OK, thanks for that.

If you have access to a deep freeze it may be worth trying to harden
it. Put the soiled clothing in a plastic bag and leave in the freezer
overnight. *Remove next day and it may be possible to pick the mastic
off. * *

Hmmm... the mastic is sort of rubbed into the cloth, not stuck
to it in blobs. So I do not think this will work.

Thanks though.

Regards,
MasticMan

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

masticman wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am putting asphalt underlay and shingles on a shed,
sealing with non-hardening black mastic. Of course,
I got some on my clothes.

If I put them in the washing machine, will the mastic
wash off harmlessly? Or will something horrible happen?
I am thinking of things like coating the interior of
the machine with mastic, which later attaches
itself to clothes in later washes ...

I would be grateful for your advice.

Thanks,
MasticMan

If it is silicone 'mastic', then try rubbing WD40 onto it and this should
dissolve the stuff first, then stick the clothes in the washing machine to
get rid of the residue - if it is an oil or bitumen based mastic, use a
solvent such as Swarfega or paraffin (or if you can stand the smell, you
could try Gunk degreaser) before washing.

Or when all else fails, read the instructions on the container or data
sheet - and use the specified solvent/cleaner to do the job!

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 22, 11:02*pm, "Cash"
wrote:
masticman wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am putting asphalt underlay and shingles on a shed,
sealing with non-hardening black mastic. Of course,
I got some on my clothes.

If I put them in the washing machine, will the mastic
wash off harmlessly? Or will something horrible happen?
I am thinking of things like coating the interior of
the machine with mastic, which later attaches
itself to clothes in later washes ...

I would be grateful for your advice.

* Thanks,
* MasticMan

If it is silicone 'mastic', then try rubbing WD40 onto it and this should
dissolve the stuff first, then stick the clothes in the washing machine to
get rid of the residue - if it is an oil or bitumen based mastic, use a
solvent such as Swarfega or paraffin (or if you can stand the smell, you
could try Gunk degreaser) before washing.

Ah, solvents - this sounds promising. It is a bituminous
mastic, so I can try the latter things.

Or when all else fails, read the instructions on the container or data
sheet - and use the specified solvent/cleaner to do the job!

Never thought of that - will give it a try.

Thanks everyone,
MasticMan (or is it MatsicMan?)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 23, 6:41 pm, masticman wrote:
On Mar 22, 11:02 pm, "Cash"
wrote:

Or when all else fails, read the instructions on the container or data
sheet - and use the specified solvent/cleaner to do the job!

Never thought of that - will give it a try.

The solvents may cost more than some new clothes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

masticman wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am putting asphalt underlay and shingles on a shed,
sealing with non-hardening black mastic. Of course,
I got some on my clothes.

If I put them in the washing machine, will the mastic
wash off harmlessly? Or will something horrible happen?
I am thinking of things like coating the interior of
the machine with mastic, which later attaches
itself to clothes in later washes ...

I would be grateful for your advice.

Compare these two options;

A) Throw clothes away.

B) Face SWMBO's reaction when she finds mastic on her favourite item of
apparel.

Its a no brainer really...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
. ..
masticman wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am putting asphalt underlay and shingles on a shed,
sealing with non-hardening black mastic. Of course,
I got some on my clothes.

If I put them in the washing machine, will the mastic
wash off harmlessly? Or will something horrible happen?
I am thinking of things like coating the interior of
the machine with mastic, which later attaches
itself to clothes in later washes ...

I would be grateful for your advice.

Compare these two options;

A) Throw clothes away.

B) Face SWMBO's reaction when she finds mastic on her favourite item of
apparel.

Its a no brainer really...

Unless you are a masochist either bin the clothes or use a laundrette.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

masticman wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am putting asphalt underlay and shingles on a shed,
sealing with non-hardening black mastic. Of course,
I got some on my clothes.

If I put them in the washing machine, will the mastic
wash off harmlessly? Or will something horrible happen?
I am thinking of things like coating the interior of
the machine with mastic, which later attaches
itself to clothes in later washes ...

I would be grateful for your advice.

Thanks,
MasticMan

Paraffin is good at dissolving bitumen. Soapy water can disperse
paraffin, so a handwash with detergent & a spoon of paraffin may work,
soaking the bitch' in paraffin first.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 22, 10:33*am, masticman wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am putting asphalt underlay and shingles on a shed,
sealing with non-hardening black mastic. Of course,
I got some on my clothes.

If I put them in the washing machine, will the mastic
wash off harmlessly? Or will something horrible happen?
I am thinking of things like coating the interior of
the machine with mastic, which later attaches
itself to clothes in later washes ...

I would be grateful for your advice.

* *Thanks,
* *MasticMan

Soak the area with either paraffin or petrol. You could try a hand
cleaner rub vigorously then wash of with washing up liquid