Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Maytag Washing machine tearing clothes

Hello Everyone,

We have a 1 1/2 year old Maytag MAV7504EWW washing machine
which has been getting more problematic since we purchased it. At
first we had noticed a clicking sound when the agitator was moving. We
had a Maytag repairman in to look at the issue and all he could say
was that we were overloading the machine thus causing the clicking
sound. We've been dealing with it since about 7 months into our
purchase however the agitator is tearing our clothes...towels socks
and shirts. We had an old 30+ year old Maytag washing machine which
now am regretting we didn't fix. Is there anything that can be done to
fix this? We also tried the washing machine bags for nylon stockings
etc.. but they are also being torn and a lot of lint is being trapped
in them. I paid about $600 but the hassle that we are going through
I'd be willing to buy another brand if it would make the problem go
away.

Thanks,
Nick
Posted to misc.consumers.house

I assume this washer has a dual action agitator (the cork screw one)?
And your previous washer didn't have this agitator? The agitator seems
to be more rough on clothes than other agitators. Have you checked the
agitator for damage? If there is a rough or sharp edge, that could be
causing the damage too. You can use a nylon stocking for checking on
sharp edges. Just wipe the whole drum and agitator with the stocking.
Important indeed is not to overload these machines. Does your washer
have a separate wash- and spinspeed selector? Perhaps you should try a
different setting with a more delicate setting for the wash action.

IIRC these machines have problems with mildew sometimes too. It's best
to keep the lid open between laundry days, especially if the lid has a
rubber seal on the inside.

Nick schreef:

[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house

The only thing I can tell on the agitator is that the seams on the
plastic mold feels like it has a slight tip (less than the thickness
of a paperclip, but that is throughout the entire agitator.

We are trying the gentle cycle to see if that helps.

Thanks,
Nick

Nick schreef:

[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house

The major appliance industry today is very competitive. Quality standards
are very high. Consequently, "junk" isn't produced. At six hundred
dollars... your machine isn't junk, nor does the shape of the agitator have
anything to do with ttearing your clothes. Tangling them? That's another
story. But tearing them... No.

There is a defect in either the agitator iteself or the tub. Your clothes
are coming in contact with a burr on one of these two parts. The suggestion
of carefullly wiping over the surface with a piece of fine nylon (stocking)
is a good way to find the area. Do it again. It's there somewhere. You have
the clothes to prove it. You simply haven't found the exact source of the
problem yet. Keep looking.

And with regard to mildew issues... nonsense. Unless you close the lid and
don't use the machine for weeks. If you follow the instructions for Use &
Care in the manual that came with your machine, you'll be very unlikely to
have a problem in this area. And if you do, it won't be from the design of
that machine. Other factors will be in play. (I spent about 25years in that
godforsaken industry. Although Marketing may be given the third degree when
it gets to Heaven, Manufacturing will slip straight through the Gates thanks
to heavy competition and good quality practices.)

Nick schreef:

[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"jaygreg" wrote in message

There is a defect in either the agitator iteself or the tub. Your clothes
are coming in contact with a burr on one of these two parts. The

suggestion
of carefullly wiping over the surface with a piece of fine nylon

(stocking)
is a good way to find the area. Do it again. It's there somewhere. You

have
the clothes to prove it. You simply haven't found the exact source of the
problem yet. Keep looking.

Nick should also notice whether the tears are first appearing upon taking
the items out of the washer. It might be a burr, not in the washer, but in
the dryer.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
RnR RnR is offline

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 22:32:42 -0500, Nick wrote:

[...]

Nick, first off, I've got a Maytag washer / dryer about 14 years old
which run good but I was suspecting that one day, it might stop. I
think now if I had to replace them, I'd go with Whirlpool (which
incidentally I think bought out Maytag about a year or so ago; others
can correct me if I'm wrong here) because my last appliance repair,
the repairman told me that Whirlpool was the best and I also checked
consumer reports in the library about 7 months or so ago and it also
seem to rate Whirlpool as best overall for both. I feel confident to
suggest Whirlpool to you and perhaps Kenmore next. I know I will not
buy Maytag for my replacements as there seems to be too many horrow
stories. The only question I really have will be whether I should go
with a front loader being I have an occasional bad back and my wife
and I will be getting closer to retirement age so we are getting old
(according to my teenagers).

That said, I hate to see you have to replace a 1.5 year old machine
due to the expense. Hope you can fix your problem.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Our dryer wasn't replaced at the same time and is about 12 years old
so that's not the issue. As the tearing of the clothes started
ocurring after we purchased the washing machine

Maytag has a 2 year warranty on parts but they want $150 just to get
the repair person to look at the problem so what good is this when you
can buy a new washing machine for $300?

I ran a test with a stocking and the agitator looks ok. One thing I
did notice that underneath the base there is a small gap of about 1/2"
between the tub and agitator. The molding seems very rough underneath
that part, if clothes were stuck it could tear them there. This might
be the problem.

I'll need to check out the local stores and see if I can find the same
exact model and see if those ridges are the same, if not then I think
I've found the problem.

Nick

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 02:32:16 GMT, "HiTech RedNeck"
wrote:

.. .